Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-10-2017, 10:23
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I can't go to bed yet, someone is wrong on the internet...

Yet presumably you'd still go to see the manics despite loathing the support band for the entire tour, yes?

Maybe this goes to the heart of it: manics fans attend so many of their gigs they build up an intolerance for support bands they don't like. I'm not invested enough in any other band to determine if this is true for their fans. Still seems to be a uniquely manics fan trait though. I say this as someone who had to stand through ian brown, razorlight, the enemy...

A mouthy band member of a mouthy band being disparaging about another band's fans? Oh, the humanity.
1. it was not the first time when i was wearing earplugs during the supporting band and it probably won't be the last time.

2. my love to the Manics is greater than my dislike to Sleaford Mods, so yes, i'd endure if i had to. that even a real question?
Old 28-10-2017, 11:26
Winterlover

The support slot is a ballache for basically any band. You're playing to an audience who don't care about you and not only that - you're the only thing stopping them from seeing one of their favourite acts of the moment.

Essentially, the support act is the ads before a film. The best you can hope for is mild enjoyment, or (if the main act doesn't deliver) an extremely slim chance to upstage something. In my own low level time playing in bands I've played to literally tens of people who could care less - so I'd never slag off a band that are essentially just looking for their moment. Everyone's a winner when we're all chilled!
Old 28-10-2017, 11:51
Bored of being bored

Looking at the Set List it's no surprises why the Manics are so predictable but great to see something from Lifeblood in there!!
Old 28-10-2017, 16:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by markreed View Post
26 years and about 50 gigs in, and the lack of new material, or anything other than the usual 15 songs + 1-weird-old-album-track is getting boring.

http://www.thefinalword.co.uk/content/view/1414/35/
Everything is relative at rock shows, and that means there are just certain things about gigs/setlists/bands that can become predictable.

At Foos shows for example, you know they will come out of the blocks with 3 amazing (usually old) songs and then tit about for the next 2 hours doing new stuff and jamming before playing Everlong. Some people dig that, and fair play to them. On the flip-side you've got bands like Pearl Jam (who I don't like for the record) but who sometimes do 2 totally different sets on consecutive nights. That must be incredible for a fan. You'd literally go to both nights having no idea what you'd be seeing, but that might be frustrating if you're not that familiar with them. So clearly there's a balance to find - but I agree with the basic analysis in your piece.

If you compare the sets from the last full album tour (Futurology/RTF), and the sets from Lifeblood, there's not a huge deviation from a general setlist template which MSP have used throughout most of their career. Generally speaking you get about 1/4 new songs, 1/4 rotated tracks alongside 1/2 hits. (There's nothing wrong with that in itself of course, if it produces enough intrigue.)

But it's worth coming back to the point about everything being relative. Back on the Lifeblood tour, Holy Bible songs had been out of the set for nearly a decade, so they were a massive treat for fans who hadn't heard those songs live. Alongside new tracks that were just released, about 2/3 of the gig was a big rush of newness (or old newness) which would intrigue hardened MSP fans I imagine. But that worked because (for example) a staple hit from Everything Must Go was only 8 years old in 2004 therefore still fresh. When the Manics next tour, those tracks be 20-odd years old.

That's why I don't watch the band myself these days, but I think there is still the possibility to inject a bit of magic into the sets, should they want to do it.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 29-10-2017 at 12:02.
Old 29-10-2017, 14:20
Bored of being bored

That Review is very true though nothing a Manic fan wouldn't know, its boring, I find the set lists boring too, I only go if its worth going now, THB gig was different but to not tour Futurology baffles me as its their best work in a long time.

RTF again was hardly toured just a mini tour in April 2014.

I think the last 2 gigs I walked out during ADFL, its just too boring.
Old 29-10-2017, 20:28
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Everything is relative at rock shows, and that means there are just certain things about gigs/setlists/bands that can become predictable.

At Foos shows for example, you know they will come out of the blocks with 3 amazing (usually old) songs and then tit about for the next 2 hours doing new stuff and jamming before playing Everlong. Some people dig that, and fair play to them. On the flip-side you've got bands like Pearl Jam (who I don't like for the record) but who sometimes do 2 totally different sets on consecutive nights. That must be incredible for a fan. You'd literally go to both nights having no idea what you'd be seeing, but that might be frustrating if you're not that familiar with them. So clearly there's a balance to find - but I agree with the basic analysis in your piece.
I love Pearl Jam. For the record.

Have I anything else to add. No. Except....Eddie Vedder seems much more...I don't know the word.....goes with how he feels, not to alienate an audience but he lets his mood take him maybe, I don,t know, but maybe the Manics feel there'll often be new fans or fans that don't follow them to every show anymore so always run the staple hits so to speak alongside their most recent...maybe I ain't analysed it but I do think they have an unfairly high share of moaners within their fandom if I dare be so bold
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 30-10-2017, 13:25
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
It never ceases to amaze me the seemingly endless intolerance manics fans have for support bands and i've been guilty of this myself but sleaford mods are legitimately great. Also, if they're good enough for iggy pop then they're good enough for me.
I disagree. Manics fans usually listen to the opening acts with respect. Regarding their intolerance, since a lot of Manics fans are now following bands that they have discovered as Manics opening acts (PSB, The Anchoress, Wolf Alice, BSP, Idlewild, The Twilight Sad, to name only a few) I find this assertion gratuitously wrong.

On the other hand, I recognise the SM have been a nightmare for me and I wish we had been at a venue where I live because the audience there does react violently when they are called twats by people they don't know from Adam, and their slot would have been shortened on the spot , to my great relief.