Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-01-2011, 17:53
Doors slowly closing

I loved it when it first came out but aside from The Second Great Depression and Indian Summer I can barely listen to it. The bsides on the other hand...
Old 27-01-2011, 17:54
Desire on its knees

I listened to it the other day after not listening to it as an album for ages, and I realised I liked it more than I had done when I'd listened to it before. Still nowhere near my favourite Manics album, but I would choose it over PFAYM & KYE.

Underdogs is one of the few Manics songs I actually hate (it's OK apart from the lyrics, which just make me cringe) but I like all of the other songs on it.

I think it's an album that shouldn't be played too often, because when I first got it I listened to it quite often and it began to grate on me after a few listens, but if listened to every once in a while it's a very enjoyable album.
01/06/15 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
Old 27-01-2011, 17:58
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
The bsides on the other hand...
Their weakest bunch of b-sides after the THB era :i (and THB is mainly bogged down by the miserable amount of songs which can hardly be said of SATT).

Although Welcome to the Dead Zone is one of the best things of the whole era.
Old 27-01-2011, 18:08
I live to fall asleep

SATT's crap Jack! - like Welcome to the Dead Zone though, one of their best songs.

PFAYM's not a masterpiece but a far more satisfying album, if a little bit like having too much sparkling wine.
Old 27-01-2011, 18:28
Desire on its knees

The production of SATT is much, much better than PFAYM. It would be better with Love Letter From The Future in place of Underdogs and Welcome To The Dead Zone at the end I reckon, but no point in fretting about that now.
Old 27-01-2011, 18:54
Stretched out in the sun

SATT era b-sides were still better than the album.
Old 27-01-2011, 19:47
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
SATT era b-sides were still better than the album.
Definately.
As for the album, it's my least favourite. I tend to go for lyrics when listening to albums, and I think these are easily the worst by the Manics.
Think the music's lacking a passion and adventure seen on all their other albums.
I don't know, probably bullshitting, but it's the only Manics album that I don't connect with. The only song I really get is TSGD

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 27-01-2011, 22:50
I live to fall asleep

I'd take 'Postcards' any day.

I don't dislike 'Tigers' as such, it's just that most of the song's are ok rock tracks with big string sections thrown over them to make them more commercial. I like the strings in 'YLAINE', 'Winterlovers' and 'Indian Summer' but the rest...ugh. At least when there's strings on 'Postcards' they feel like they're supposed to be there. On most of the 'Tigers' tracks it sounded like they'd written a rock song and then added strings at the last minute. In contrast the rock songs on 'Postcards' are full-on rock songs without an orchestra in sight (which is when 'Tigers' was at its best).

Also, there's so little attempt to do anything new on 'Tigers'. Dislike 'Postcards' all you like, but the gospel influence on four songs alone shows up 'Tigers' half-arsed-ness. I mean, just another string section, or something completely different? And as for pairing a Nick vocal with a trumpet...should have been a disaster but worked brilliantly. And while some tracks on 'Tigers' didn't have much of a tune, 'Auto-Intoxication' alone has about three

As for the lyrics, 'Postcards' wins hand down. To be fair, that's not saying much as 'Tigers' is easily the worst set of lyrics they've ever recorded. 'Autumnsong, 'Underdogs' and 'Patsy' in particular are so awful they destroy the songs before you even get to the tune, and the verses of 'Second Great Depression' aren't much better. When Nick comes up with a decent lyric, James puts a good tune to it - 'Imperial Bodybags' being the standout, but the title track and 'Indian Summer' are the only other really good lyrics. In contrast, the lyrics on 'Postcards' are Nick's best for a decade - only 'Hazelton' and 'I Think I Found It' let the side down ('The Descent' isn't great but it has some nice lines which rescue it), and there are far fewer meandering songs about nothing than on other albums.
Old 27-01-2011, 22:53
Bored of being bored

It's in my bottom 3
Old 28-01-2011, 00:03
Stretched out in the sun

They're my bottom two Manics albums.. Not sayin they're shite, just that I think they've got 8 better albums. Overall I think the SATT bsides are better than half the album and they've had some great bsides on this one too. God knows how Red Rubber would've fit on the album, like.
Old 28-01-2011, 01:53
Freed from the century

There is really only one Manics' song I hate: Autumn Song! The rest of the album doesn't fair well with me either 'cept the title track and Imperial Bodybags. SATT is at the bottom of the list.

As soon as I hear the opening chords of Autumn Song the sirens go off in my head and I wanna punch something!

And when I hear that Autumn Song...You better get ready to run!!!

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
Old 28-01-2011, 02:11
I live to fall asleep

SATT's a good album, it's just too shiny and has a few absolutelyshite songs on it. (Autumnsong *cough*). But tracks like Second Great Depression, Imperial Bodybags and Indian Summer are great! (I actually really like Underdogs too, yeah that one edit bit is poorly mixed but that can hardly make the song shit, as a song).

Cambridge Corn Exchange - 08.05.07 // NME Big Gig - 28.02.08 // Reading Festival - 23.08.08 // Heavenly Gig - 12.09.08 // Newport Centre - 23.10.10 // Bristol Colston Hall - 25.10.10 // Cambridge Corn Exchange - 01.11.10 // Blackwood Miner's Institute - 27.01.11 // Cardiff CIA - 21.05.11 // Christmas Party O2 Arena - 17.12.11 //
Old 28-01-2011, 02:19
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrocity Exhibitionist View Post
There is really only one Manics' song I hate: Autumn Song! The rest of the album doesn't fair well with me either 'cept the title track and Imperial Bodybags. SATT is at the bottom of the list.

As soon as I hear the opening chords of Autumn Song the sirens go off in my head and I wanna punch something!
Haha, not quite into Autumnsong hating territory yet. Even if I have seen it 17 times . Loved it first time I heard it and it's just been in gradual decline since then for me.
Old 28-01-2011, 02:23
Stretched out in the sun

The only reason "Autumnsong" sticks out as a poor track to me is because of the high quality of those b-sides.
Old 28-01-2011, 02:27
Freed from the century

I'm happy they didn't play it at the NYC gig. I don't know what would have happened...the feathers would have been flying. Feather boas that is

Actually, I was so high from the show (happy wise) I probably would have been able to deal.

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”