Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-04-2012, 19:09
I am purity, they call me perverted

Does anybody remember this?

http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist...chers&st=0&pn=

Just wondering what people make of the Manics reference?
Old 17-04-2012, 20:06
Desire on its knees

It's very easy to find something or someone to blame in cases like this. How many people adore the Manics and spend their entire life relatively happy and free from depression? As someone who has suffered from this for nearly 20 years and tried to take my life several times, I can honestly say that, whilst I adore the Manics, they have actually made my life better during that period. To know that there was someone out there who was experiencing something similar to me and trying to bring these issues to a wider public audience gave me something to cling on to, particularly in the 1992-1994 period. If someone takes their life, the first question is why? If that person liked a band with a history of addressing the problem and had a rhythm guitarist (yes, I know!) who suffered similar issues, makes answering that question and allocating blame very easy to do. And when you're grieving, you don't want to look for difficult answers....
Old 17-04-2012, 20:22

They're just looking to make the news seem more sensational. The MSP reference is just peculiar, really. I mean, there are so many bands (Joy Division, Nirvana, MSP) that are in one way or another connected to suicide and self abuse and the vast majority of their fans don't kill themselves (image if most Nirvanas fans would've killed themselves back in the 90's, what a mass suicide that would've been). Like Sherlock says, for most people who are suffering, hearing about someone else knowing what it's like is mostly helpful. I just really think that including Manics there was completely unnecessary - did anyone else notice how they made sure to say the father was a church-goer? As if that would somehow make him less likely to hurt someone else. All in all, it's just a bad new's report I think.
Old 17-04-2012, 20:38
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie12 View Post
did anyone else notice how they made sure to say the father was a church-goer? As if that would somehow make him less likely to hurt someone else.
Not wishing to use this as a platform at all but, fucking hell, we've had two thousand years or more of people killing each other in the name of religion. Isn't it about time we moved on a bit from legend and fairy stories?
Old 17-04-2012, 20:40

so is he out yet then?
Old 17-04-2012, 20:43

Agreed ^

That's just what you get from the news however, they're rarely ever looking to uncover truths or inform the public; for the most part they want to sell copies of their paper/get more viewers etc and most everyone knows this, but it's annoying I think, as the news are everywhere. It's impossible to shield oneself from their warped view of the world...
Old 17-04-2012, 20:46

When Take That disbanded didn't three fans kill themselves?
Old 17-04-2012, 20:49
Bored out of my mind

Not really sure what the purpose of this thread is to be honest, no disrespect.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-04-2012, 20:52
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
They're just looking to make the news seem more sensational. The MSP reference is just peculiar, really. I mean, there are so many bands (Joy Division, Nirvana, MSP) that are in one way or another connected to suicide and self abuse and the vast majority of their fans don't kill themselves (image if most Nirvanas fans would've killed themselves back in the 90's, what a mass suicide that would've been). Like Sherlock says, for most people who are suffering, hearing about someone else knowing what it's like is mostly helpful. I just really think that including Manics there was completely unnecessary - did anyone else notice how they made sure to say the father was a church-goer? As if that would somehow make him less likely to hurt someone else. All in all, it's just a bad new's report I think.
pretty much this. i remember all the hysteria around Cobain, news reports of "thousands of depression help lines set up". well, yeah, it would probably have been a good idea to set them up anyway if there were all that many troubled teens walking around?

i have a vague recollection of a story - possibly the Guardian or Observer - that had the headline "do Rock lyrics kill?". it was about Richey and i think in reference to the aftermath of his disappearance and how it affected fans. they illustrated the story with This Is Yesterday's lyrics.....one of the few on THB that Richey didn't write!
blog
Old 17-04-2012, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Not really sure what the purpose of this thread is to be honest, no disrespect.
To debate Gutless. One could argue about the purpose of many threads on here. If this thread offends you, leave.
Old 17-04-2012, 20:58
I'm just a pasty

The clip is one from 2001! And the reference to the Manics is utterly specious.

Stirring....
Old 17-04-2012, 20:59

Quote:
Agreed ^

That's just what you get from the news however, they're rarely ever looking to uncover truths or inform the public; for the most part they want to sell copies of their paper/get more viewers etc and most everyone knows this, but it's annoying I think, as the news are everywhere. It's impossible to shield oneself from their warped view of the world...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soc..._the_Spectacle
Old 17-04-2012, 21:00
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
To debate Gutless. One could argue about the purpose of many threads on here. If this thread offends you, leave.
It doesn't offend me, I just don't see the point of it and what there is to debate. That's just me though! Carry on, don't mind me!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-04-2012, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post
The clip is one from 2001! And the reference to the Manics is utterly specious.

Stirring....
What are you getting at? Because it's from 2001 it's irrelevant? Say it 'aint so? The ITN archives have recently been put up and I wanted to see how the band and Richey were portrayed. I thought it may have been of interest to people on here, and for people to give their opinion on the (albeit poor) piece.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:05

Yes indeed! (read it not too long ago) A shorter version of that should be taught at school I reckon