Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-04-2012, 21:06
Bored out of my mind

Well, is the portrayal of them any good?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-04-2012, 21:07
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
What are you getting at? Because it's from 2001 it's irrelevant? Say it 'aint so? The ITN archives have recently been put up and I wanted to see how the band and Richey were portrayed. I thought it may have been of interest to people on here, and for people to give their opinion on the (albeit poor) piece.
I'd say mentioning the Manics in that film clip is irrelevant, her depression ( a serious medical condition involving complex brain chemistry - trust me, I've studied it) was hardly precipitated by the band. It's shoddy of ITV to put that in as if it's important. Sensationalism on their part.

And in answer to the question posed by the thread title, no I'm afraid I don't remember it.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:09
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Well, is the portrayal of them any good?
That clip of Ocean Spray sounded good.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:10
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post
That clip of Ocean Spray sounded good.
They used Ocean Spray as an example?? Thoughtless to say the least!

(Yes, I may be getting the wrong end of the stick. I clicked on the link but didn't watch the video in the end. Might do at another point!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-04-2012, 21:16
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
They used Ocean Spray as an example?? Thoughtless to say the least!

(Yes, I may be getting the wrong end of the stick. I clicked on the link but didn't watch the video in the end. Might do at another point!)
The entirety of their 'portrayal' was the reporter mentioning that the girl who died was obsessed [reporters word] with the band and then mentioning that Richey reputedly committed suicide over OS clip.

It wasn't a portrayal to me, more a glorified mention. There must be better clips about them on the archive.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
I'd say mentioning the Manics in that film clip is irrelevant, her depression ( a serious medical condition involving complex brain chemistry - trust me, I've studied it) was hardly precipitated by the band. It's shoddy of ITV to put that in as if it's important. Sensationalism on their part.

And in answer to the question posed by the thread title, no I'm afraid I don't remember it.
Yep. That's the opinion I came here to hear. Her parents however notified the inquest about this apparent causality. She must have been drawn to the band in the first place because their lyrics resonated with her. However, I know of many people who spiralled into a deeper depression when Richey vanished because (for whatever reasons) it was all they held dear in their lives. Whether they are/were 'pathetic' and needed to seek help is another thing and doesn't deny the fact that certain acts can affect certain people for whatever reasons (neurological relativism, I'm sure you've heard of it Prof shrug!) After 9/11 a large amount of people with anxiety disorders committed/attempted suicide (one whom I knew) - the external spectacle can indeed influence the inner psyche of many. It is not however Richey or the band's fault and only an idiot would get defensive about that.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:18
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Yep. That's the opinion I came here to hear. Her parents however notified the inquest about this apparent causality. She must have been drawn to the band in the first place because their lyrics resonated with her. However, I know of many people who spiralled into a deeper depression when Richey vanished because (for whatever reasons) it was all they held dear in their lives. Whether they are/were 'pathetic' and needed to seek help is another thing and doesn't deny the fact that certain acts can affect certain people for whatever reasons (neurological relativism, I'm sure you've heard of it Prof shrug!) After 9/11 a large amount of people with anxiety disorders committed/attempted suicide (one whom I knew) - the external spectacle can indeed influence the inner psyche of many. It is not however Richey or the band's fault and only an idiot would get defensive about that.
It's SHUG!

Everybody gets it wrong. *sigh*
Old 17-04-2012, 21:18
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
The entirety of their 'portrayal' was the reporter mentioning that the girl who died was obsessed [reporters word] with the band and then mentioning that Richey reputedly committed suicide over OS clip.

It wasn't a portrayal to me, more a glorified mention. There must be better clips about them on the archive.
Obsession with the band - ok. The bit about Ocean Spray sounds totally bizzarrre!
Old 17-04-2012, 21:21
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
It's SHUG!

Everybody gets it wrong. *sigh*
That's two people who have called you 'Shrug' in the space of a week.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:23
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
I asked Jeremy Deller a question on the Guardian website and called myself shugshug, they mistyped as fricking shrugshrug!

What else could I expect from the Grauniad!
Old 17-04-2012, 21:23

Quote:
Gutless, I dare you to write some speculative fiction as to why that may be!
Old 17-04-2012, 21:27
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Nah, sounds like something my old English teacher would have asked me to do!

Getting back on topic, people can be obsessive about things and it can lead them to behave irrationally but as you've already stated yourself you can't really blame a band and their music for causing depression.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:28
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
I asked Jeremy Deller a question on the Guardian website and called myself shugshug, they mistyped as fricking shrugshrug!

What else could I expect from the Grauniad!
You'll just have to 'shrug' it off!
Old 17-04-2012, 21:30

Quote:
... and that renders my post meaningless?
Old 17-04-2012, 21:30
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
EH?

Quote:
You'll just have to 'shrug' it off!

I'm changing my name soon for sure.