Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-12-2014, 22:49
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by set phasers to stun View Post
Ah I saw you guys, you looked great!
Old 10-12-2014, 01:10
Born to end

A few things that haven't been touched on, which I think might be worth telling the guys who weren't there.

Just before PCP, James came up to the microphone and said something along the lines of "Obviously this is dedicated to Mr.Richey Edwards" and the minute he said "Rich..." everyone in the crowd cheered. Obviously. But James stood back and let us all clap and cheer. He encouraged it. And after what must have been a minute or something he was about to come back to the microphone when everyone started chanting "RICHIE, RICHIE". To me, it blew james away. He couldn't talk.

Second thing I noticed throughout the first half of the gig, there were concerned looks from Sean and Nicky towards James. It's the first time I've been about 2/3 rows away from the front (might as well have been on the front row with all the surging), but I've never seen a band interact like that before in my life. It's blown my mind. A few friends and me (they aren't Manics fans) are trying to get together to record a few songs and we can't work out responsibilities for us (who plays guitar, drums, bass etc - theres only 3 of us), and as soon as I left I text them both and said "We will be a 3 piece band only. I have seen the future tonight".

Also, right at the beginning when it got to the solo in "Yes". Just as he was about to kick in to it, he puts his legs apart, throws the hand up to the air and strikes an Elvis pose. That, just that, wow. Elvis must have seen that and thought "That boy's fucking cool".

December 2011 - Birmingham Academy
April 2014 - Brixton Academy
December 2014 - Barrowlands Glasgow
Old 10-12-2014, 01:44
I am purity, they call me perverted

What an amazing gig! Crazy crowd! Massive surges, I nearly went under a couple of times (You Love Us was the worst for this I reckon) but I didn't care about anything at the time, it's only today I have nasty bruises coming out. And how many people were surfing over the barrier into the security guards arms? I am sure there were at least 6 people I saw nearby in the first set alone

I liked the way they just came on and did THB with no smiles no chatter. It created a good atmosphere and tbh I think part of them being like this was that they were crapping themselves about it. I thought James looked anxious a couple of times.

I thought 4st7 might have been difficult for them. James forgot the first line to the verse before last, he just looked confused and then started singing the previous verse again (got me very confused at the time thinking I had forgotten the lyrics but when I rewatch my little video of it it makes sense!). Nicky looked very subdued at times I thought.

By the end of the first set I was drenched in sweat and liquids of an unknown nature that came from further behind us, so the second set was a light relief LOL

Last edited by LIPSTICK TЯACES; 10-12-2014 at 01:54.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:13
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMo View Post
When I went to see the JAMC play Psychocandy a couple of weeks ago they did 7/8 songs from their other repertoire first, had a short break then came back on to do the whole album. It sounds like this might have been another occasion where this approach would've worked.

Still overly excited for Thursday though.
After being there on Monday I'm not convinced that'd work. The Bible set is simply incredible but you could see in the band the difference between the two sets. The second half felt like catharsis, release, celebration, whatever you want to call it. I think they need that rather than playing though those songs whilst thinking "shit, we've still got the bible to play tonight".
Old 10-12-2014, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Yeah, typo. sorry.

It just sunk in there was no you stole the sun :O
That bothered me greatly!

Still a quality gig! Was a bit confused when someone asked me 'IS THERE GOING TO BE AN ENCORE' after they played ADFL!

As for the gig itself, well, it was truly amazing. Craziest gig i've ever been to, but such a special night. Met some great people. Memories will live for a long time
Old 10-12-2014, 11:34
Winterlover

I almost forgot about the 'Richey' chant. Can't blame them for being concerned for James, having the sing The Holy Bible in full with a dental problem. Must be challenging physically and emotionally. Great to see he still has the chops.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:24
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
Found a good video of The Intense Humming of Evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVDTyHlmh1M
More people need to find it. Only 650 views.
Old 10-12-2014, 13:22
Bored out of my mind

Works computer not letting me view alot of the vids for some reason but watching the one for 4st 7lbs right now. Excellent stuff!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 10-12-2014, 13:56
Knowlede Is Power

Thanks for the videos.

Awwwh James You could see it in his eyes he was really feeling the music. Especially 4st 7lbs.

I can't wait to get tickets now.

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)
Old 10-12-2014, 14:43
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
What an amazing gig! Crazy crowd! Massive surges, I nearly went under a couple of times (You Love Us was the worst for this I reckon) but I didn't care about anything at the time, it's only today I have nasty bruises coming out. And how many people were surfing over the barrier into the security guards arms? I am sure there were at least 6 people I saw nearby in the first set alone
What happens if you go over the barrier, do you get thrown out of the venue? And in another video I saw, the security at the front of the stage seemed to be passing stuff to the audience, what was that all about? At first I thought they were reaching out to confiscate recording equipment.
Sorry, don't get to many gigs.
Old 10-12-2014, 14:46

No idea what happened to the people going over the barrier! Security were handing over plastic cups of water (very welcomed )
Old 10-12-2014, 15:20

If you've got a man-bun, you clearly don't get thrown out, though you really should after your ninth attempt.
Old 10-12-2014, 15:23
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord View Post
What happens if you go over the barrier, do you get thrown out of the venue? And in another video I saw, the security at the front of the stage seemed to be passing stuff to the audience, what was that all about? At first I thought they were reaching out to confiscate recording equipment.
Sorry, don't get to many gigs.
From what I could see (I was quite near the security guards) they were feeding them through the trench in between the great (sweaty) unwashed and the stage. I know some bloke with a pink balaclava had crowd surfed, and then he turned up again behind me to the left of the stage. So I guess they just let them back out but were told not to do it again, as some of the lads were fairly heavy and some girls got their full body weight on their heads.

Also they were passing out water. I can tell you it was like a sauna, but the only time I've ever been that hot and sweaty and loved it was when I was in bed with my girlfriend for the first time!

December 2011 - Birmingham Academy
April 2014 - Brixton Academy
December 2014 - Barrowlands Glasgow
Old 10-12-2014, 20:09
Born to end

That's very good of them and I must say I'm surprised, I thought security were there to give out dirty looks and the occasional slap.
Old 10-12-2014, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTMA View Post
If you've got a man-bun, you clearly don't get thrown out, though you really should after your ninth attempt.
You should be thrown out on entry with such an abomination, never mind allowed to continually crowd surf.