Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 10:51
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nick...! View Post
Is it just me who thought the title sounded like an ill-advised reference to the Richey mystery? Or the use of his words on Journal?

May be completely wrong, though I think if any press also think that they'll rip 'em apart for it.
Maybe it's postcards from themselves or someone else (not Richey) as a young man? It doesn't necessarily mean it's about Richey. They've often used the themes of getting older and how they deal with it as a band in songs as well as discussing it in interviews and I guess it's common artistic subject matter to make comparisons between your younger self and who you've evolved into.

I have been to Hell and back and let me tell you it was wonderful.

I'm building bonfires of my vanities and doubts to get warm
Just like everybody else
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53
Bored of being bored

Really not keen on that title, if you're looking for mass communication it seems a bit weak. Liking the Tim Roth pic, & looking forward to a tracklisting.

I was just saying to the missus the other day, haven't seen Tim Roth for a while. Odd.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:55
Bored of being bored

The title is intriguing and it sounds really nice... who's the young man? Not the Wire, surely?!

Anyway, I'm a little worried about this mass communication thing... I'm not a big fan of SATT (*ducks*) while I like EMG. I also don't care about hit singles, I just want a *good* album....

But yeah, I guess they have bills to pay,kids to feed...!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think it is a better title than 'It's Not War - Just the End of Love', which sounded a bit too emo for me.

I also hope that there isn't a song on the album called PFAYM, I always prefer the album to have a separate title to the songs.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStone View Post
bills to pay,kids to feed...!
Would also make a good album title.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:00
Winterlover

I like this title. Has a nice mood to it.

I don't like the way they've announced a Manchester date at a time when I'm the most broke I've ever been but hey, new album!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:09
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Street Hippie View Post
I think it is a better title than 'It's Not War - Just the End of Love', which sounded a bit too emo for me.
Aye.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:10

i guess the cover will look more or less like that?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkid View Post
Maybe it's postcards from themselves or someone else (not Richey) as a young man? It doesn't necessarily mean it's about Richey. They've often used the themes of getting older and how they deal with it as a band in songs as well as discussing it in interviews and I guess it's common artistic subject matter to make comparisons between your younger self and who you've evolved into.
Sure, but I do think it could sound like a ref. to Richey and so fuel the nay-sayers.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:11

Not sure if this is relevant to the background on the official site, but I found this on tim-roth.com:

Quote:
Wherever Tim Roth goes, his camera goes, too. And Tim Roth has been going places. From Reservoir Dogs to the upcoming Heart of Darkness, this is his Polaroid diary.

I think it all started properly around two years ago. My mum gave me a Polaroid camera for Christmas and I started taking it with me to shoots, when I went out, everywhere. What I like about Polaroids is you don't know what they're going to look like when you take them but you find out pretty quick. I always edit as I go along. In a day I might take 20 or 30 pictures, but I throw out the ones I don't like. I like the colours you get. Some of the stills photographers working on the films I've done have been amazed by the quality you can get.

Sometimes I don't take any pictures for months, or I might take hundreds in a week. I've got boxes of them in my flat, pictures from films I've done -- Reservoir Dogs, Bodies Rest And Motion, Heart of Darkness, Murder in the Heartland, and Vincent and Theo -- shots of family and friends. I was a bit wary of picking out pictures of "celebrities," but the shots here are all people I know or have worked with, so they're legitimately part of my record.

Lots of my friends and actors I've worked with are getting into it now, keeping their own Polaroid diaries. It's one way of filling all the time you spend waiting around on set doing nothing. I think Bridget Fonda took a few during Bodies Rest And Motion. She was always trying to dodge me when I took pictures of her -- she said I always caught her at the wrong moment. I try to stay out of the picture, too. When you do self-portraits you get self-conscious. Perhaps you're not when you take it, perhaps it starts when you're looking at the results. But it does make me cringe. Of course, when I pull out my camera, people always say "let me take one of you," but I always try to avoid it. I mean, I know what I look like.

I suppose the Polaroids are a bit like a diary, but they're not really to help me remember. I think it's better to keep things in your head. On my honeymoon I didn't take any pictures -- I was too busy having fun. Really, I just like taking pictures. I used to try to put them in order. I punched holes and put them on rings, but now I just sling them in the box. One day I'll go through them. Some of them have faded. I know they'll probably fall apart in time, but that's one of the things I like about them, that they're instant but also decay.

The Heart of Darkness shoot was really tough. Every day some kind of minor or major disaster happened -- boats sank, people fell out of trees, got pneumonia. It happened even after we wrapped in Belize and came to London. Some of the film was on its way to the States via Miami. A guy in customs didn't believe there was films in the cans, opened up the cans and held the film up to the light. Things like that would happen, so it was hard. The picture of me and Nic Roeg and the Buddha, he's been saying that's how I made him feel by the end of it all. I was pretty tired by then too. I played Marlowe, the narrator, and that's the look I have at the start of the film.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13
I live to fall asleep

If the entire album art consists of Tim Roth photography I'll be happy. I've got a whole collection of his stuff from the Youth Without Youth set and it would all look fantastic in a Manics album.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13
Bored of being bored

Heart Of Darkness, strange connections again.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:14
Freed from the century

Well the Heart of Darkness link would definitely appeal to our boys (and to me!).
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15
I live to fall asleep

Bloody brilliant news!!!!! Had a shit morning and can't stop crying but this has made me smile

Thanks boys you always meake me smile and turn up with something when I really need it. I love you xxx

Last edited by wireobsessed; 01-06-2010 at 11:15. Reason: stupid spelling!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo View Post
i guess the cover will look more or less like that?

I hope so, cuz that looks great.

Cambridge Corn Exchange - 08.05.07 // NME Big Gig - 28.02.08 // Reading Festival - 23.08.08 // Heavenly Gig - 12.09.08 // Newport Centre - 23.10.10 // Bristol Colston Hall - 25.10.10 // Cambridge Corn Exchange - 01.11.10 // Blackwood Miner's Institute - 27.01.11 // Cardiff CIA - 21.05.11 // Christmas Party O2 Arena - 17.12.11 //