Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 12:58
Born to end

I think it's extremely strange that their most popular album sales wise has, in a lot of ways, gone down the memory hole. We listened to it yesterday on from Pittsburgh to DC under grey skies and light rain...and it fit the bill. Obviously a major stylistic departure from their previous work, with only 4 songs that really "rock". Yet, for my money, its by far the most *interesting* Manics record from a production perspective. It's a fascinating comedown album after the cathartic EMG...I recognize they don't see themselves as that band anymore (and have tried desperately to distance themselves from that 'era'), but there's so much there worth reexamining, and the songs themselves are all quite good.

TL;DR, I think the album has aged rather well...in a lot of ways, it'd be the album you'd expect them to make much later in their career, and not a scant 6 years after their first album. The lushest album they've ever made (IMO over LB), the most introspective they've been, the biggest hit singles and the peak of their popularity. I'd love to have a retrospective...and get that ROCKING Tsunami demo they've spoken about!

On another note, how amazing is it that the Manics went from GT in early 1992 to TIMTTMY in late 1998? Nowadays, bands might release 3 albums in that time frame...MAYBE. And we got 5 albums, all different with great b-sides/etc. Such a different time.
Old 20-11-2017, 14:17
I live to fall asleep

Guess we can forget about any kind of TIMTTMY 20th anniversary re-issue now that RIF is coming out next year?
Old 20-11-2017, 15:12
Knowlede Is Power

They still re issued THB in 2014 dispite futurology being released the same year so I dont think it can be ruled out.
Old 20-11-2017, 16:02
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I hope it does get reissued. But I'd be ok with it 2019 if they play down the 20th and just have an Anniversary box.
Not sure what the new album is going for. It does seem like all they've had the past few years are reissues. And even Futurology got overshadowed.
It'll be interesting to see where they were and where they are now if we get both of them.
Old 22-11-2017, 12:55
Born to end

I bought this but seems a random reissue given its 20 years old next year.

Came with the full inlay card which to be honest would have made a better cover than the dire original.
Old 22-11-2017, 14:10
Freed from the century

Really hope they don't do this.

Mediocre album with little to mark it other than IYTTYCWBN hitting No. 1 in the charts. They should focus on RIF and give that a proper outing rather than yet another year relying on nostalgia.
Old 22-11-2017, 15:25
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi A View Post
Really hope they don't do this.

Mediocre album with little to mark it other than IYTTYCWBN hitting No. 1 in the charts. They should focus on RIF and give that a proper outing rather than yet another year relying on nostalgia.
Couldn't disagree with you more on this. Aside from whether or not you thought it was a good album, this was a landmark record for them in many ways. It was their fastest selling album (best selling to date too perhaps?) and currently the only one to chart in at #1, hit singles, numerous awards, big gigs culminating with Manic Millennium, great B-sides, interesting artwork and themes, unreleased demos/alternate version of songs yet to be aired e.g. faster version of Tsunami etc.

For me personally, this is the first album I heard properly that got me into the band. So I am of course going to feel the most nostalgic towards it because of how it made me feel at the time. I certainly feel it is much more worthy of anniversary treatment than SATT, but that's another argument altogether!
Old 22-11-2017, 15:27
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I bought this but seems a random reissue given its 20 years old next year.

Came with the full inlay card which to be honest would have made a better cover than the dire original.
Ooh could you post a picture of it? Is it the one in the forest?
Old 22-11-2017, 15:58
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
Ooh could you post a picture of it? Is it the one in the forest?
https://instagram.com/p/BXdfTGGFC9Y/
Old 16-12-2017, 21:41
Bored of being bored

That’s similar to the MOV reissue
Old 11-01-2018, 15:56
I am purity, they call me perverted

Anyone know what this is?

Saw this on Spotify from Merchbar -- never seen a version look like this, is it legit?

https://www.merchbar.com/rock-altern...s-my-truth-ogv

Old 11-01-2018, 16:30
Doors slowly closing

The photo is of a press kit with a six-track album sampler on CD and cassette. Each came with a unique Polaroid taken by Nicky

A bad and out of focus Polaroid taken by Nicky, to be precise. Here’s mine. Envy me.

Old 11-01-2018, 16:54
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
The photo is of a press kit with a six-track album sampler on CD and cassette. Each came with a unique Polaroid taken by Nicky

A bad and out of focus Polaroid taken by Nicky, to be precise. Here’s mine. Envy me.

It's not even my favourite Manics album but there was something about the packaging / artwork / look about everything they did around that time that I loved. I seriously hope that they release a special edition box like this one when Truth 20 is released.

And that's 3000 posts up for me yay!
Old 11-01-2018, 18:40
A self-made vacuum

I have two of these. One has a 6 track promo on cassette and CD, whilst the other has the embossed case limited edition version of the album. I'm not sure if there were other variants (other than unique polaroids).

Not sure why that website is using that image as it's completely unrelated to the vinyl. Though looking at the website it seems alot of the images they are using aren't quite accurate.

Last edited by Nobody; 11-01-2018 at 18:44.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:43
I live to fall asleep

Ah shit. More money of mine to the Manics. They never much mention TIMT but it was when I discovered the band during those great teenage years. Looking forward to the extra archive material that Nicky keeps harping on about.