Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-08-2022, 12:23
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Not the first time I am asking you this, but what are you on about?

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 15-08-2022, 13:57
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Not the first time I am asking you this, but what are you on about?
Which part is the most troublesome for you to understand hun?
Old 15-08-2022, 14:08

Quote:
There will be those who dismiss these, potentially gaslighting others who consider these events to be evil, and then there will be others who raise the uncomfortable sense that a thoroughly disgusting abuser is name-checked

I'm sorry if you feel personally affected by the accusations against Brian Warner but there is no link or endorsement of abuse between the actions of Brian Warner and him being name checked in the re-release of a 21 year old song. Following your logic, every song barring This is Yesterday would have to be removed from the Holy Bible because they reference one abuser or another. Can we all agree it's a shitty line regardless of the name check and move on.

Old 15-08-2022, 14:21

Quote:
I'm sorry if you feel personally affected by the accusations against Brian Warner but there is no link or endorsement of abuse between the actions of Brian Warner and him being name checked in the re-release of a 21 year old song. Following your logic, every song barring This is Yesterday would have to be removed from the Holy Bible because they reference one abuser or another. Can we all agree it's a shitty line regardless of the name check and move on.
What are you on about? To go from claiming you don't understand what I wrote, to projecting something onto me; how bizarre. Off you pop now!
Old 15-08-2022, 16:47
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Well I'm jolly well looking forward to it. I wonder if Door To The River was always stripped back and the strings added for it's inclusion on Forever Delayed.
Was good to read the Uncut review. About five weeks to go. The finish line is in sight!
We can't keeL over now after keeping the thread going for so long.

Last edited by Son of Stopped; 15-08-2022 at 17:11. Reason: Keel not keep
Old 15-08-2022, 17:25
Stretched out in the sun

I’ve always believed that “And Brian Warner has a tasty little ass.” is actually a ridiculously specific reference.

“The Convalescent” is basically a song inspired by Wire looking at the huge collage on the walls in his house, similar to the collage the Manics have always had in both Faster Studios and Door To The River Studios. Images of musicians, artists, film stars, paintings, etc that act as inspiration.

In either 1999 or 2000, Manson played Reading & Leeds and there was a famous photo of him mooning the audience but to the extent that he had his arse cheeks fully spread. That photo was then made into a poster that was included in Melody Maker - I know because it adorned my own bedroom collage! So in all likelihood, given the timeframe of that poster coming out and the writing era for the KYE tracks, plus his proclivity for religiously purchasing Melody Maker every week, Wire also had that exact same poster in his home collage and that’s why it ended up being referenced in “The Convalescent”.
Old 15-08-2022, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
I’ve always believed that “And Brian Warner has a tasty little ass.” is actually a ridiculously specific reference.

“The Convalescent” is basically a song inspired by Wire looking at the huge collage on the walls in his house, similar to the collage the Manics have always had in both Faster Studios and Door To The River Studios. Images of musicians, artists, film stars, paintings, etc that act as inspiration.

In either 1999 or 2000, Manson played Reading & Leeds and there was a famous photo of him mooning the audience but to the extent that he had his arse cheeks fully spread. That photo was then made into a poster that was included in Melody Maker - I know because it adorned my own bedroom collage! So in all likelihood, given the timeframe of that poster coming out and the writing era for the KYE tracks, plus his proclivity for religiously purchasing Melody Maker every week, Wire also had that exact same poster in his home collage and that’s why it ended up being referenced in “The Convalescent”.
Now that is an informed response (unlike the one before it). Some might call this a red-flag.
Old 15-08-2022, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
Not such a tasty little ass now
This is you right? This is the level of discussion you're bringing to the table. Grow up.

Old 15-08-2022, 19:50
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Now that is an informed response (unlike the one before it). Some might call this a red-flag.
Well excuse me but I thought I raised an interesting point about Door To The River.
And while he can speak for themselves, Mr Richey is happily married and they have a child.
It's almost as if the stuff you loved in your teens has no bearing on the person you are right now.
Anyway, what if the Manson line is kept in but the outro gets cut down? Or even edit out the Teletext lyric?
We'll find out soon enough. I was aware of Manson, but kept my distance. It's not that difficult to be an "outspoken rebel" in American music. You just have to say something.
Would hate to live next door to him. Dropped by his label and more voices being raised about his behaviour. I think being edited out of The Convalescent (If that's what happened) probably the least of his worries.
Haven't we got a thread about Marilyn Manson? Very little I can say about the case. I wasn't there. It doesn't sound like it's going his way. Instinctively I listen more to the accusers. Hasn't he got a trial date set about this?
If only there were songs on KYE about Bob Dylan and Jimmy Savile.
I really think a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" type series would be perfect for the Manics.
Old 15-08-2022, 20:33
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Cant wait for thr kick off on here if it turns out they havnt deleted the Brian Warner line. I personally dont think they will have. Its not like the manics havnt sung about problematic people before. I mean they literally quoted Myra Hindley.
Called it lol
Old 15-08-2022, 21:32
Freed from the century

If they do edit the line then it would at least stop me wondering each time if Wire genuinely thought Mardi Gras rhymed with ass or if JDB refused to sing it as 'tasty little arse'
Old 16-08-2022, 06:15
Winterlover

An interesting discussion.

20 years ago I found Manson a disguisting idiot and his music annoyed me a lot. I remember an interview with JDB. He was explaining the lyric saying they like Manson and JDB would really love to be like him. To say he has a tasty little ass was Wire's way to say the same.

This annoyed me a lot too, but no comparison to playing on Cuba of course.

I am happy to see the dudes got into trouble because of their horrible taste. :-) I find it ok if they remove the line, but they should issue a statement and explain what the reason was.

And: in 2001 a girl which attended Manson's gig in Prague told me the girls next to her were offered to visit a private party of Manson's :-)
Old 16-08-2022, 13:36

Quote:
This is you right? This is the level of discussion you're bringing to the table. Grow up.
Oooh now I'm told. Really, if you don't like it, don't respond.
Old 16-08-2022, 13:41

Quote:
Which part is the most troublesome for you to understand hun?

Old 17-08-2022, 15:44
An imitation of dignity

Sooooooooo… :-/ moving on.
No strings on the remixed Door To The River. It’s still going to be beautiful, right?