Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-02-2011, 11:11
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Bryan Adams did three encores at wembley in 1992. Thought it entertaining to see the crowd stay for the first one then some of em not expect the second one. By the third everyone on the pitch started leaving only to turn around and move back en masse when he came back again. I know he's a bit shit but back then i thought he was AMAZING.
Three encores is too much! Travis did about six hundred encores at a festival in Latvia a couple of years ago, so the manics were about half an hour late on. I was not impressed; the Latvians loved it though...
I really don't mind if I'm being lied to

It's the facts of life sunshine
Old 22-02-2011, 11:18
Doors slowly closing

It's always really cringeworthy when it's been a crap gig/rubbish crowd and no-one claps/chants for more. Then the artist/band has to come back on stage to awkward silence. This always happens in Aberdeen. I kind of think the Music Hall (most wonderful venue ever) should be dismantled and re-constructed somewhere where they actually appreciate music.

I have been to Hell and back and let me tell you it was wonderful.

I'm building bonfires of my vanities and doubts to get warm
Just like everybody else
Old 22-02-2011, 11:30
Doors slowly closing

I too find them incredibly fake. Especially when you see bands go off and not do "their song", only to come back and do it in encore. It's just complete bollocks, if you're going to do that you might as well leave the stage suspended by wires and clouded in dry ice.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 22-02-2011, 12:34
Bored of being bored

Morrissey does encores. It's quite annoying cos everyone stands about knowing he'll be back, and you're thinking, "hurry the fuck up, you old git, I'll miss my bus!"

And then when he comes back on, he feigns surprise that anyone loves him at all. *eyeroll* In his case, encores are total pantomime. That whole "Who, me? You're actually here because you like me?" thing... but then again, you come to expect it so it's part of the show. Usually ends on a Smiths song... "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", I think I've seen him do. And of course, if he hasn't already played it during the rest of the set, then you can pretty much guess it'll turn up in the encore. It's quite a beautiful and apt song to end a show with, though.

Brett Anderson's another one for encores, I seem to remember. And again, little surprise there. "Yeah, you all love me, yeah, let's get on with it, here's "Animal Nitrate"." *microphone spanking recommences*
Old 22-02-2011, 12:36
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.M.F View Post
21-05-91 London Marquee
is it the one the band got angry as very few people stayed for the encore?
Old 22-02-2011, 12:58
An imitation of dignity

It's not very "punk", whats why!
Old 22-02-2011, 14:02
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustaride View Post
It's not very "punk", whats why!
Neither are the Manics these days though.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:07
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
Midge Ure summed-up the majority on encores when I saw him last. He said, 'You're all so used to encores nowadays that if I just played this whole setlist and walked off you'd probably all feel short-changed. So what I have to do is play all of them but three, pretend to go offstage and be getting into my car when I'm lured back by applause, and then finish the set..."
So? It's a bit theatrical, but it's fun. I like encores because they're sort of an advance warning system to let you know that the gig's coming to an end soon. If a band just walk off and don't come back on my poor brain can't handle it. Encores help me to prepare for the inevitable.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:56
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
Midge Ure summed-up the majority on encores when I saw him last. He said, 'You're all so used to encores nowadays that if I just played this whole setlist and walked off you'd probably all feel short-changed. So what I have to do is play all of them but three, pretend to go offstage and be getting into my car when I'm lured back by applause, and then finish the set..."
I saw Imogen Heap say "This is the last song", then chuckled and said something about feeling like a professional liar. Midge Ure is the man though!
Old 22-02-2011, 15:28
Doors slowly closing

I saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre about 9/10 years ago and they came back on when the house lights had come up, after a pretty lousy half arsed performance in their main set, to play half a song stop and then berate the crowd at tedious length for not being into them enough.

I couldn't give a shit about encores, they neither annoy nor please me.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:44
Stretched out in the sun

It's also not fun when a show is supposed to start at a certain time and the band in question doesn't show up til midnight or 1 a.m. (cough GNR cough) Uh, people do have jobs, especially if it's on a weeknight. If you didn't park your car at the arena, it's a long wait to get home. Or expensive by taxi.

I don't care for the 'encore'. If it's spontaneous and deserved, great. I've experienced a few of those. The rest, meh. Play the show and if you're good, you can do an encore. That's real. And earned.
Old 22-02-2011, 21:00
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
is it the one the band got angry as very few people stayed for the encore?

Ive only heard a dodgy audio recording but there was a few people in the audience that were yelling all sorts of obsceneties when they returned to play you love us for a second time. Great early gig though!
Old 22-02-2011, 21:07
I live to fall asleep

It would seem wierd if the Manics started doing encores now. I love the fact they don't.
Old 22-02-2011, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
It would seem wierd if the Manics started doing encores now. I love the fact they don't.
Agreed!
Old 25-02-2011, 14:40

I played an "encore" once, we genuinely hadn't planned one (it was more a "one more tune!" thing before we had left the stage) and ended up playing a song that was not ready for public consumption. Disaster! I saw The Cribs about a year ago and they warned the audience that "we don't do encores 'cos they're shit" or similar and finished with City Of Bugs, which was refreshing. The dearly departed Reuben used to say all of their thanks and goodbyes before the final song of the set and then leave without any fuss afterwards.

I like that the Manics don't do it, even if I felt very confused the first time I saw them. If they played fan-favourites maybe, but following A Design For Life at the end would be tough (that said, I'm all for ADFL being placed early in the set as per the PPF tour... just saying...).