Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-02-2013, 21:08
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Potter View Post
Here's what I think is a complete set of UK 'Hit Factory' promo cassettes with factory printed inserts.

Wow, an amazing collection! *bows down*
Old 26-02-2013, 22:58
Bored of being bored

look what i got for $20

Old 27-02-2013, 00:09
A self-made vacuum

Well played mate, how'd you manage that?
Old 27-02-2013, 12:12
Bored of being bored

got it off discogs
but now i want the other two...just how many of these were made again?
Old 27-02-2013, 15:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Only 12 sets ;-) http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=149368
Judging from how often they surface, between 100 and 200 seems realistic.
Old 27-02-2013, 19:53
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDelayed.com View Post
got it off discogs
but now i want the other two...just how many of these were made again?
Well done. I am looking for the You Stole The Sun one to complete my set but it's very hard to find.
Old 27-02-2013, 22:37
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Potter View Post
Only 12 sets ;-) http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=149368
Judging from how often they surface, between 100 and 200 seems realistic.

yeah, i doubt it's only 12, though I have only seen them once on sale on ebay (all 3) and another time i saw one of the singles, but I dont remember which
Old 27-02-2013, 22:38
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic pilgrim View Post
Well done. I am looking for the You Stole The Sun one to complete my set but it's very hard to find.
thanks good feeling when it's a bargain.
i wonder where you may find it.
if You Stole The Sun ever comes up i will point you at the right direction, you deserve it
Old 27-02-2013, 23:12

Quote:
yeah, i doubt it's only 12, though I have only seen them once on sale on ebay (all 3) and another time i saw one of the singles, but I dont remember which
It's a few years ago (around Lifeblood) when I saw them on ebay more often, at least 5 or 6 times. They usually sold for around $ 100. Eil.com had the set at least 3 times too (275 pounds iirc). I thought it must be in the league of Suicide Alley with picture sleeve (200 copies). Probably half of the Suidide Alleys were thrown away very early, but nobody in the world would throw away one of the beautiful clam sets. Considering that fact it would mean around 100 copies. On the other hand Suicide Alley is a well-known collectors item (was in the top 100 most expensive records) not only for Manics fans, so will be traded more often. Considering all this it must be 151.67 clam sets ;-)
Old 28-02-2013, 21:18
Freed from the century

Quote:
thanks good feeling when it's a bargain.
i wonder where you may find it.
if You Stole The Sun ever comes up i will point you at the right direction, you deserve it
Thank you! I'll do the same with you. I think Lancashire Potter is right, there must be much more than 12 sets. I bought mine from a guy in Canada who had two incomplete sets, so either he was very lucky or the sets are not that rare.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Thank you! I'll do the same with you. I think Lancashire Potter is right, there must be much more than 12 sets. I bought mine from a guy in Canada who had two incomplete sets, so either he was very lucky or the sets are not that rare.
I think I may have got the other incomplete set... I'm sure there was another fella on here who had the first two but no You Stole The Sun, what a bitch that is.

Oh yeah, this fella http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...&postcount=735

There can't be just the 12 sets...? I dunno, very strange that if there are only 12 sets at least a quarter of em are missing one.

Last edited by sculptureofabloke; 01-03-2013 at 08:21.
Old 01-03-2013, 19:57
Freed from the century

I think we should take a census: who owns a complete/incomplete set? And who stole You Stole??

Today I got the Underdogs/YLAINE cd. Perfect, new, beautiful. This is what I needed to cheer me up at the end of a very hard week.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
I think we should take a census: who owns a complete/incomplete set? And who stole You Stole??

Today I got the Underdogs/YLAINE cd. Perfect, new, beautiful. This is what I needed to cheer me up at the end of a very hard week.
Definitely! I think about 5 copies of Tolerate are accounted for just on this thread. Hmm...

The Australia Lionrock white label is a weird one too. There's supposed to be 20 of those.. There are 6 of them on sale on discogs right now and one on eBay. According to discogs 4 people have it.. Well, it says 5 but one of em is for sale... 11 accounted for.. I'm sure ForeverDelayed.com has it too, don't know if he's on discogs though. I dunno, it's just weird. If there are only 20 of them, I'm suprised that over a quarter of them are on sale now. Ah, I'm confusing myself, is there any wonder I'm not a statistician?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11

Of the 3 Canadian clam shell promo's I'm also missing just You Stole... This is either a weird coincidence or more likely they didn't press the same number of each CD?

As regards Lionrock I also think it comes up for sale way too often for only 20 copies but....the Record Collector Rare Record Guide states there's only 20 & they are supposed to verify these things before printing.

However. the press release for it says that only 20 DJ's are being mailed with a copy. This only 'proves' that 20 DJ's had a copy - it doesn't specify that only 20 were ever pressed.
Leicester Jan 94, Leicester Oct 94, Rock City Oct 94, Leicester Jun 96, Leicester Oct 96, NEC Dec 02, Notts Dec 04, Derby Apl 05, JDB Notts Oct 06, Rock City May 07, Leciester Jun 07, NIA Dec 07, Wolves Jun 09, Leicester Oct 10, O2 London Dec 11, Dublin Sep 13 Leicester Mar 14 London Dec 14, London May 16, Q Awards London Oct 17
Old 02-03-2013, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chien andalusia View Post
Of the 3 Canadian clam shell promo's I'm also missing just You Stole... This is either a weird coincidence or more likely they didn't press the same number of each CD?

As regards Lionrock I also think it comes up for sale way too often for only 20 copies but....the Record Collector Rare Record Guide states there's only 20 & they are supposed to verify these things before printing.

However. the press release for it says that only 20 DJ's are being mailed with a copy. This only 'proves' that 20 DJ's had a copy - it doesn't specify that only 20 were ever pressed.
I don't think less were pressed, but there could be a reason for less copies being on the market: Stole was the third single, Sony Canada mailed out the sets around the time of Stole: The similar looking Canadian promo for Stole (DPRO-1916) which doesn't belong to the set has a higher number than the clam version (DPRO-1869), so the clam version was the first the Canadian radio stations received. Probably more of them went into archives (and are still there) than of the other 2 singles that were already old and of which they already had promos or didn't want any at all.