Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-10-2010, 16:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Inconspicuous View Post
None-too-impressed review in yesterday's Guardian

The other Manics are very lightly sketched...Sean Moore is simply inscrutable: Edwards has "no idea what he actually thinks about anything", and neither do we.

Love the accompanying picture though:
I have to agree with the bulk of this review. I've only read a few chapters (in all honesty I don't think I could have read anymore) but the writing style is appalling. Every metaphor and description is so cliched and contrived its impossible to believe that it can bear any resemblance to anyone's inner monologue or thoughts which leaves the whole thing utterly unconvincing for me. Even if you put aside the fact that the book is of questionable taste, its still just very badly written.
Old 25-10-2010, 18:21
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post

I've recommended it as a stock suggestion for Birmingham libraries, should save anyone in the Midlands forking out for it.
I spotted a copy of it today in my local library in Worcestershire so I have borrowed it even though I am not sure I want to read it all the way through
Old 25-10-2010, 20:02
Builder of routine

small 3 star review in December's Mojo. Its just a description of what the book's about really but at the top it says "A work of fiction that bears a convincing ring of truth "
Old 28-10-2010, 01:26

that Guardian review confirms basically every negative suspicion I had regarding this book. I'm not even sure if I want to flick through it, but I feel I shouldn't just a book on its cover. and its blurb. and a good few unimpressed reviews. and the extract the NME printed. and... actually, I'm okay with judging it :/
Old 30-10-2010, 10:03
Freed from the century

If anyone wants any more insights from the horse's mouth my Q&A with Ben is in this week's Big Issue in the North (changes Monday).
Old 02-11-2010, 15:30
Freed from the century

Independent review: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-2121716.html
Old 24-11-2010, 14:23
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
quarter of the way through and finding it strangely compelling as a non-Richey fan...odd.

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 24-11-2010, 14:58
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz Delirium View Post
quarter of the way through and finding it strangely compelling as a non-Richey fan...odd.
I found that, I'm more a Richey fan than you but not a massive one and I found it didn't matter that it was Richey, it was a great read regardless, glad you like it.
Old 24-11-2010, 16:38
Born to end

For any Australians, the official release date here is 1st of January 2011, pushed back a month for some reason as it was supposed to be released in December.

(Parallel importation laws are a bit ... non-consumer friendly here in Australia at the moment, it was voted against earlier in the year meaning that Australian publishers release their own versions of international books usually at a later date, rather than importing them. Uh, in case any one cares...)

I've had a copy floating about for a few weeks now (bought online, so take that Australian publishing industry!), but can't bring myself to read it yet. Maybe over the holidays.
Old 25-11-2010, 11:33

I thought this was woeful.

And how many errors, most of which are blatantly obvious, was it possible to print in one book? I'm assuming they hired a monkey as the proofreader.
Old 25-11-2010, 14:00
Born to end

i just finished the book this morning. i've had it for about a month but my uni course and work have got in the way big time.

as a manics/richey fan I found myself recoiling several times in the book at some basic errors, as much as I realise Ben states this is a work of "fiction". I even found myself going mad over the fact that he refers to the severn bridge as going over the "M48".. when the M48 was only opened in mid-1996.

also, lots of little errors like "South Wales", which I've always thought should be written as "south Wales".

a lot of people have stated it may have been rush-released, but i've also heard stories that this book was finished in jan/feb time, giving ages for good proofreading etc.

{POTENTIAL SPOILER}
the end is slightly pathetic.
Old 25-11-2010, 14:04
Born to end

also, the bit where "richey" refers to In Utero as "Nirvana's new album" despite the fact at that point it had been out for 18 months. I'm pretty sure any reasonable person would refer to an 18 month old record as their "last" or "latest" or even "newest".

Maybe I'm pedantic?
Old 29-11-2010, 17:31
Freed from the century

Don't suppose Ben will have much luck on here, but from his Twitter:

You can vote for 'Richard' in Bookmunch Books of 2010 poll: http://www.bookmunch.wordpress.com/2...k-of-the-year/
Old 29-11-2010, 18:11
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickefoo View Post
Maybe I'm pedantic?
It does bug me a bit. It shows a lack of care for the subject, although I'm probably as guilty as anyone of not proofreading properly.

FYI for Midlands people.... Birmingham libraries are definitely ordering some copies in, so no need to buy
Old 29-11-2010, 22:08
I live to fall asleep

I'm collecting questions from fans who have read the book and want to ask Ben anything related to it. The first fan interview (pre-publication) is here, if you need reminding / haven't seen it: http://cultofrichey.com/2010/08/15/m...-myers-part-i/

Please message me here with your questions, along with a name you want to be publicly credited as when the interview is posted (either first name and last initial or a username).

The deadline for questions is Dec. 11.