Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-11-2021, 21:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Broken Up Again (In Pieces)
https://youtu.be/fwvfJ-B9Ih0
Superb, i really enjoy this. Slowing it down like that gives it a vibe that works very well as an instrumental. Given the tempo change i suppose a vocal track would sound a bit awkward?

I have to confess to not really understanding this no instrumentals rule when a track like this would add something a bit different and special.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 02-11-2021, 21:31
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I didn't hate this! Really interesting bass and guitar and fair dues for taking on what is probably one of the most ambitious vocal tracks the manics put to record. Is that a Fuzz Factory I hear in the soulmates section?
Thanks man! Really appreciate you listening to it! The vocals were not easy at all, but fortunatly my voice is naturally quite high so that helped a little. And well spotted!! That was indeed a fuzz factory!!
Old 02-11-2021, 23:15
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Superb, i really enjoy this.
Thanks Tim.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 03-11-2021, 02:58
Bored of being bored

Quote:

It’s a lovely cover
Old 03-11-2021, 10:01
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagainstyou View Post
It’s a lovely cover
Thanks usagainstyou.

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 03-11-2021, 10:19
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Thanks man! Really appreciate you listening to it! The vocals were not easy at all, but fortunatly my voice is naturally quite high so that helped a little. And well spotted!! That was indeed a fuzz factory!!
Already sold out but if you had £12,000 to spare...: (I'm never going to complain Manics merchandise costs again!)

https://www.musicradar.com/news/mans...hin-first-hour

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 03-11-2021 at 10:23.
Old 03-11-2021, 21:08
An imitation of dignity

Wouldn’t usually post this kind of thing but I’m unexpectedly a bottle of wine in already so f*** it. This isn’t of course the ‘main’ version I’m working on - this be an 8:15am acoustic rehearsal of the vocals (different key, different voicing etc)‘from this morning. Recorded straight into Voice Memos on my phone, I manage to knock something or other over during one of the choruses, but it’s quite a nice thing and in terms of fidelity, reminded me of that ‘92 acoustic version of Little Baby Nothing that James recorded (Steve Wright show?) which ended up on some bootlegs back whenever.

Anyway, pre-work acoustic bash-through of The Soulmates: https://eur03.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0
1997: Aston Villa Leisure Centre, Brighton Centre, Reading Rivermead, Royal Albert Hall, Reading Festival.
1998: Hereford Leisure Centre, Exeter Arena, Wembley Arena, Cardiff Arena.
1999: V Festival
2002: Brixton Academy
2009: London Forum
2014: London Roundhouse x 3
2021: Portsmouth Guildhall

Last edited by mrdi; 03-11-2021 at 21:15.
Old 03-11-2021, 23:35
Doors slowly closing

That’s beautiful, mrdi.

The thing being knocked over just added to the feel of it!

Old 03-11-2021, 23:43
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdi View Post
Wouldn’t usually post this kind of thing but I’m unexpectedly a bottle of wine in already so f*** it. This isn’t of course the ‘main’ version I’m working on - this be an 8:15am acoustic rehearsal of the vocals (different key, different voicing etc)‘from this morning. Recorded straight into Voice Memos on my phone, I manage to knock something or other over during one of the choruses, but it’s quite a nice thing and in terms of fidelity, reminded me of that ‘92 acoustic version of Little Baby Nothing that James recorded (Steve Wright show?) which ended up on some bootlegs back whenever.

Anyway, pre-work acoustic bash-through of The Soulmates: https://eur03.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0
Rrally enjoyed that! Beautiful version.
Old 23-11-2021, 13:36
I am purity, they call me perverted

Not sure if this project is still on, but I'd be happy to contribute. Many, many years ago there was a Holy Bible cover thread which I contributed to. Can't find it anymore, probably too old. Anyway I can record everything except drums, but I can program them. I don't have James' vocal range, but I'm sure I can find a way around that. Anyway, let me know what's happening. I might try record something within the next few weeks.
Old 26-11-2021, 22:08
Knowlede Is Power

Last seen spamming the forum for a month and then throwing their toys out of their pretentious minges.
Old 26-11-2021, 23:49
Knowlede Is Power

No idea whats happening. Seemed like a good idea, then somthing seemed to go down about not doing instrumentals and that was that. Shame.
Old 26-11-2021, 23:54
Knowlede Is Power

Last edited by Lee; 27-11-2021 at 14:59. Reason: CBA
Old 27-11-2021, 01:42
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

No need for abuse. My gut feeling tells me that the project was crashing anyway as only about five people were working on contributions, and this kurfuffle about the instrumentals was just a way of ending it (while holding others responsible) without admitting the idea didn't have as much legs as hoped. It does irritate me that an instrumental artist was specifically asked to contribute, wasn't told about the no instrumental rule, and then told their contribution wasn't acceptable after obviously spending a good bit of time and effort on the finished piece. It's pretty much the definition of gaslighting and a really shitty thing to do to a fellow musician.

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 27-11-2021 at 01:46.
Old 27-11-2021, 01:57
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
I agree. It would be a shame. Hopefully tzb and Mr Richey will see through the (version they want of) the project they started, I genuinely wish them, and everyone else involved, all the best with it.

Anyway, here's my interpretation of a Manics song I intended for this project, if anyone is interested. Hope some of you like it, even if it is 'only' an instrumental(!!)

I'm late in writing this, I know, but I absolutely love this. It just encapsulates everything I wanted to hear from this project - it's a piece of work that can only come from passion for music and for the Manics, and which follows and draws from the Manics, but which creates something new from something relatively old and obscure. I'm not actually a fan of the original song, but it does have some really good elements, so I really like that this takes those key elements and themes, strips away the stuff which isn't so good, and recreates it as a composition which easily stands up alongside the likes of The Vorticists and You Know It's Going To Hurt.

To touch on the whole instrumentals point, I do think this composition loses something by stripping out some of Nicky's lyrics. It's difficult though, isn't it? The lyrics are a property of the vocal, and there's not really space in this composition to accomodate a vocal. Even if the bulldozers were brought in to clear a path for a vocal, would it enhance it? The template isn't actually great - this is another of those Manics songs where JDB sings most the lines like he's forcing words in to a melody that they don't naturally fit, with an energy that's equally misplaced. Overall, despite the loss of some beautiful lines, I think the piece is made stronger for its eschewing of that vocal, and I'm okay with that - I love cheese, but not so much that I need a slice of cheddar on every meal. This is perfect exactly as it is.