Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-02-2011, 07:54
Desire on its knees

I don't think they would have done. I wasn't a fan then, but if I think about what was in the charts when JFPL was released there were hardly any "rockier" songs as such (the only ones I can remember being in the charts were by Kings of Leon), it was mostly Dance and "RnB" music.

But I don't think chart position really matters anymore, especially for the Manics. They were never going to appeal to the people who buy or download the music that fills the charts now, no matter how radio friendly or accessible the songs were, because they just don't seem to like that kind of music. So many songs fail to chart successfully, but it doesn't mean they're bad songs - just that the single-buying/downloading public didn't like them. Similarly, just because a song is successful in the charts doesn't automatically make it a good song really - it just means a lot of people downloaded/bought the single.
01/06/15 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
Old 07-02-2011, 08:08
Winterlover

Can you really imagine Ken Bruce introducing Jackie Collins Existential Question Time on his radio 2 show? They would have had zero radio airplay.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05
Stretched out in the sun

Well, good songs tend to to point to good chart position. That's a good thing to take into consideration when releasing an album and trying to flog it to the public.

So, urm, yes.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:19
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesyEsquire View Post
Can you really imagine Ken Bruce introducing Jackie Collins Existential Question Time on his radio 2 show? They would have had zero radio airplay.
Can you really imagine Zane, Lamaqc, XFM, 6Music etc playing it? Well yeah, because they did. Loads.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 07-02-2011, 18:32
Freed from the century

Yes - because they need to appeal more to the people who actually will buy records. Not that the main marketshare of Guetta listening morons don't, but there's always been a pretty steady amount of people who listen to some kind of 'alternative rock' (for lack of anything better to call it),and attach values/value to the music - people for whom a band can be emblematic of a way of life. PFAYM and it's old man soft-rock isn't going to appeal to either group...
Old 07-02-2011, 18:33
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
Can you really imagine Zane, Lamaqc, XFM, 6Music etc playing it? Well yeah, because they did. Loads.
This, it was played all over the place.
Old 07-02-2011, 18:35
I live to fall asleep

I heard PA and JCEQT more on the radio than SKON and INW. I suppose it's just different audiences for each album. I wish JFPL had single releases, I think it would have done very very well.
Old 07-02-2011, 22:48
A self-made vacuum

Its definitely a great debating point. I do remember JCEQT getting a lot of decent airplay at the time.

To have sold more than INW, JCEQT would have had to have shifted roughly 10k in its first week.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

I reckon it's a possibility, the album was of interest to more than just the regular fans due to the Albini input and the use of the left behind lyrics. For a vast amount of people there's been very little interest in the Manics since Everything Must Go which for some marks their crawl into the middle of the road. Their (cough, Wire's) insistence that SATT is up there with their best work doesn't really help dispell this myth. If Peeled Apples and maybe JCEQT had been released as singles I'm sure they'd sell pretty well, better than the PFAYM ones. While they're still pretty arena-indie-rock sounding, they're a bit harder and more likely to appeal to rock fans who still do get the odd bit of rock into the charts (the quality of these tracks not withstanding, eurgh Nickleback no thanks).

The fact is, statements about it being a shot at mass communication aside, old fashioned soft rock just like ELO used to make doesn't have chart appeal written all over it in the world of auto tune and Kanye guest spots. Don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of time for Postcards, but the time has really come for them to make music for themselves and the fans rather than a huge mainstream audience that doesn't exist for them, not for years.