Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-01-2011, 17:37
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Steve Preacher View Post
The top 40 rant is very true. I think I just died a little as I went downstairs where the missus has radio 1, and firstly heard Pro Green do a track called Jungle, followed by NDubs, where the lead singer is taking the full responsibility for every blokes' girlfriend not coming home - he has them all apparently. I know I'm biased as this stuff isn't my thing, but I do wonder who buys this stuff, and whether it makes them 10% less intelligent like it does to me when I hear it!
Bottom line is, if you don't hit Radio 1's A, B or C list, you may as well resign yourself to top 30 if your lucky. You can do the regional radio round, but it doesn't cut the deficit of not getting R1 exposure like it used to. At the moment, a lot of people on the playlist board seem to think R n B and white english rap, no matter how ludacris it is, is the in thing. That's my big problem with it, I woudn't mind if was decent stuff getting aired. What happened to melody??
Completely agree with this.
Old 09-01-2011, 17:38
Builder of routine

but look who creates the tastes of the teenagers - the mags like NME! they focus on those one hit wonders, as fast as they 'discover' those shitty band, they even faster forget about them. so whose fault is that? so called music journalists who actually write on the same level as those from Daily Mail.
Old 09-01-2011, 17:42
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
Agreed, but that's only the tiny tip of a very massive ice berg that Radio 1 and the mainstream music outlets let you see.
Saying "it's as if Manchester, Seattle and Britpop never existed," just shows how out of touch he is with the wealth of great bands that are out there.
Can't speak for Seattle or Britpop (where is that?) but if he just came to Manchester I can find him half a dozen decent bands with no difficulty whatsoever.

I liked the Manics' rants about other bands more when they were hilarious and provocative, not just "Eeee, it were better in t'old days".
Old 09-01-2011, 17:43
Bored out of my mind

I prefer James' rants to Nicky's.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 09-01-2011, 17:44
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
but look who creates the tastes of the teenagers - the mags like NME! they focus on those one hit wonders, as fast as they 'discover' those shitty band, they even faster forget about them. so whose fault is that? so called music journalists who actually write on the same level as those from Daily Mail.
I read NME and it doesn't influence me, to be honest I think the radio has a much larger influence. The people who write letters to NME always seem to be in their 20's....I hate the people that write for the NME though. They have a good balance of unknown and big bands but they are so two-faced it does my head in.
Old 09-01-2011, 17:46
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think he's right. I can't for the life of me find a new band to get into... it's all so blah. Or maybe it's just me getting old, I don't know.

Facebook / Last.fm / Twitter / Tumblr
Old 09-01-2011, 17:46
Bored out of my mind

I only read the NME because of the Manics!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 09-01-2011, 17:48
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmacy View Post
I think he's right. I can't for the life of me find a new band to get into... it's all so blah. Or maybe it's just me getting old, I don't know.
There's very few new bands that I'm into. British Sea Power won me over straight away and love Band Of Horses but there's not much else that's got me really excited to be honest. I'm sure they are out there somewhere though!
Old 09-01-2011, 17:48
Builder of routine

All the teenagers and twenty-somethings will be saying exactly the same as James in 20 yrs..* it's not as good as it was in my day*
Old 09-01-2011, 17:49
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot_star View Post
I read NME and it doesn't influence me, to be honest I think the radio has a much larger influence. The people who write letters to NME always seem to be in their 20's....I hate the people that write for the NME though. They have a good balance of unknown and big bands but they are so two-faced it does my head in.
so add Zane and some others. do they focus on the message of the new bands? do they create tastes of sublimed listeners? no.
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot_star View Post
but they are so two-faced it does my head in.

Aye, it's this like when they wrote about how terrible the demise of HMV would be for bands and how it would scupper the chances of new bands getting a second chance. Then if you scroll down someone actually said "Maybe bands would get more of a 'second chance' if titles such as the NME actually paid them the attention they deserve after their first album," to which the author replied "that's irrelevant."

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
All the teenagers and twenty-somethings will be saying exactly the same as James in 20 yrs..* it's not as good as it was in my day*
Apart from me.....because it is pretty shit
Old 09-01-2011, 17:51
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
so add Zane and some others. do they focus on the message of the new bands? do they create tastes of sublimed listeners? no.
I'm just saying, nobody cares about magazines anymore really.
Old 09-01-2011, 17:51
Bored out of my mind

It's not as good as in 1998 I tell thee! (chart-wise)
Old 09-01-2011, 17:52
Knowlede Is Power

To be honest I agree with him. I find one new band I love every few years nowadays.