Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-06-2011, 13:04
Doors slowly closing

I recall being rather disappointed by S.Y.M.M. - it was like "we are going to reference an horrific event but we are not going to say anything about it as such". why bother, then?
blog
Old 27-06-2011, 15:54
Bored of being bored

Any time I play the album, I just skip SYMM (easy enough to do, since it's the last track). There's only three or four Manics songs I just can't listen to like that.

"Doubts are crueler than the worst of truths"

Toronto, Canada - September 11, 1999 / London, England - April 18, 2005 / London, England - April 19, 2005 / Toronto, Canada - October 4, 2009 / Philadelphia, PA, USA - October 6, 2009
Old 27-06-2011, 16:01
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
I recall being rather disappointed by S.Y.M.M. - it was like "we are going to reference an horrific event but we are not going to say anything about it as such". why bother, then?
Agreed
Old 27-06-2011, 16:48
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Which is basically the gist of the song, so it's a shame he didn't take that attitude before writing the lyrics.
SYMM... is a bit like this post I'm writing right now - which is about how a good a post this could have been, if I'd actually written what I wanted to say in the first place, instead of just writing a big pile of guff.
Old 27-06-2011, 23:54
Born to end

I always took this as more being about wanting to write about an event but, for whatever reason not being able to find the words. Musically I think it's one of their most interesting songs including a great solo. Probably would have been better for everyone if it was a B-side though!
Old 27-06-2011, 23:55
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.S.E.C View Post
I always took this as more being about wanting to write about an event but, for whatever reason not being able to find the words. Musically I think it's one of their most interesting songs including a great solo. Probably would have been better for everyone if it was a B-side though!
"South Yorkshire Mass Murderer" is musically brilliant, lyrically poor - but only if you fail to appreciate the subtlety of writing a lyric about being lost for words. That's what it's about, not failing to write a song like other people in this thread have suggested. It's about an event that pains you so much you're lost for words when trying to describe your feelings about it.
Old 28-06-2011, 01:21
Builder of routine

I feel lucky I can not focus on words. I wonder why they didn't end with Nobody Loved You (PURE PERFECTION, NLY IS ONE OF THE GREATEST SONGS EVER RECORDED IN THE MUSIC HISTORY). or probably they had some more songs recorded in that session.
Old 28-06-2011, 01:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
"South Yorkshire Mass Murderer" is musically brilliant, lyrically poor - but only if you fail to appreciate the subtlety of writing a lyric about being lost for words. That's what it's about, not failing to write a song like other people in this thread have suggested. It's about an event that pains you so much you're lost for words when trying to describe your feelings about it.
There's a fine line between the two, and if so - not in my opinion done very well.
Old 28-06-2011, 01:25
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
There's a fine line between the two, and if so - not in my opinion done very well.
Okay...I guess it's not done really really well, but for what it is I think it works. It's true I love the music about a million times more than the lyrics but I suppose the real reason I'm willing to give it a pass is James' beautiful high notes when he sings "maaaass murdereeeerrrr"
Old 28-06-2011, 06:52
I live to fall asleep

I don't mind SYMM at all. I have no problem with the admittedly crap lyrics as aesthetically the music fits perfectly in with the overall musical approach of the album - overproduced vacuousness.
Old 28-06-2011, 07:29
Bored out of my mind

Don't start on Truth again............................................. ................!!!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 28-06-2011, 09:36
Stretched out in the sun

Yeah, meaning's been covered enough here, what they all said.

Lyrics are shite but I like the music. I don't think there's another track on This Is My Truth, or any of the bsides of the era that would've made a more suitable closer either.
Old 28-06-2011, 09:40
Winterlover

It's not my favorite song in the album. most of the time I just skip the song.
Old 28-06-2011, 10:34
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Lyrics are shite but I like the music. I don't think there's another track on This Is My Truth, or any of the bsides of the era that would've made a more suitable closer either.
actually, i would argue that for numerous reasons Prologue To History would have been an excellent album closer, now that i think about it.
blog
Old 28-06-2011, 10:47
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
actually, i would argue that for numerous reasons Prologue To History would have been an excellent album closer, now that i think about it.
prologue to history is great, i agree