Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 08:51
I live to fall asleep

This video is an absolute disgrace. And they did it again: first an (ugly! those colors!) lyric video, and an 'official video' two weeks later. Same with international blue.
If there is one rule, it's not to split attention (if you want attention). I.e., the views on Youtube for the lyric video won't transfer to the official one. Why not release the song when the 'official video' is ready. Amateuristic.

2001 Axion Beach Rock - Zeebrugge, BEL
2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2003 Midtfyns Festival - Ringe, Denmark
2004 IOW Festival - Isle Of Wight, UK+ Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2004 Wembley Arena - London, UK
2006 Haldern Pop - Haldern, Germany
2007 Rocknacht - Köln, Germany + Hexagon - Reading, UK + Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2008 Pukkelpop Festival - Kiewit, BEL
2009 Roundhouse - London, UK + Lokerse Feesten - Lokeren, BEL
2011 Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK + Cardiff International Arena - Cardiff, Wales + Pinkpop, Landgraaf, Holland + O2 Arena - London, UK
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
2014 Brixton Academy - London, UK + AB - Brussels, BEL
2016 AB - Brussels, BEL+ Royal Albert Hall - London, UK
Old 11-06-2021, 11:25
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiZi View Post
This video is an absolute disgrace. And they did it again: first an (ugly! those colors!) lyric video, and an 'official video' two weeks later. Same with international blue.
If there is one rule, it's not to split attention (if you want attention). I.e., the views on Youtube for the lyric video won't transfer to the official one. Why not release the song when the 'official video' is ready. Amateuristic.
Doing well on YouTube these days is about doing well on consecutive videos - that may be the reason they do two for each song
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 11-06-2021, 15:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Well said, Tim!
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 11-06-2021, 17:06
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
>14,300 views, >1,000 likes, 11(eleven, total) dislikes so far.

Come on FD, I’m sure you could get that up to at least 20 dislikes before the day is out if you really really try.

(Which is not to invalidate anyone’s opinion, just to say maybe you’re in the minority so perhaps not an absolute disgrace?)

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 11-06-2021, 17:17
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

It's not worth the effort leaving a dislike on a video (especially one where the effort given isn't that much to begin with, JUST JOKING!). If we're using YouTube metics, it probably means Together Stronger is the best Manics tune of the last ten years, I'll leave that hill for whoever wants to die on it.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 11-06-2021, 18:36
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
>14,300 views, >1,000 likes, 11(eleven, total) dislikes so far.

Come on FD, I’m sure you could get that up to at least 20 dislikes before the day is out if you really really try.

(Which is not to invalidate anyone’s opinion, just to say maybe you’re in the minority so perhaps not an absolute disgrace?)
Wow, I love those stats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
It's not worth the effort leaving a dislike on a video (especially one where the effort given isn't that much to begin with, JUST JOKING!). If we're using YouTube metics, it probably means Together Stronger is the best Manics tune of the last ten years, I'll leave that hill for whoever wants to die on it.
It's their third number one on physical. I remember seeing it but for a few dollars more I bought something else.
Orwellian their fourth number one if physical single?
TUVL gaining interest. Have a happy summer unless emergency follow up news.
Old 11-06-2021, 18:38
I live to fall asleep

As much as I adore the band ("This one's for the freaks" is about me;-)), the more I think their commercial branding/promo is below par. For my job I'm working with some grand professional 'brand'-agencies, and this kind of promo-campaign would never ever get a release.

I guess it has to do with budgets. And of course, the number of views on Youtube isn't correlated with quality, but an attractive video or promo-campaign could lead many people to the music. Which isn't the case. We got the same Futurology-kind-of vibe (THB for the 21th century) as teaser, followed by ABBA-music. Come on.
I think Orwellian is one of their best songs, but its strength is really e.g. James' voice on the track. Would be logical you'd see him sing. Combined with intelligent referrals to Orwell (who is very popular these days).
In Europe: not a single mention of the track nor album (except KINK in the Netherlands or some rusty news-sites)

Hey, I might be a little too negative, but I honestly think I could set op a better campaign (putting the band forward as grown up intellectuals; one of the last giants standing; plenty of ideas)

2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2007 Rocknacht - Köln, Germany + Hexagon - Reading, UK + Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2011 Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK + Cardiff International Arena - Cardiff, Wales + Pinkpop, Landgraaf, Holland + O2 Arena - London, UK
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
Old 11-06-2021, 18:46
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
Well said, Tim!
Thanks, Khiz ;-).
In Belgium we say 'you are harshest on the ones you love the most' (love you most, love you mooost)

2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
Old 11-06-2021, 18:50
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
As much as I adore the band ("This one's for the freaks" is about me;-)), the more I think their commercial branding/promo is below par. For my job I'm working with some grand professional 'brand'-agencies, and this kind of promo-campaign would never ever get a release.

I guess it has to do with budgets. And of course, the number of views on Youtube isn't correlated with quality, but an attractive video or promo-campaign could lead many people to the music. Which isn't the case. We got the same Futurology-kind-of vibe (THB for the 21th century) as teaser, followed by ABBA-music. Come on.
I think Orwellian is one of their best songs, but its strength is really e.g. James' voice on the track. Would be logical you'd see him sing. Combined with intelligent referrals to Orwell (who is very popular these days).
In Europe: not a single mention of the track nor album (except KINK in the Netherlands or some rusty news-sites)

Hey, I might be a little too negative, but I honestly think I could set op a better campaign (putting the band forward as grown up intellectuals; one of the last giants standing; plenty of ideas)
This all makes sense in the way you’ve framed it, but it presumes promotion is still one of their top priorities. I’m not sure it is. Obviously it's still a factor, but they’ve said this was intended to be more experimental. They told us PFAYM was the ‘last shot at mass communication’. I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It isn’t the 90s anymore and I think the band are accepting that more than some (erstwhile?) fans are. Maybe they didn’t hire a BAFTA-winning film director to just make immediate advertising campaigns, you know?

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 11-06-2021, 18:58
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
This all makes sense in the way you’ve framed it, but it presumes promotion is still one of their top priorities. I’m not sure it is. Obviously it's still a factor, but they’ve said this was intended to be more experimental. They told us PFAYM was the ‘last shot at mass communication’. I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It isn’t the 90s anymore and I think the band are accepting that more than some (erstwhile?) fans are. Maybe they didn’t hire a BAFTA-winning film director to just make immediate advertising campaigns, you know?
This might be the case, indeed, promo not being a priority. Orwellian itself isn't experimental though, nor was RIF - so I was presuming they still aim for some kind of modest mass communication ;-)

2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
Old 11-06-2021, 19:04
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
This might be the case, indeed, promo not being a priority. Orwellian itself isn't experimental though, nor was RIF - so I was presuming they still aim for some kind of modest mass communication ;-)
Lol @ modest mass communication, I like that.

Sorry, I didn’t mean the music/song, I was referring to this tweet:

Quote:
““For this album project, Wire and myself decided there should be more experimentation to the visual approach." - Kieran Evans.”
The comments from people saying the last good video was SMTW would seem to indicate some people want more band performing+conventional narrative-type videos. But they’re basically saying that isn’t the aim, I think. Well, and it quite obviously isn’t the result too!

Last edited by Porco; 11-06-2021 at 19:10.
Old 11-06-2021, 20:31
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:

The comments from people saying the last good video was SMTW would seem to indicate some people want more band performing+conventional narrative-type videos. But they’re basically saying that isn’t the aim, I think. Well, and it quite obviously isn’t the result too!
In fairness, SMTW is probably an outlier in the Manics music video history as I can't really think of another one with quite a straight forward narrative except maybe It's not war and even that is subtext heavy.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 11-06-2021, 21:03
Builder of routine

Found the cuts with the band a bit jarring for my eyes. Kinda made me dizzy watching it - I guess cos they were moving and eyes focused on them ..then cut to a still. Dunno ...prob just my dodgy eyes
Old 11-06-2021, 21:03
Doors slowly closing

Oh well. I liked it. Sorry for those of you who didn't get anything out of it.

14 dislikes now! Wow.

>1100 likes though.

Old 11-06-2021, 21:33
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
It's a grower more than the associated song is. And I was wrong. It's 5... 4...3..2.1.
I love the effect on the pictures. I think the photography is amazing.
And if that's what the rest of the album will look like videowise, ok! But they're going to have to come back to performance videos one day.
Won't be a day goes by where I don't watch this video a few times.
It did grow on me. Huge shock to expectation systems.
We should get another track before the album's release.
You want jinxing? Please, please don't let it's release date delayed. That is my Falling Down no fuck off, that was the one simple thing the system had to get right.
It won't though.
Enjoy weekend