Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-04-2018, 22:58
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabby View Post
Just back from the gig. Sleepflower acoustic was two verses and two choruses long
You jammy sods!
Old 25-04-2018, 23:01
Footprint of history

Gig absolutely bombed.Genuinely spent most of it cringing at the lack of atmosphere and general stagnancy.It was just...sad.Nicky begging people to ‘pretend it’s 1992 and we’re in King Tuts’.James doing sleepflower acoustic and trying to get the half full arena crowd to do the chorus alone and there was just...nobody really singing it.The most singularly soul crushing moment of my Manics career.Sums up the gig.When even ADFL doesn’t feel euphoric it’s devastating.
Old 25-04-2018, 23:14
Knowlede Is Power

Sadly I have to agree with the previous post. That was a dull insipid performance. Not helped by 1/4 full massive venue. Why not play a smaller venue, that way you can try and create an atmosphere?? It is pretty embarrasing when James misses lines hoping the crowd will fill in for him. It did not work tonight.

Set list was pretty poor in my opinion. There was no decent banter or interaction from James and Nicky. They were very much going through the motions. Merchandise was extortionate.

I recently read a newspaper interview with the Manics and I couldn't stop thinking that they now vote Conservative. Tonight was a very Tory performance.

my old name
Old 25-04-2018, 23:18
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

That's a shame! The Holy Bible gig in the Barrowlands was bloody immense. Might put it as my number two. Let's hope for a winter club tour!

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 25-04-2018, 23:31
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by set phasers to stun View Post
I recently read a newspaper interview with the Manics and I couldn't stop thinking that they now vote Conservative. Tonight was a very Tory performance.
Erm What?
Old 26-04-2018, 00:20
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by set phasers to stun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
Erm What?
I'll second this and add a...what the fuck?!
It's all very well not enjoying a performance but it's another thing to go saying batshit crazy things like this.
Also - citation needed. What interview?
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 26-04-2018, 00:45
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Finch View Post
Gig absolutely bombed.Genuinely spent most of it cringing at the lack of atmosphere and general stagnancy.It was just...sad.Nicky begging people to ‘pretend it’s 1992 and we’re in King Tuts’.James doing sleepflower acoustic and trying to get the half full arena crowd to do the chorus alone and there was just...nobody really singing it.The most singularly soul crushing moment of my Manics career.Sums up the gig.When even ADFL doesn’t feel euphoric it’s devastating.
Yeah.

The big disappointment I had with the gig was in how little James contributed. I remember seeing the Manics for the first time and, in between frantically jumping around, being absolutely amazed with how this one guy could fill the room almost single-handedly with his lead, rhythm, and incredible voice. His guitar playing was incredible - so complex, detailed, and crisp and full-sounding.

Tonight though, James barely touched his guitar, and either resorted to falsettoing on or skipping the more difficult lines altogether. It was brilliant when he hit that high note at the end of the Motorcycle Emptiness middle-8 in full voice, but that was the only vocal he did all night that was really impressive. In terms of the guitar, it was just sad to see Murray taking over lead duties on songs like No Surface All Feeling, and relegate James to something of a second guitarist in his own band, only to be wheeled out for the occasional backing chord and solo.

And, christ. All the backing tracks. If you can't play it live, maybe just play something else instead, and I'll put the CD on myself when I get home.

And Horses Under Starlight. Fair enough, play an instrumental track. But, if they must play an instrumental track, why not one which showcases how far they've come as musicians, or, at the very least, one which is actually good? That slot in the setlist could've gone to The Vorticists, You Know It's Going To Hurt, Dreaming A City, Manorbier, etc, but instead, they went for the blandest instrumental they've ever done. All it did was kill the (already weak) atmosphere. Blarg.

I appreciate that the Manics are getting older and it's getting harder for them to put on an intense show, but maybe the way around that is to split the performance up into two sections (like they did for the EMG and THB shows), or to use the traditional trick of doing encores. Better that than half-arse it for the whole show.
Old 26-04-2018, 01:07
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Maybe phasers is thinking of the Guardian article with the misleading headline criticising Corbyn? Nicky would never vote Tory but I believe he has an immense distrust of Corbyn and McDonnell.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 26-04-2018, 02:25
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Yeah.

The big disappointment I had with the gig was in how little James contributed. I remember seeing the Manics for the first time and, in between frantically jumping around, being absolutely amazed with how this one guy could fill the room almost single-handedly with his lead, rhythm, and incredible voice. His guitar playing was incredible - so complex, detailed, and crisp and full-sounding.

Tonight though, James barely touched his guitar, and either resorted to falsettoing on or skipping the more difficult lines altogether. It was brilliant when he hit that high note at the end of the Motorcycle Emptiness middle-8 in full voice, but that was the only vocal he did all night that was really impressive. In terms of the guitar, it was just sad to see Murray taking over lead duties on songs like No Surface All Feeling, and relegate James to something of a second guitarist in his own band, only to be wheeled out for the occasional backing chord and solo.

And, christ. All the backing tracks. If you can't play it live, maybe just play something else instead, and I'll put the CD on myself when I get home.

And Horses Under Starlight. Fair enough, play an instrumental track. But, if they must play an instrumental track, why not one which showcases how far they've come as musicians, or, at the very least, one which is actually good? That slot in the setlist could've gone to The Vorticists, You Know It's Going To Hurt, Dreaming A City, Manorbier, etc, but instead, they went for the blandest instrumental they've ever done. All it did was kill the (already weak) atmosphere. Blarg.

I appreciate that the Manics are getting older and it's getting harder for them to put on an intense show, but maybe the way around that is to split the performance up into two sections (like they did for the EMG and THB shows), or to use the traditional trick of doing encores. Better that than half-arse it for the whole show.
Dear lord,the backing tracks for HMLAH and People Give In were cranked up so loud I had to leave my spot to stop my ears bleeding.Clearly cranked up to make them sound like the arena anthems they were written to be but the point is the *audience* should have been singing the ‘woahs’. Horses Under Starlight was a car crash.

Can anyone explain what was going on with Wayne Murray a)being louder than James b)doing unnecessary backing vocals c)in general on Dylan and Caitlin?I thought he was miming to the Anchoress’ voice at first but I actually have no idea.
Old 26-04-2018, 05:51
I am purity, they call me perverted

I was at Newcastle, definitely going to avoid arenas in the future. Even most of the people right near the front had lots of personal space. And not that many people seemed to even recognise all the songs.

Oh, and also I still have tinnitus, bit worried the shite sound system at the arena has done permanent damage :/

I did notice James using a throat spray several times, I wonder if he's not feeling 100% for this tour?
Old 26-04-2018, 06:01
I live to fall asleep

Thanks for the reviews guys. It's quite sad to hear forum stalwarts having these experiences! Glasgow is normally a good place for them as well. Without being critical of the band, it is just an age thing? Or is it bad booking and going for arenas? Bit of a bummer all around.
Old 26-04-2018, 06:22
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post
Oh, and also I still have tinnitus, bit worried the shite sound system at the arena has done permanent damage :/
Earplugs are your friend. I haven’t done a gig without earplugs (apart from once when I forgot them and boy, did I regret that) since the PPF tour in 2005 when I had ringing ears for 3 days after the Leeds gig. I don’t know how so many people don’t wear them tbh; I find it too painful without them now.
Old 26-04-2018, 07:30
Doors slowly closing

My ears are still ringing from the PPF tour.
Old 26-04-2018, 08:02
I live to fall asleep

Shame to read some negative reviews here about the gigs and serious lack of atmsphere, it seems the venues are too big sadly to sell out for our boys now I guess the new songs aren't connecting much at all with the crowds who half of which probably didn't buy the album yet? I've watched some more videos on Youtube and James has handed more guitar duties to Wayne Murray which is pretty baffling.
Old 26-04-2018, 08:06
I live to fall asleep

Roughly how many where there last night? Looked pretty full from photos although I’m aware it wasn’t the full arena set up.