Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-08-2014, 09:12
Freed from the century

#THB20

I'm guessing everyone just got the email;

"THE HOLY BIBLE

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Manics' mid 90s masterpiece, 'The Holy Bible'.

There's an in-depth cover feature on the album in this week's NME, out on Wednesday.

We'll be announcing some of the other very special ways in which we'll be marking the occasion in the coming weeks and months."

Obviously I'd love them to gig the album but given the weight of THB, in terms of the band history, a piece of art and it's place in the cultural landscape, I'm hoping they go beyond this.

It seems the band have often regarded this album as a bit of an albatross, but it seems they're giving it the respect it deserves by not just tossing away the anniversary by playing it at some shithole that would be better having a bi-pass built over it.

I'm really hoping for some sort of exhibition mixing Saville artwork, demos from the time, footage of the Astoria gigs and unseen photographs. A detailed account of the recording process would be amazing. A band Q&A would be sublime, but will never happen.

Has anyone actually heard anything concrete?

Last edited by Jimi A; 11-08-2014 at 09:28.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:43
I am purity, they call me perverted

I can feel a big deluxe box coming out.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi A View Post
It seems the band have often regarded this album as a bit of an albatross, but it seems they're giving it the respect it deserves by not just tossing away the anniversary by playing it at some shithole that would be better having a bi-pass built over it.
Well they did lots of stuff for the 10th, so I'm not sure that's a fair comment. I'd be surprised if they hadn't done something.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I can feel a big deluxe box coming out.
I will be all over that like a rash.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:49
Doors slowly closing

I'd welcome a vinyl reissue, special edition, documrntary , whatever but please don't do a tour. They're not that band any more.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
I'd welcome a vinyl reissue, special edition, documrntary , whatever but please don't do a tour. They're not that band any more.
I'd like a tour, or even if it's just a 3-date thing like they did for Journal. Mainly because I want to hear Mausoleum played live.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:08
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Well they did lots of stuff for the 10th, so I'm not sure that's a fair comment. I'd be surprised if they hadn't done something.
I know they did lots for the the 10th. What I mean is that they tend to be judged by that album which is the basis of expectation for a sway of certain fans and the more indepth music press. Whilst at the same time they have progressed into a very different band that don't have that mindset.

It could be argued that the band as a whole only shared the mindset during the recording of the actual album. Shortly after that Richey's attendance at gigs became more sporadic due to his health whilst the tensions and unease culminated in the trashing of the equipment at the last Astoria gig.

Since then they've never quite felt the need to hate so much, from what Nicky says. But they're still repeatedly compelled to return to this one album and everything it brings it terms of style an psychology cost.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:09
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
please don't do a tour. They're not that band any more.
Completely agree.

Personally I thought the 10th Anniversary edition was enough. I don't know what more there is really to say about THB. If there is unreleased stuff I'd be interested in hearing it, but beyond that I'm fairly ambivalent about the latest planned nostalgia fest.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:17
Winterlover

I'd probably buy whatever ridiculous super boxset thing they released, if there was such a thing (Who am I kidding?). And I'd probably go to one of the gigs, I know they aren't that band anymore, and it wouldn't be the same as seeing them in 1994. But PCP, Ifwhiteamerica... and Mausoleum live? Count me in.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:17
Desire on its knees

Quote:
agreed: i'm fairly loathed to imagine seeing them play the album live, based on how plodding I found 'ifwhiteamerica...' when they played it on the PPF tour (and even that was 10 years ago!). I just don't think the album would work live 20 years later; they've lost that hunger and attitude required to make an album like that work.

personally, i'd like to see a deluxe vinyl box set, for many reasons:

mainly, it's currently unavailable in the format: there's a gap there.
there's no need for a CD release after the 10 year anniversary edition.
the size of the format would allow much more space for expanded artwork, notes etc (they did say they'd unearthed what sounds like more visual materials that could be used).
they're not appealing to the casual fan with this release, so the collectors amongst us would be more likely to go for something better quality at a higher value; chuck a download code in there and you're saved from all those "but I don't have a record player" complaints.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:18
Freed from the century

I'm guessing after the massive success of the GT Boxset, we can anticipate something similar again. At least.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:20
Winterlover

Has anyone seen the latest tweet from Kieran Evans?

"will be in cardiff/south wales in next few weeks to promote an exciting @manics related event.news coming v soon."

I wonder if that has anything to do with THB?
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 11-08-2014, 10:29
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi A View Post
I'm guessing after the massive success of the GT Boxset, we can anticipate something similar again. At least.
a 2x10" box set to sit alongside the GT box would be VERY nice...
Old 11-08-2014, 10:40
Administrator

Horribly expensive, mismanaged box sets are not something I want!

A vinyl would be nice.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:44
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Horribly expensive, mismanaged box sets are not something I want!

A vinyl would be nice.
But the GT one was fantastic and well priced.