Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-11-2011, 11:59
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
i am sorry to break your heart, but they didn't decide for one night to be the dream band you always hoped for - the gig actually opened with - for a change - Motorcycle Emptiness, they just didn't broadcast it and thus whoever has decided to cheekily release this on DVD hasn't included it.
Obviously whoever made it wanted to get Autumnsong out of the way first. Fair play to them Not including ME is weird though.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:37
Freed from the century

Looking at the tracklisting for this makes me wonder why the band don't end european tour dates with "a design for life", and end with "tolerate" instead.
Old 12-11-2011, 13:12
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallafield View Post
Looking at the tracklisting for this makes me wonder why the band don't end european tour dates with "a design for life", and end with "tolerate" instead.
Because ADFL is a huge classic song in the UK but much, much less so in the rest of Europe - I can't remember ever hearing it before I bought EMG. Tolerate on the other hand is the big hit song that made them massive names all over Europe in the late 90s, responsible for countless Manics fans (yours truly included) and generally being the iconic signature song people know them for. Thus, it's a far more appropriate epic set closer in the other European regions than ADFL would be.

Last edited by Flint; 12-11-2011 at 13:16.
Old 12-11-2011, 13:38
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Because ADFL is a huge classic song in the UK but much, much less so in the rest of Europe - I can't remember ever hearing it before I bought EMG. Tolerate on the other hand is the big hit song that made them massive names all over Europe in the late 90s, responsible for countless Manics fans (yours truly included) and generally being the iconic signature song people know them for. Thus, it's a far more appropriate epic set closer in the other European regions than ADFL would be.
This; not European but I just can't get into ADFL. 'Anthem of working class' requires some cultural familiarity before you get its emotional resonance, I guess.
Old 12-11-2011, 15:53
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
Obviously whoever made it wanted to get Autumnsong out of the way first. Fair play to them Not including ME is weird though.
going on the fan artwork, it wasn't recorded / broadcast. if i recall the start of the Portugese one correctly, you only really get about 66% of ME, the first third being dominated by two 70s rejects with a fondness for pies that puts James' interest in them into perspective.
blog
Old 12-11-2011, 18:37
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Autumnsong for an opener! Woohoo!
I'm with Gutless Wonder on this one. In my Manics top 10!
Old 12-11-2011, 19:21
Freed from the century

Oh great! I was at that gig and it will be nice to re-live it again, even if the setlist is not spectacular. I hope the smoke doesn't show too much though, it kinda ruined the gig for me (sometimes we couldn't see the band for entire songs).
Old 13-11-2011, 21:58
Born to end

Ooooh, will have to check this out. I was at the Bilbao gig :-)