Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-06-2011, 18:25
Bored of being bored

Classic Rock attacks Lifeblood !!!!!

OK, I posted this list somewhere else but here is the Classic Rock magazine buyer's guide with some quotes and the full reason for their hatred of Lifeblood.

Essential – Classics

Everything Must Go - “...this fourth album is the band’s most bullet-proof batch of songs”

Generation Terrorists – “...a small-town record with its eye on the world; a rock n roll thesis that fused literary heavyweights and LA hair metal with the fury of being young, skint and marked as Valleys factory fodder.”

Superior – Reputation Cementing

The Holy Bible – “The official critical line is that The Holy Bible is their grand work, and the hard-core will piss blood to see it dismissed as merely “superior”. But for the Manics dabbler it is a divisive first purchase, with the savage brilliance of cuts like Faster and She Is Suffering offset by a general bleakness that isn’t for everyone.”

Gold Against The Soul – “From Despair To Where, Life Becoming A Landslide, La Tristesse Durera... a band that caries these songs before it is invincible”.

Send Away The Tigers – “For the first time in years the band sounded like they were having fun again, revisiting the glam metal of their youth on Underdogs and scoring a #2 with Your Love Alone is Not Enough”

Postcards From A Young Man – “... the closest the Manics have come to a street party”

Good – Worth Exploring

Know Your Enemy – “This schizophrenic sixth album is frustrating, home to several absolute crackers (Intravenous Agnostic), some wet weekend balladry (So Why So Sad) and – God help us – one moment of hellish calypso funk.”

Journal For Plague Lovers - “...the unsettling sleeve art, absence of hit singles, and sharp edges of moments like Peeled Apples made this the most raw and thrusting Manics album in years.”

This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours – “...too patchy to be considered a true classic, with the lumbering S.Y.M.M. and Wire’s My Little Empire as tedious as you’d expect from a song written about hovering.”

Avoid

Lifeblood

“It’s not like we had rows or anything,” Wire mused of Lifeblood’s half-arsed recording process. “It’s just we had a theory that we must sound like New Order or Pet Shop Boys”

Contrary to the title, this was anemic: a huge, wafty, water-treading record that reaches for ‘epic’ but defies even the most die-hard fan to recall a single memorable hook, barbed lyric or reason for listening. It’s no surprise that Lifeblood dropped like a stone from the UK chart, that both Bradfield and Wire would dip into solo projects afterwards, or that 2007’s Send Away The Tigers felt like an embarrassed apology.

Bloody awful
Old 20-06-2011, 18:31
Bored out of my mind

Never reading Classic Rock EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 20-06-2011, 18:31
Winterlover

As bollocksy of a list as one would expect from something called Classic Rock.
Old 20-06-2011, 18:34
Footprint of history

Well its obvious they would'nt like Lifeblood being a Classic Rock mag, Lifeblood is about as much rock as Katy Perry,
Old 20-06-2011, 18:47
Bored out of my mind

Listening to Lifeblood right now in support! I think it has parts that are reasonably rocky though of course there is alot of calmness and contemplation as well. Teletexts' Planet Sound gave it 8/10 so sucks to Classic Rock mag! JDB will of course read all that rubbish and agree with it.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 20-06-2011, 18:50
Doors slowly closing

GT is far worse than lifeblood
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 20-06-2011, 18:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Generation Terrorists a Classic?
SATT and PFAYM superior?
Journal only good?

Yeah the whole list is a pile of wank compiled by someone scared of anything that isn't a power chord.

JDB: "Yes you fucking do."
Old 20-06-2011, 18:53
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Love GT but I would probably pick Lifeblood over it, unless I hadn't listened to it for absolutely ages!
Old 20-06-2011, 19:14
Doors slowly closing

I got as far as them putting GT in 'classics' and laughed. That'll do for me, clearly they haven't a fucking clue what they're talking about.
Old 20-06-2011, 19:18
Builder of routine

EMG and THB should be the classics
Old 20-06-2011, 19:31
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
nuff said.

and THB is defo classic. you don't get THB, you don't understand the essence of the Manics.

PHEW THEY HAVE NO TASTE BLOODY BASTARDS, JFPL ONLY AS "GOOD"???? THIS IS A F....NG JOKE.

I dont want to think where they'd include solo albums

edit:
is there at least any new decent pic of the band?
Old 20-06-2011, 19:37
Winterlover

What shite.
Old 20-06-2011, 19:39
Bored out of my mind

Doesn't help that James disses Lifeblood in that interview he did in Holland!
Old 20-06-2011, 19:49
Winterlover

Wankers! Lifeblood is a great allbum.. he's by far Bloody awful!
Old 20-06-2011, 19:57
Doors slowly closing

Has anyone ever compiled a collection of bad Lifeblood reviews? Or should i say, compiled a collection of all Lifeblood reviews. That would be an amusing read.