Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-01-2011, 23:02
Desire on its knees

There is a lot of brilliant music out there, but you have to actually make the effort to find it. You can't really find it listening to the radio - most of the bands I've got into recently I've got into through last.fm or on the recommendation of Tumblr people or through friends who listen to "alternative" music (by that I mean stuff that's not really in the charts/played on mainstream radio stations), or even through my parents.

The problem is that if it isn't easily accessible, some people can't be bothered to look for it, as I think others have already said in this thread. I see it in a lot of people my own age - they just take what's played on the radio as what must be good. One of my friends often says I have "weird" taste in music because I listen to bands she's never heard of, and if she hasn't heard of them, she dismisses them as rubbish immediately. All this throwaway R&B crap (which it is, how long does it take for one of those songs to be forgotten about?) is there for them, and they can't see that there's better music out there that doesn't get anywhere near the kind of airplay that all the chart stuff gets. Granted, it's what's in the charts, but high chart position doesn't equal good song.
01/06/15 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
Old 10-01-2011, 00:17
Doors slowly closing

He should have a think about what the "problem" is. It's not the bands - there are plenty of brilliant artists out there - it's the industry itself, promoting mediocrity and looking for a quick sale. The young Manics would struggle to get a record contract now.
Old 10-01-2011, 00:50
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTintedSpecs View Post
most of the bands I've got into recently I've got into through last.fm
I've got people listening to my albums on last.fm every single day. That genuinely gives me hope that, even without a record contract, you can reach people.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:21
I am purity, they call me perverted

Read high scoring reviews on Pitchfork, listen exclusively to them, blow head off with shotgun.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
There is a lot of brilliant music out there,
Namez please.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:37
Knowlede Is Power

I'm going to agree with whoever said it's more fun when Nicky rips bands, because he really lays the snark on LOL. And I love it, I love when rock stars get catty, but that's besides the point.

All that said, I agree with him and I don't agree with him. There's lots of music today that leaves something to be desired; then again, no matter what year, you'll always have good and bad. It seems more prevalent NOW, but that's probably because I'm actually living it instead of discovering music that was before my time heh.

Look at the charts and what's being played on MTV (ok, so MTV doesn't really play music anymore, but you know what I mean). This is what's commercially popular. Whoever said that if the Manics tried breaking into the music business now, they'd have a really hard time at it. Even Nicky acknowledged this!

There are some good acts out there now. But like others have said, you're most likely gonna have to dig for them. They aren't the ones getting radio airplay. It's a miracle if I hear anything I like played on the radio, even the alternative stations. I'm actually really grateful for the internet, because I've come across some of my favorite bands this way. For one thing, I'm in the States. If I hadn't been reading British music magazines, or browsing on tumblr, I never would have heard of the Manics!

(Speaking of, I'm new. I see some familiar names here from tumblr, so hi guys!)
Old 10-01-2011, 08:18
Desire on its knees

The Drums' album was the best of 2010.
31-5-96 Newport 21-10-96 Exeter 12-12-96 Cardiff 9-4-97 Plymouth 24-5-97 Mcr 23-8-97 Reading 20-9-98 Port Talbot 19-12-98 Exeter 21-12-98 Cardiff 27-3-99 Brussels 28-3-99 Paris 26-6-99 Glasto 22-8-99 V99 31-12-99 Cardiff 8-3-01 Cardiff 27-03-01 Mcr 28-3-01 Mcr 23-8-01 Cardiff 25-8-01 Reading 12-9-01 Ldn 18-8-02 V2002 6-12-02 Mcr 29-6-03 Glasto 11-7-03 Mcr 17-12-04 Mcr 9-4-05 Liverpool 7-10-06 Sheffield 17-5-07 Sheffield 8-12-07 Birmingham 21-8-08 Newport 28-5-09 Ldn 12-10-10 Derby 16-10-10 Lincoln 31-10-10 Leicester 1-11-10 Cambridge 22-1-11 Ldn 19-5-11 Wolves 17-12-11 Ldn 27-9-13 Mcr 31-3-14 Leicester 6-4-14 Wolves 8-7-14 Ldn 11-12-14 Mcr 16-12-14 Ldn 17-12-14 Ldn 30-5-15 Edinburgh 29-5-16 Swansea 18-10-17 Ldn 4-5-18 Ldn 19-6-18 Ldn 31-5-19 Leicester 3-12-21 Ldn
Old 10-01-2011, 09:15
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy Cat View Post
The best paperweight and coaster yes.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 10-01-2011, 09:19
Winterlover

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
The best paperweight and coaster yes.
Hah! Both of these comments - for different reasons - made me laugh so hard!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:30
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Seriously?
Ah this was a joke wasn't it?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:09
Bored of being bored

I agree with James not because the last ten years didn't have great bands or great music but because the 90s MTV and music radio actually played great bands of that era where as during the 00s radio and MTV became awful ...now its beyond horrible, and now most hardcore music fans end up finding new bands from visiting an indie blog so its souly isolated to the internet where as in the 90s great raw bands were being played on radio and being interviewed on music television and bands like rem, chilli peppers, garbage, nirvana, pearl jam, blur, oasis, even the grundge and britpop based bands like alice in chains, janes addiction, supergrass and radiohead were quite well known ...i especially recall as a kid in 1995 watching cable tv and the music channel was brilliant, you'd see weezer, dinosaur jr, rem, early no doubt, garbage, blur, oasis, janes addiction, and generally the mainstream although not perfect in the 90s even cheesy artists were writing great songs, i mean even early offspring and green day were a welcome addition because it felt raw and real ...then there was collective soul and sixpense none the richer, the cardigans to name just a few of a huge amount of artists contributing.

now days bands like the shins, queens of the stone age, british sea power, the darkness, arcade fire, the black keys, the libertines, doves, the strokes, mars volta, flaming lips, wilco etc. etc these bands get zero airplay in the mainstream and there are no great inide alternative tv music shows nor are they played on radio or featured at all outside of the internet, as much as i like the internet it takes the personality away from the music culture and community feeling that an all-round media attention can have ...

there is a reason why bands like blur, oasis, the verve, nirvana, rem etc were household names in the 90s paving the way for many other great bands to be featured, its because they had plenty of mainstream attention, and while i am not a fan of overplaying bands i think respecting that these bands existed is why we found out about them. i mean the internet didnt exist until 1996.

i also agree that there is alot of disposable rubbish indie pop out there has little substance, the artists may look hipster and the videos are very artistic but good luck remembering the songs afterwards.

personally i dont want to have to dig and dig to find a band resembling something great, sometimes i want to just hear a great new song on the train or on tv like how it used to be. then the next day i can ask a friend did "you see that new music video" of this band, how cool was that?

as lame as this sounds and i do respect bands like animal collective grizzly bear but i just want to a movement to come along where bands play guitars and sing verse chorus again, i really do miss that, i mean bands like the manics, the pumpkins, blur etc but a new band for once, yeh we have the shins, the national, arcade fire etc ....but i want a new dinosaur jr and a new teenage fanclub or rem, pearl jam ...

Last edited by bigboots; 10-01-2011 at 10:18.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:24
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I think he's got a point. I think a lot of newer indie and rock bands are too style orientated. Yeah, Manics have been guilty of that before today but they've made some fucking brilliant music.

I get the impression with a lot of newer bands that they've decided what they want to look like before they've decided what they want to sound like. I don't think the Manics of 91 would stand a cat in hell's chance today. I think it probably means more to James to be in a band than say, The Drums or The Horrors. Coming out of Blackwood in the 80s is a far cry from coming out of New York or London now. Cos of the time and place, these kids have far more opportunity than James did. They're from better backgrounds with better educations, growing up in a more prosperous time. If Manics fucked up, god knows what James would've ended up doing. I suppose everyone's too comfortable and not angry enough now.
I live in australia and there are so many young bands now that dress very hipster, they have tight jeans and grow the beard and look rediculous, not because tight jeans are rediculous but its the way they look and you have the lead singer barely playing the lead guitar and singing and you can just tell they are probably about the scene rather then giving a crap about making something exciting and raw...

whatever happened to bands playing their guitars well and creating something interesting...

i am by no means a great guitar player but even i can get up and improvise some cool noises and improvised soloing that would make these bands question their integrity & i actually read music and i always kiss my guitar before playing because its not about the style ...its about the notes and the feeling.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:42
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTMA View Post
Read high scoring reviews on Pitchfork, listen exclusively to them, blow head off with shotgun.
Don't say their name or they'll come here and award decimalised reviews and general pretentiousness to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0drnmoonlight View Post
I'm going to agree with whoever said it's more fun when Nicky rips bands, because he really lays the snark on LOL. And I love it, I love when rock stars get catty, but that's besides the point.
That would be me, and it's one of the best things about the Manics, Nicky saying outrageous things. For instance, I think he's totally wrong about Arcade Fire, but I'm glad he said it because it was entertaining.

If James complains that modern music is boring then I will complain that his complaining is boring and we need some good complainers. Reading about Brother and The Vaccines (in NME, so sue me, I like it even if I don't slavishly believe all it says) even their attempts to slag off other bands were tedious retreads of old complaints. One of The Vaccines said "I used to have a nightmare that there'd be no guitars in the charts" - boo fucking hoo, no guitars. If you can't bring yourself to slag people off in an entertaining manner, shut up and concentrate on your songs (which to be fair, The Vaccines have a couple of half decent ones). Brother's rants just seemed to faxed from Oasis parody central - not even similar to the real thing as many of Oasis's beefs were entertainingly worded.

Complaints were better in my day.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
Seriously?
Ah this was a joke wasn't it?
No, The Drums' album is truly ace. Amazing live band too. I'm a bit gay for Johnny (the singer). And possibly the drummer.

I couldn't care less what members of MSP think.
31-5-96 Newport 21-10-96 Exeter 12-12-96 Cardiff 9-4-97 Plymouth 24-5-97 Mcr 23-8-97 Reading 20-9-98 Port Talbot 19-12-98 Exeter 21-12-98 Cardiff 27-3-99 Brussels 28-3-99 Paris 26-6-99 Glasto 22-8-99 V99 31-12-99 Cardiff 8-3-01 Cardiff 27-03-01 Mcr 28-3-01 Mcr 23-8-01 Cardiff 25-8-01 Reading 12-9-01 Ldn 18-8-02 V2002 6-12-02 Mcr 29-6-03 Glasto 11-7-03 Mcr 17-12-04 Mcr 9-4-05 Liverpool 7-10-06 Sheffield 17-5-07 Sheffield 8-12-07 Birmingham 21-8-08 Newport 28-5-09 Ldn 12-10-10 Derby 16-10-10 Lincoln 31-10-10 Leicester 1-11-10 Cambridge 22-1-11 Ldn 19-5-11 Wolves 17-12-11 Ldn 27-9-13 Mcr 31-3-14 Leicester 6-4-14 Wolves 8-7-14 Ldn 11-12-14 Mcr 16-12-14 Ldn 17-12-14 Ldn 30-5-15 Edinburgh 29-5-16 Swansea 18-10-17 Ldn 4-5-18 Ldn 19-6-18 Ldn 31-5-19 Leicester 3-12-21 Ldn
Old 10-01-2011, 10:55
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
There is a lot of brilliant music out there, but you have to actually make the effort to find it......

The problem is that if it isn't easily accessible, some people can't be bothered to look for it......
that's the trick, and i suspect what Mr Bradfield was mumbling about. once upon a time the quality rose through, now anything new and exciting seems to get surpressed with the world being force-fed Idols winning disposable trash, sampled soulless nonsense and the like.

not sure about UK radio, but at a glance for TV listings, music outlets are pretty dire. gone are things like The Tube and Channel 4's innovative Famous For 15 Minutes slots, as well as similar (which names escape me) shows on the BBC. it's all very well and good for Jools Holland to now be hosting a (rightly) celebrated show where he fawns over legends and what have you, but it does little to give a showcase to new musical acts.

it strikes me that the industry at large is reluctant to risk promoting any new talent as such, and the media outlets are happy to oblige with this, perhaps knowing in this multi-channeled world ratings are everything and "the majority" of viewers/listeners prefer to be spoonfed.

that said, surely the band has some say on support acts for their tours? if so, would James & co not hear some tapes or discs of the bands proposed to tour with them?
blog