Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-10-2010, 08:26
Bored of being bored

I LIVE TO FALL ASLEEP!! PLEASE!!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:04
Administrator

Motown Junk

You Love Us
Stay Beautiful
Motorcycle Emptiness
Little Baby Nothing

Suicide Is Painless (Theme From M*A*S*H)

Sleepflower
Roses In The Hospital
From Despair To Where

This Is Yesterday
Faster

No Surface All Feeling
A Design For Life
Kevin Carter
Everything Must Go

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
You Stole The Sun From My Heart
Tsunami

Masses Against The Classes

Ocean Spray

Empty Souls

Autumnsong
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
Send Away The Tigers

Jackie Collins’ Existential Question Time
Peeled Apples

It’s Not War (Just The End of Love)
Postcards From A Young Man
Some Kind of Nothingness
Hazelton Avenue
Golden Platitudes
The Descent (Pages 1 & 2)
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
KYE/Lifeblood are only hated by the band because the critics hated it. That is all, they dont seem to have their own opinions they go by what everyone else thinks. The same reason they always play the hits live, they think that is all anybody wants to hear apart from the one nutter who shouts rarities out. They need to come to their senses and realise they are not a huge band anymore, and that most of their fanbase is made up of people who know most their songs and want to hear different ones.
Great post. I think you're spot on there really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A boy called Rita View Post
I rekon the other 11 songs we can expect to see are something along the lines of:

1. La blah durera
2. Australia
3. Yes
4. The Everlasting
5. 1985
6. Me and Stephen Hawking
7. All we make is entertainment
8. Billion balconies
9. Auto-intoxication
10. Don't be evil
11. Found that soul
I'd like to think that was the case but I doubt it will be. I reckon La Tristesse and The Everlasting will make an appearence, and probably Enola/Alone as well.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:28
Administrator

10 more, I reckon..

Everlasting
Enola/Alone
La Tris
Yes
Australia
Found That Soul
Small Black Flowers
Elvis
+2 more PFAYM
Old 12-10-2010, 13:12
Knowlede Is Power

Lyrics from Glasnost turned up on their twitter the other day... its too much to hope for but at least somebody in their camp is aware that the album exists

Regards,
Marwood.
Old 12-10-2010, 19:55
Doors slowly closing

Out of the list, how many songs did they NOT play on the SATT or JFPL tour? Only two, Empty Souls and Theme from M*A*S*H. Pretty lazy, really. I don't like to complain (despite recent posts) but this is fucking ridiculous!
Old 12-10-2010, 19:58
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Out of the list, how many songs did they NOT play on the SATT or JFPL tour? Only two, Empty Souls and Theme from M*A*S*H. Pretty lazy, really. I don't like to complain (despite recent posts) but this is fucking ridiculous!
The dedication James has to not depriving the fans of the hits they are known for (as he's said in a few interviews) is to blame here I guess. Also, it requires a fair bit of effort to learn some new tracks to mix up sets and...well the Manics don't seem to have any of the WORKING CLASS WORKER ATTITUDE which they always seem to like to say.

...yeah.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 12-10-2010, 20:01
Bored out of my mind

That thing about James saying he gets bored if a crowd isn't bouncing around all over the place struck me. They just seem to have this mindset that things have to be a cetain way or they won't do it. It's such a shame cos they could do it if they wanted to. Any other band with that many great records would be getting them out live. Now what was that about going to see a shrink if the band ever split Mr Bradfield............?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 12-10-2010, 20:04
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
That thing about James saying he gets bored if a crowd isn't bouncing around all over the place struck me. They just seem to have this mindset that things have to be a cetain way or they won't do it. It's such a shame cos they could do it if they wanted to. Any other band with that many great records would be getting them out live. Now what was that about going to see a shrink if the band ever split Mr Bradfield............?
The odd thing about that is stuff like Ocean Spray does not make the crowd bounce albeit I know that is a "cool off the fans" song really, but there are a few more tracks that don't have that sort of drive to make people active. It sort of seems to disrupt the set having Kevin Carter jump out in the middle of a good half a dozen songs, just stops the flow.

Old 12-10-2010, 20:04
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
The dedication James has to not depriving the fans of the hits they are known for (as he's said in a few interviews) is to blame here I guess. Also, it requires a fair bit of effort to learn some new tracks to mix up sets and...well the Manics don't seem to have any of the WORKING CLASS WORKER ATTITUDE which they always seem to like to say.

...yeah.
Yeah but why do they think people give a shit about Ocean Spray, You Love Us, Motown Junk etc....basically the singles which never were hits? Just because they've played them alot and can't be arsed to rehearse anything else.
Old 12-10-2010, 20:06
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Yeah but why do they think people give a shit about Ocean Spray, You Love Us, Motown Junk etc....basically the singles which never were hits? Just because they've played them alot and can't be arsed to rehearse anything else.
I stated the same in the post above, it just seems that the band are massively afraid to do anything that isn't suited to them. Reminds me of the phrase you get more conservative as you get older, you want things to stay the same.

Old 12-10-2010, 20:09
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
I stated the same in the post above, it just seems that the band are massively afraid to do anything that isn't suited to them. Reminds me of the phrase you get more conservative as you get older, you want things to stay the same.
They used to mix things up alot more, when they had less to mix up! I think the Manics are definitely victims of that phrase, although similar aged bands like Radiohead and Super Furry Animals still play random album tracks all the time.
Old 12-10-2010, 20:10
Bored out of my mind

There's nothing wrong with those said songs but the band do seem to have this worry about how they are viewed - ie - Ghosts Of Christmas and 'losing their cred'. I dunno, people have obviously put it to them. When James played Archives Of Pain acoustically at Boston Comics he mentioned something about playing different songs so it's not like they don't know fans want to hear different stuff.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 12-10-2010, 20:12
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
They used to mix things up alot more, when they had less to mix up! I think the Manics are definitely victims of that phrase, although similar aged bands like Radiohead and Super Furry Animals still play random album tracks all the time.
Aye, bands that don't seem to really give a shit about how big they are/where they chart though, I respect that so much. The Manics rely on being the publics sweetheart, and they simply seem to be like a partner you've tried to dump refusing to leave your home until they get over a rough patch of insanity, "I'M FINE! THE UNIVERSE IS WRONG!"

Also as on the Last Shot At Mass Communication doc. Nicky saying "we play to so many different audiences, it's impossible to mix up our set night after night," was basically the worst cop out he could give haha.

Old 12-10-2010, 22:02
I am purity, they call me perverted

I hate to be one of the people giving out about setlists but I just don't understand their logic. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why songs like KC and EMG continue to be a staple in setlists to the exclusion of tracks like FTS for example or even TBTGOG or even a single different song from KYE or LB. The fact that they've only played 6 songs from the new album thus far is an absolute embarassment. Why not just call it a 'Greatest Hits' tour and stop raising fans' expectations?