Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-10-2017, 10:28
Stretched out in the sun

Have the Manics made their final album?

BBC News article by Mark Savage

Personally, I would say no, I don’t think they have. Given that we know Nicky is currently dealing with some sort of family illness (don’t know the details, nor should I) it’s natural to assume that’s foremost on his mind. Making music is probably very low on his list of priorities.
Old 19-10-2017, 10:36
I live to fall asleep

Haven't they just built a studio that no one else is allowed to use?
Old 19-10-2017, 10:42
I live to fall asleep

Yeah I just read that article too. Reading it started to fill me with dread and sadness but then I thought, well, they've built a new studio and I just think Nicky's making it sound like more of a deal than it is. They'll have a new album out next year! Hopefully.
Old 19-10-2017, 11:50
I am purity, they call me perverted

Hasn't James (and Sean, to his regular lesser extent) been going on about having done and wanting to do new stuff? And as mentioned, they just built a new studio as well so I wouldn't place too much weight on this, I'm pretty sure I've heard Wire say this stuff many times in the past anyway. I think it would do him good creatively to get out of his comfort zone once in a while instead of just sitting at home watching darts and listening to the radio though. The guy needs a proper mid-life crisis or something. Tons of material!
Old 19-10-2017, 11:51
Stretched out in the sun

Hah, this is Nicky Wire all over. Basically, nah he's just being dramatic. The Wire-ism that sticks out to me is from 2000 I think, maybe 2001.. Turned up on the front corner of NME, "I'm not renewing my passport". Bollocks, Plank. My favourite is probably with I Killed The Zeitgeist though.. Oh I've written and recorded a solo album but please don't listen to it or buy it, I love the romanticised lost album. Hey everyone, you over there too... don't look at me. What a scamp.

But aye, last I heard they'd bought somewhere in Newport for a studio. Dunno whether they're developing it or what. So would think it's unlikely they've done their last album. Although that said, I can imagine them treating it as a man cave with all their toys and a cupboard full of crisps where they'll discuss their top ten top tens.

Wonder if they've done their last original physical single though. Maybe we'll be getting a Tolerate 12" next year or summat. But aye, don't like that they've broken their record gap between albums. Doesn't feel like that much of a gap though, considering they've managed to pop out a couple of box sets and anniversary tours, and James has done a soundtrack. Maybe it's cos I'm getting older and time is getting shorter..
Old 19-10-2017, 12:14
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Well I have seen a tweet, it could have been posted on here!
From Sean's Twitter it was a photograph of a CD with 9 (something) written on felt tip.
So they have something. Unless they are recording stuff and just throwing it away going "Nah..."?
If they haven't recorded a note of the new album yet then I hope they make what they have been sodding about in the studio as a free download as it'll be far lesser to us mortals next to their next great masterpiece!
Old 19-10-2017, 12:46
I live to fall asleep

Nicky is historically dramatic -- this reminds me of the time when they went on a much-hyped hiatus (after Postcards I think?) but it only lasted like two years. That said, I was alarmed enough by the article to log back in here so...
Old 19-10-2017, 13:01
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exopotamie View Post
I was alarmed enough by the article to log back in here so...
Ha snap! It might also give me an opportunity to finally get up to 3,000 posts after all these years!

Rather than not releasing any more albums I can still see them going for one last hurrah to be honest. Having said that, if Futurology is their last original work then it's not a bad one to bow out on.

However, we know a bunch of songs have been demoed so I can only assume that they they've hit a stumbling block and are struggling to finish it off. It could also be that they have lost the thread of the album or have come to realise that the songs done so far aren't strong enough to put out.
Old 19-10-2017, 14:01
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
Ha snap! It might also give me an opportunity to finally get up to 3,000 posts after all these years!

Rather than not releasing any more albums I can still see them going for one last hurrah to be honest. Having said that, if Futurology is their last original work then it's not a bad one to bow out on.

However, we know a bunch of songs have been demoed so I can only assume that they they've hit a stumbling block and are struggling to finish it off. It could also be that they have lost the thread of the album or have come to realise that the songs done so far aren't strong enough to put out.
Aye, suspect you might've hit the nail on the head there. Wouldn't be the first time they've lost track or the plan's changed or whatever. Know Your Enemy is all over the place and that's part of its charm for me. Wonder at what point they realised Rewind The Film and Futurology weren't gonna be a double album either. Very different albums, but couple of tracks I reckon could be just as well at home on either, Divine Youth, I Miss The Tokyo Skyline, maybe even Futurology if they did that acoustic.. Would love to know more about that era, whether Walk Me To The Bridge was written before Show Me The Wonder or whatever.
Old 19-10-2017, 15:42
Bored of being bored

Hmmmm.....

Wouldn't say the article title really reflects the quotes. Even this bit:

Speaking of the back-to-back sessions and release for their last two acclaimed albums ‘Rewind The Film‘ and ‘Futurology‘, Wire continued: “It sapped us of our creative juices. It’s really frightening actually because I just don’t know [if we’ll have another record]. It’s hard to see one coming out at the moment.”

If you take out the implied bit the NME have included then it just sounds a bit rambly. No threat to split the band or never release anything, just an implication that things aren't flowing as they once did.
Old 19-10-2017, 15:42
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post

Half the time, the Manics are the worst judges of their own music.
Old 19-10-2017, 17:29
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Half the time, the Manics are the worst judges of their own music.
EVERYONE!! Whenever a "Send your questions to the Manics" happens in print, radio or TV.
All spam the broadcaster or publisher with that question!
Are you the worst judges of your own music?
Old 19-10-2017, 17:34
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I'm not sure why they don't do an instrumental album. You don't always have to have something to say and they haven't done a sub par instrument track yet.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 19-10-2017, 17:58
Builder of routine

The answer to my question in the gig thread is in here.
Thought it was bollox. Their studio has strict planning conditions.. only they can use it and I think only a max of 8 people can be in there ? No guided tours then
Old 19-10-2017, 21:23
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

By the way, this conversation is working on the assumption that what Nicky Wire says, actually happens!

Stand back, I have political powers!