Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-05-2013, 10:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

Very Impressive Manics blog

Stumbled across this one last night;

http://manicsdiscog.wordpress.com/

Very in depth comments and I must admit I've found it a good read. The author is up to TIMTTMY material at the moment and seems to be working through the whole back catalogue.
Old 23-05-2013, 10:55
I live to fall asleep

Thanks I take a look at that, always good to see something new.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:46
Administrator

Seems good, found a mistake already. hehe.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

lol
Manicsfan pedantry ftw...

Incidentally the author has registered and is currently waiting to be let in if anyone who has the keys to the door is reading..
Old 23-05-2013, 13:07
Winterlover

I like the idea of sites that look back and review music from a distance outside the hype bubble. The way in which the web is a race to be first when reviewing music often misses the point on good/terrible music, which means stuff like this is often much more fun to read.
Old 23-05-2013, 13:27
An imitation of dignity

Hey everyone, I'm Andy, author of the site. As I just told responsible by email, I've been lurking on Forever Delayed on and off for a few years, so it's great to see that you guys have been having a look at the site (I've had more views today than I've ever had, so thanks so much).

The idea behind this is that, basically it's my version of a combination between Flint's excellent 'Manic Street Preachers: Track By Track' blog and Ian MacDonald's book on the Beatles, Revolution in the Head. The difference is that my work is a bit more in-depth, detailed and more about the references than Flint's site, and much less in-depth, detailed and musically literate than MacDonald's incredible efforts. I guess the basic idea is that for all the (often fascinating) talk about the Manics as an entity and about Richey's disappearance, their songs have never the analysis or coverage that they deserve. I'm a huge music fan, and I'd struggle to think of even one other band that I feel deserve this treatment (given that the late MacDonald already did the Fabs).

I'm going to be covering every Manics studio recording, and at the moment I'm posting one track per day (today's track coming up soon - 'I'm Not Working'). What would be amazingly cool would be for me to be able to hear what other Manics fans think of these songs as I cover them and of my write-ups. Manics songs hit different people in different ways - this site is just my interpretation, so if something catches your eye please do comment, email me, or post here. You can also subscribe to the blog and get emails each time I post, if you don't get enough spam yet!

Finding mistakes and letting me know is also great, although please be warned that if you notice that I've left a track out of the sequence and the classification numbers are wrong, then I might actually cry!
Old 23-05-2013, 13:32
Knowlede Is Power

Excellent site

darkanddivine - I love your signature. I use to have the give a damn one but have since lost it somewhere
Old 23-05-2013, 13:33
Doors slowly closing

I love Revolution in the Head... been waiting for something like this, looking forward to checking it out!
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 23-05-2013, 13:36
I live to fall asleep

Well done, RookUK! It's always great to see a new Manics fan site. Welcome to FD, too.
Old 23-05-2013, 14:01
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
I love Revolution in the Head... been waiting for something like this, looking forward to checking it out!
Ha, I'm really glad I wasn't the only one!

Thank you all for the kind words, they mean a lot. While I'm here, I've just posted my thoughts on the track T108, 'I'm Not Working'. I've always loved this song and for me, it marks the start of a series of several incredibly good songs on This Is My Truth.
Old 23-05-2013, 14:15
Bored out of my mind

I look forward to reading all of this when I have time!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 23-05-2013, 14:25
Administrator

It's cool. only thing I noticed was the thing about further away being unique as a japan-only single. I believe Nobody Loved You also fits into that?
Old 23-05-2013, 14:31
Knowlede Is Power

Really nice idea, and a lovely website

Completely different to the way you've approached it, but over the last several months I've been listening to the Manics' back catalogue in order myself, one release every few days.

I suppose that towards the tail-end of the Postcards period, I'd begun to feel a little worn out. I've been a fan for eighteen years - literally more than half my life - and the SATT to National Treasures period felt oddly busy and intense (though really, they weren't any more or less hectic with releases or tours than at any other point in their career), and by the end I was just wiped out. Which worried me a bit, because they mean so much to me and have been such a significant part of my life for so long.

So after the O2 gig, when they took a break, I did too. I went several months without listening to a single note of their music (where usually I'd listen to them every day), and then in early September or October of last year I began listening to one release every few days, in order, from the start. I'm currently at Nicky's solo album...should be up to date by Festival No 6!

It worked too. I do feel like I've rediscovered them, and rediscovered my love for them.

I think it's quite rewarding to experience things in context. I've done it before with TV shows or authors that I like, and it's a worthwhile experience. It does affect your response, particularly having taken a break and not having heard these songs in a while, and it's even altered my opinion on quite a few tracks. I suddenly really like 'La Tristesse Durera' for the first time in... well, ever. I can now listen to 'A Design For Life' again, where I'd heard it so many times that it had gotten to the point where the only time I could bear it was when they played it live.

It's also quite nice just to occasionally re-experience your initial reaction at the time. For instance I'd forgotten how utterly bizarre 'The Love of Richard Nixon' felt the first time I heard it, and hearing it again a few weeks ago I felt exactly the same sensations as when Jo Whiley first played it back in 2004.

There have been a few casualties. I seem to have lost all affection for 'Know Your Enemy', even the bits I used to cherish. But that in itself is quite an interesting development (to me anyway).

Anyway, I'll shut up now. But yes, I applaud your effort, and for doing it in more depth and with more intelligence than me, and for actually making the effort to write about it. I look forward to reading the rest of the site.
Old 23-05-2013, 14:40
Footprint of history

You recognise the beauty and brilliance of 'The Everlasting'. On that basis this blog must be good.
Old 23-05-2013, 14:58
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
It's cool. only thing I noticed was the thing about further away being unique as a japan-only single. I believe Nobody Loved You also fits into that?
Thanks, Takk - I'd actually never heard that, but I've just checked and apparently it was released in place of 'The Everlasting' in Japan (in the same way that 'Further Away' was released in place of 'Kevin Carter'). I'll update the post.