Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-03-2012, 20:03
Desire on its knees

Help needed - MSP 1986-1993

Evening all,

Forced unemployment has, for once in my life, made me get off my arse and do something. I'm in the process of writing a book about the Manics (hell, why not - Authors are always told to write about what they know!) and I could really do with all the members of this wonderful forums help.

For the current part I'm drafting I really need memories from the early days and, for want of a better date, I'm using Gold against the soul as the cut off point - To the end of 1993.

The book is based on live shows so any memories, setlists, unusual incidents and especially newspaper clippings of gig reviews and other news (particularly from local newspapers) you may have would be gratefully recieved.

Obviously replies like "I saw them in 1991, they were really good," whilst being nice to know and being grateful for the reply aren't much help!

I'm really looking for those special moments that made up gigs like, I don't know, when Sean was late on stage for the gig in 2005, or if James snapped a guitar string at a crucial moment (eg Millennium gig).

Any help, memories or cuttings would be warmly welcome and if (as I eventually hope) I can get the thing published, all people providing contributory material would be credited.

I just think we really need a definitive Manics book / guide. I'm in the process of creating that and I hope anyone who can help make it as rich and detailed as possible can help me do this.

Please, either PM me, reply in the thread or email me at mattspires1@yahoo.co.uk - or even skype me - just send me a PM first and I'd LOVE to chat.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Last edited by sherlock; 24-03-2012 at 20:16.
Old 07-04-2012, 21:37
Desire on its knees

What no-one?!?!?!?!

Really?!?!?!??!
Old 07-04-2012, 21:45
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
What no-one?!?!?!?!

Really?!?!?!??!
No!!!!! Nobody!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 21:47
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Well, 1986-1993 is a bit limiting. I didn't get into them until 95. And even then I've only seen them live twice
Old 07-04-2012, 21:57
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
What no-one?!?!?!?!

Really?!?!?!??!
Well you want other people to put together a Manics' book for you. Ain't gonna happen. Especially in the current Manics' downturn. You're about 15 years too late. Or 10 too early.

EDIT: Edit to say I just read your OP and there's a mistake in there that undermines the credibility of your project...
Old 07-04-2012, 22:03
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
I just read your OP and there's a mistake in there that undermines the credibility of your project...
it was

Quote:
I saw them in 1991, they were really good
wasn't it?
Old 08-04-2012, 00:36
Winterlover

Quote:
Well you want other people to put together a Manics' book for you. Ain't gonna happen. Especially in the current Manics' downturn. You're about 15 years too late. Or 10 too early.

EDIT: Edit to say I just read your OP and there's a mistake in there that undermines the credibility of your project...
What's wrong with you? Was it really neccesary to respond in such a dickish manner?

I take it you don't read many biographies otherwise you'd know full well that it's standard practice for biographers to interview friends, family and acquaintances of the subject and use the personal/first hand accounts they provide as an aid for recording an individual's life story. There's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in Sherlock's request so don't be such a prick about it.

Sorry Sherlock, I'm a longtime Canadian fan which means I have no early gig stories to share with you. If I did, I most certainly would. I'm sure however that there are a few people on here that would be willing to help you out. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:20
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
What's wrong with you? Was it really neccesary to respond in such a dickish manner?

I take it you don't read many biographies otherwise you'd know full well that it's standard practice for biographers to interview friends, family and acquaintances of the subject and use the personal/first hand accounts they provide as an aid for recording an individual's life story. There's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in Sherlock's request so don't be such a prick about it.

Sorry Sherlock, I'm a longtime Canadian fan which means I have no early gig stories to share with you. If I did, I most certainly would. I'm sure however that there are a few people on here that would be willing to help you out. Good luck!
To be honest I got slightly narked at the OP's use of "What no-one?!?!?!?!
Really?!?!?!??!".
Old 08-04-2012, 12:20
Desire on its knees

D'you know, even though this is still the friendliest forum on the internet, the attitude of some people makes me despair for this miserable planet. Especially seeing as I left it a week hoping to get some great stories and memories to eventually share with the fanbase. Why did i leave it a week before replying? Because some cunt spiked my drink with antifreeze in a pub last week, and I've been in hospital in intensive care with my kidneys failing. I finally get out, log on and find this. Richey was right all along.
Old 08-04-2012, 13:34
Footprint of history

Quote:
D'you know, even though this is still the friendliest forum on the internet, the attitude of some people makes me despair for this miserable planet. Especially seeing as I left it a week hoping to get some great stories and memories to eventually share with the fanbase. Why did i leave it a week before replying? Because some cunt spiked my drink with antifreeze in a pub last week, and I've been in hospital in intensive care with my kidneys failing. I finally get out, log on and find this. Richey was right all along.
Sorry to hear that Sherlock, hope you are OK now. Some of us are nice, I can't help you with much, I was a fan from the early days but was busy having children in the early 90's so never attended many gigs, hope you get the help you need. x
Old 08-04-2012, 13:56
Mr Msppedia

I tried looking into that period when I was doing Msppedia but there's precious little out there. But there's a member on here who was in Funeral In Berlin who did lots of gigs with them around then and he was a great resource, might be worth giving him a pm

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...er.php?u=24411
Old 08-04-2012, 16:26
I live to fall asleep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM6fQ...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Europa Gluten Free; 08-04-2012 at 16:32.
Old 08-04-2012, 17:47
Doors slowly closing

The fact that no one on a fan site like this can help proves that a book covering the 80s period would be worthwhile. Good luck with finding the handful of people who were there, though.
Old 08-04-2012, 20:02
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
The fact that no one on a fan site like this can help proves that a book covering the 80s period would be worthwhile. Good luck with finding the handful of people who were there, though.
To be fair Kirbs I think it could be because there is very little left to say which hasnt already been covered, be it in price's book, nailed to history or any other msp related books out there
Old 09-04-2012, 11:06
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Gladly accepted. All i'm trying to do is something that i would heartily enjoy doing, that I hoped people would be keen to contribute to and would eventually be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in it (which, on a forum like this, I believed would be quite a few!). Christ knows, if we can't talk to each other and help each other out with a passionate shared interest, then what's the fucking point in anything, to be honest?

Thanks for all the get well messages by the way, from everyone who PM'd me. You know who you are - it's much appreciated.