Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-02-2019, 13:15
I am purity, they call me perverted

Tremendously sad news.

I remember watching short-lived political panel show If I Ruled the World back in 1999, shortly after the Manics won a couple of BRITs, and Jeremy Hardy's politician character on it congratulated the Janet Street Preachers for their win, complementing them on their big teeth.
Old 01-02-2019, 22:09
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
Tremendously sad news.

I remember watching short-lived political panel show If I Ruled the World back in 1999, shortly after the Manics won a couple of BRITs, and Jeremy Hardy's politician character on it congratulated the Janet Street Preachers for their win, complementing them on their big teeth.
I remember him being on a panel where the question What are the Brits? came up

He answered An occupying force in Northern Ireland and grinned

He was very funny and this came out the blue. He was far too young to exit the stage
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 03-02-2019, 03:59

I finally *got* Journal For Plague Lovers last year, one night. Just put it on, listened through it and understood. After ten years of being puzzled by its lyrics, compositions, mood and most of all, its popularity among fans. It's not in my top five, or even seven, but I get it now. For me -- it's 100% all about the concept and almost 0% music. It's a truly strange collection of short tunes -- a between-albums lyricist's scrapbook, set to strange, short pieces of rock music that flow into one another. It's half-formed, dark, funny, at times cold like metal, stuck to your tongue in the dead of winter.

And, it really can't be understated -- the man who's notes we're hearing became one of the biggest unsolved disappearances of all time. I mean, c'mon it's Britain, how big is it? How is it possible to *vanish* here?! Anyway, this is the manics at their weirdest. It's perhaps even more unsettling than The Holy Bible in a way. It's just ungainly at times. The lumbering off rhythm of Doors Closing Slowly, the nonsensical bonhomie of Jackie Collins.

These aren't top notch Richie lyrics in any way, they truly have all the signs of a lyricist transitioning from one topic to another. But they're still very, very interesting. Truly unlike anything else.

My opinion on it is pretty much the same as James'. I saw an article where he ranked manics albums and put it in the lower half, saying the idea was more important than the music that time. I almost never agree with them on their own work, but this time I do.

Also, it's really, really critique-proof work. What can anyone say against something so unique and idiosyncratic?

Last edited by Marat Sar; 03-02-2019 at 04:02.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:27
Doors slowly closing

The song that sums up JFPL for me is Bag Lady, which is a shame as it isn’t on it
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 03-02-2019, 16:23

I was totally opposed to JFPL as soon as it was announced because it felt like such an intentional step backwards (especially with all the Holy Bible comparisons from the band and press), and following the already somewhat backwards-looking SATT it really felt like they'd given up on doing anything new after Lifeblood flopped and were cashing in on their past. I gave it one listen and immediately concluded it sounded like KYE b-sides and never listened again.

It was only with the hype around Futurology that I felt able to really get excited about the band again, and revisited it and it clicked immediately. I don't claim to have any real understanding of the lyrics - I'm a child of EMG and never found the earlier albums that accessible or interesting - but I think it hangs together pretty well and is mostly really solidly written. So I stopped calling it Journal for Plague Bibles (to fit alongside Gold Against the Tigers, Postcards Must Go and This is My Film, Rewind Yours).
Old 12-02-2019, 09:18
Doors slowly closing

I think RIF is possibly the best Manics album title acronym. This is what they make me think of:

GT - A racing car, or a gin & tonic (don’t mix the two!).
GATS - Nickname for a cricketer.
THB - Some kind of dangerous chemical.
EMG - Some sort of European regulatory body.
TIMTTMY - A Mary Poppins song about chimney sweeps (Tim t’t’mee).
KYE - What a dyslexic person might use to unlock a door etc.
L - Hell ((‘ell) for the band, apparently).
SATT - Past participle of ‘sit’.
JFPL - Some sort of American sporting division. Jump Far Premier League?
PFAYM - P’Fame - dismissive tutting about celebrity.
RTF - Rich Text Format computer file.
F - Expletive.
RIF - A catchy, often repeated hook, frequently played on or associated with the guitar.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 12-02-2019, 09:33
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I think RIF is possibly the best Manics album title acronym. This is what they make me think of:

JFPL - Some sort of American sporting division. Jump Far Premier League?
Presented by Jiff Pluh for overseas broadcasts!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:14
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Presented by Jiff Pluh for overseas broadcasts!
Jiff Pluh... lol

Sounds Australian!

G’day, today on the Jamp Far Primier Lege we’ve got a rimarkible clip where a funny litle marsupial wandered onto the fild...! I’m Jiff Pluh!

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 12-02-2019, 16:40

The working title "Idle European" (from the Truth & Memory doc -- freeze frame when panning lyrics sheets) was a much better title for Valley Boy.

European Miracle was a much, much, much better title for Europa Geht Durch Mich.

Had they staid with them they'd have a European trilogy now (with Miss Europa)
Old 15-02-2019, 15:03
Stretched out in the sun

Very sad to read on Facebook just now that John Slatex is retiring Manic Street Mania after 20 years. He’s been such an integral part of Manics fandom and has put so much hard work into it and he was one of the first Manics fans that I ever met.
Old 15-02-2019, 15:39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Very sad to read on Facebook just now that John Slatex is retiring Manic Street Mania after 20 years. He’s been such an integral part of Manics fandom and has put so much hard work into it and he was one of the first Manics fans that I ever met.
Really? This is very sad news, indeed.
Old 17-02-2019, 20:19
Bored of being bored

I can't remember reading this before, but enjoyed reading back on the recording of GATS, including Richey's first guitar playing!

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msp...17th_July_1993
Old 17-02-2019, 22:10
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
That is a shame to read. It feels like the manics fan is a dying breed these days - this place being swallowed by social media, long time fans shutting up shop or selling off all their stuff, books being written by vindictive opportunists...
Actually, does half the stuff that gets talked about on here even come up in zuckerberg's creepy little sandpit?
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 17-02-2019, 22:18
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
That is a shame to read. It feels like the manics fan is a dying breed these days - this place being swallowed by social media, long time fans shutting up shop or selling off all their stuff, books being written by vindictive opportunists...
Actually, does half the stuff that gets talked about on here even come up in zuckerberg's creepy little sandpit?
Is it cos we're all getting old?
Old 17-02-2019, 22:51
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Is it cos we're all getting old?
Maybe, but that argument seems a tad too simplistic to me, of course the fanbase is getting older and they have been a cult band for most of their existence; yet they sell out gigs pretty quick and the crowds don't seem that old for a band at this stage in its lifespan. Nicky has often talked about there being a lot of new blood in the audience. I also think their luddism when it comes to the internet really has not done them any favours, they should have embraced it from the beginning but then they've always had an uneasy relationship with the fan community (to put it lightly).

I suppose what i wanted to know, as someone who doesn't use the big social medias, is - have the topics and theorising and appreciation and random thoughts and all the rest of it transplanted to social media or is this really all there is? Is this is as good as it gets?
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.