Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-05-2013, 02:32
An imitation of dignity

Butt Naked

Where was this show recorded, what channel was it on, and where did it air? I know nothing about it, and can find nothing about it on a quick Google search.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:14
Freed from the century

It was either BBC2 or Channel 4, and I think it might have been part of Janet Street Porter's 'yoof TV' programming (which she did on both channels). Can't quite cast my mind back far enough, though - could be totally wrong.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:28
Knowlede Is Power

I was thinking Channel 4 or MTV. So long ago!!
Old 09-05-2013, 14:10
Stretched out in the sun

I can't help you with your questions, I just wanted to say that it's one of the sexiest vids on YT
Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth
Old 09-05-2013, 16:29
Builder of routine

a title like that i'd say channel 4
Old 09-05-2013, 17:46
I live to fall asleep

It was Channel 4.

Amazing session / mini-gig. You Love Us melts my screen.
Old 09-05-2013, 18:02
Desire on its knees

It was connected to a programme called Naked City which was broadcast slightly earlier in the evening, Caitlin Moran presented it.
Old 09-05-2013, 18:07
HBIC

Broadcast on Channel 4, Friday 3rd June 1994.
Old 09-05-2013, 18:53
An imitation of dignity

Thanks, Finn. Do you happen to know when the two MTV Most Wanted James/Nicky songs (4st 7lb & She Is Suffering) were recorded &/or aired?
Old 09-05-2013, 19:47
Freed from the century

"Naked City" was an hour long music show shown on CH4 circa 10pm once a week. That week they featured two live tracks ("PCP" / "Faster" IIRC) and an 3/4 minute interview with Nick n' Richey & Caitlin Moran (she accuses them of not washing and they call Mozzer an embittered old man).

They also recorded six tracks as a "mini gig" to be shown on "Naked City"'s late night sister show "Butt Naked" which was devoted entirely to MSP. It was the first time "She Is Suffering" was heard in the UK a few months prior to THB being released.

I've got both on a VHS somewhere but they're both on Youtube no doubt too.

The Most Wanted tracks were recorded in August 94 as I remember wishing Ray Cokes (VJ) would ask them about Richey who was in hospital at the time. IIRC there was no interview just the two tracks played with acoustic / acoustic bass. It was especially odd as it was typically only James solo who did the acoustic stuff ('cept for 92's Most Wanted appearance with Dave Eringa on Keys).
Old 09-05-2013, 20:13
Knowlede Is Power

on a nostalgic note did any oldies here subscribe or know of the Spectators of Suicide fan/penpal list circa 96-98? I think it was a guy called Martin that ran it pre internet days?

He sold compilation videos containing the butt naked performance, glasto 94, loads of interviews/footage, one i kind of loved a documentary about poetry/lyrics and the manics i think Mark Lammar presented it said something like 'many of us get our education from between the pages of a CD cover than a book...it may not be a well rounded one...but that's poetry' whatever the quote i loved it at the time

There were about 4 videos including 'accoustic live and rare' 'the dragon bites back' and 'reclamation'

As a fan pre internet they were utter gems
Old 10-05-2013, 18:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

I have those videos and the cuttings. I should get the tapes digitised and you tubed.
Old 11-05-2013, 19:59
I am purity, they call me perverted

That would be great.

"It's clear to me - and has been since the age of 10 or so - that most people are bastards, thieves and yes - even pigfuckers" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-05-2013, 20:36
Winterlover

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley lambchop View Post
He sold compilation videos containing the butt naked performance, glasto 94, loads of interviews/footage, one i kind of loved a documentary about poetry/lyrics and the manics i think Mark Lammar presented it said something like 'many of us get our education from between the pages of a CD cover than a book...it may not be a well rounded one...but that's poetry' whatever the quote i loved it at the time
I have all of these including the entire Glasto '94 set (admittedly, it's in pretty poor condition visually, but the audio is great!) and that Mark Lamaar feature. I don't know if that feature is all that great really, they mostly just talk to fans about the band's literary influence on them. I believe that scary chick with the blonde curly hair and no eyebrows (her name escapes me right now) is in it. You know, the one who claimed - probably correctly too - that Richey lifted a lyric or two for '4st 7lb' from a piece of her poetry. Damn! Why can't I remember her name? :/

Anyway, I would upload it for you guys, but I don't think there are any free file distribution sites anymore and I'm crap at torrenting things so...

FYI, I did upload in Sound and Vision the entire Butt Naked performance a while back, but given I used megaupload, I doubt it's still accessible.
Old 11-05-2013, 20:41
Administrator

?