Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-04-2012, 21:32
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
... and that renders my post meaningless?
Which one? And I was having a laugh with Shug tis all.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-04-2012, 21:33
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Which one? And I was having a laugh with Shug tis all.
Sorry Gutless. That was aimed at shrug's post directly below mine.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:37
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post

I'm changing my name soon for sure.
Sugar, keep the shug!

And as for the video. I've not watched it. ITN was a joke back then (Although if I really gave a damn I'd stop paying my licence fee in protest at the BBC "Poaching" Nick Robinson) and amazingly it's got worse.
I don't quite remember the story. I wasn't online and was probably dealing with a break up to actually care. I'll watch it and get back to you SHR, but to be honest if it wasn't the Manics who got blamed it'd probably be Marilyn or something else. Some other band to make this psycho Dad rationalise what he did was "right". IHO (In his opinion)
Old 17-04-2012, 21:41
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Sorry Gutless. That was aimed at shrug's post directly below mine.
Whose shrug? I'm shug.

Quote:
Yep. That's the opinion I came here to hear. Her parents however notified the inquest about this apparent causality. She must have been drawn to the band in the first place because their lyrics resonated with her.
You may be right.

Quote:
However, I know of many people who spiralled into a deeper depression when Richey vanished because (for whatever reasons) it was all they held dear in their lives.
This is your opinion. I don't know how many people might have become further depressed about Richey's disappearance. But there isn't a direct link between Richey's disappearance and this girls death.

Quote:
Whether they are/were 'pathetic' and needed to seek help is another thing and doesn't deny the fact that certain acts can affect certain people for whatever reasons (neurological relativism, I'm sure you've heard of it Prof shrug!) After 9/11 a large amount of people with anxiety disorders committed/attempted suicide (one whom I knew) - the external spectacle can indeed influence the inner psyche of many. It is not however Richey or the band's fault and only an idiot would get defensive about that.
I don't know anything about neurological relativism. Sorry.

You're right what is happening externally does have an effect, especially on mood, whether for good or bad.

I get the feeling you're trying to call me an idiot.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:54
I am purity, they call me perverted

Put it this way,if I was to top myself tomorrow,when they searched my house they'd say "Oh,he liked the manic street preachers,he must have had a history of depression,remember that guitar bloke that killed himself?"...

It's all subjective,and you can't blame a band..

And they probably used "Ocean Spray" because it was the current single at the time? 2001-ish?

*disclaimer-I do not intend to top myself tomorrow*
Old 17-04-2012, 22:00
HBIC

Ocean Spray was used because it's release on 4/6/01 was the same week as the end of James Lawson's trial.

Sarah's father helped her die in April 2000. At the trial he stated she had been mentally ill for over a decade at the time of her death. Her problems pre-dated her interest in the band and it's far more likely that her obsession with Richey was amplified by her mental state, rather than the cause of it. Note that the original news report is much lower key on her 'obsession' with the band, refers to her as a 'rock fan' and pictures Liam G.

Sarah's parents were Christians who saw her fandom interests as inherently unhelpful. Music must have seemed an easy scapegoat, but I seriously doubt that things would have turned out much differently if MSP had never existed.