Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-01-2011, 22:39
I live to fall asleep

love how after the No Manifesto clip, everyone loves Further Away.
No, it's true, the filler songs like LTD aren't recognised by casuals, so spice it up lads
Who cares if Nicky plays the bass wrong on it.... Fun!

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 06-01-2011, 22:52
Winterlover

Further Away's been a favourite of mine for a while. I'm gutted they haven't played it live for fucking years.
Old 06-01-2011, 22:59
Footprint of history

I've always thought it slightly telling that me and my mate who used to post on here as Be_Natural would have contests to see who'd seen the Manics play a song that the other hadn't. I think it came down to me having gone to Move 2003 (for 'Prologue...' and 'Judge Yr'self') and her having gone to the Heavenly gig. Everything else I'd see she had too, and we've not been to a huge number of gig relative to others on here (fewer than twenty between us, I think).
Old 06-01-2011, 23:03
Stretched out in the sun

Old 06-01-2011, 23:07
Bored of being bored

Waking up again
To the same old thing
To the same old songs
To the same old pain
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35
I am purity, they call me perverted

These threads about setlists are always interesting to read.

Since MSP frequently tour in the UK, you have the opportunity to see them on a fairly regular basis. That now makes me a tad jealous.

I've only seen them once (in Toronto in October of 2009) and I thought they were amazing. And at that point in time, I only knew (I think) three or four of their songs really well, but I loved everything they played that night.

Because they hadn't played in Toronto for ten years, a lot of people in the audience had waited an entire decade to see them. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that the atmosphere was electric. And because the crowd was so receptive, I think that made them even better and it didn't matter that I wasn't familiar with the songs because I enjoyed the hell out of what they played!

I am hoping that they will come back at some point this year, but I would guess that they probably lost money on that 2009 North American tour (small venues, relatively cheap tickets). So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get a chance to moan about setlists some time this year too!!! (Although - honestly - I wouldn't moan about them at all because I'd be so glad they'd come back to Canada!)

Old 07-01-2011, 03:41
Doors slowly closing

This is completely unrelated but I love the quote in your sig, Cara.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:47
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara cathau View Post
These threads about setlists are always interesting to read.

Since MSP frequently tour in the UK, you have the opportunity to see them on a fairly regular basis. That now makes me a tad jealous.

I've only seen them once (in Toronto in October of 2009) and I thought they were amazing. And at that point in time, I only knew (I think) three or four of their songs really well, but I loved everything they played that night.

Because they hadn't played in Toronto for ten years, a lot of people in the audience had waited an entire decade to see them. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that the atmosphere was electric. And because the crowd was so receptive, I think that made them even better and it didn't matter that I wasn't familiar with the songs because I enjoyed the hell out of what they played!

I am hoping that they will come back at some point this year, but I would guess that they probably lost money on that 2009 North American tour (small venues, relatively cheap tickets). So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get a chance to moan about setlists some time this year too!!! (Although - honestly - I wouldn't moan about them at all because I'd be so glad they'd come back to Canada!)
Got to say I agree with a ton of this.

First, that gig was unbelievable! Probably the best concert I've ever been to (but unlike you I had been a fan for a while so I knew all the songs).

But you make a good point in that a good performance can cover for lesser known songs. In NA it makes sense that they play a greatest hits set - but in the UK especially they really should vary it. Their fans are dedicated enough to know more songs than just the main hits.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:25
Bored out of my mind

Unless someone can get through to Nicky Wire the battle is lost with regards to moaning about setlists. He's set in his ways.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post
But when you're playing to 3,000 people a night and have been around for 20 years, you're preaching to the converted. So you can afford to indulge yourself - and the fans.
Hear this, Nicky: You're preaching to the converted!!!

2001 Axion Beach Rock - Zeebrugge, BEL
2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2003 Midtfyns Festival - Ringe, Denmark
2004 IOW Festival - Isle Of Wight, UK+ Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2004 Wembley Arena - London, UK
2006 Haldern Pop - Haldern, Germany
2007 Rocknacht - Köln, Germany + Hexagon - Reading, UK + Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2008 Pukkelpop Festival - Kiewit, BEL
2009 Roundhouse - London, UK + Lokerse Feesten - Lokeren, BEL
2011 Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK + Cardiff International Arena - Cardiff, Wales + Pinkpop, Landgraaf, Holland + O2 Arena - London, UK
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
2014 Brixton Academy - London, UK + AB - Brussels, BEL
2016 AB - Brussels, BEL+ Royal Albert Hall - London, UK
Old 07-01-2011, 12:31
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiZi View Post
1. Sleepflower
2. Motorcycle Emptiness
3. New Song
4. Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
5. Australia
6. Empty Souls
7. New song
8. Tsunami
9. Kevin Carter
10. New song
11. Aumtumnsong
12. Jackie Collins Existential Question Time
13. Suicide is Painless (Theme from M*A*S*H)
14. New Song
15. Masses Against the Classes
16. The Everlasting (acoustic)
17. Found That Soul
18. You Stole The Sun From My Heart
19. Motown Junk (with a new cool intro)
20. Ready For Drowning
21. New Song
22. If You Tolerate This
23. You Love Us
24. A Design For Life
I remember posting this setlist months before the tour, and I hate to say I was almost spot on. However, I was too optimistic about the number of PFAYM-songs

It sums up how predictable they became last years ...

I've reached the point that I'm not sure anymore I want to travel to see the Manics. For me, it's an awful thought, as I consider myself a 'hardcore-fan'. I just sold my Brixtonticket- not worth the hotel, eurostar anymore ...

2001 Axion Beach Rock - Zeebrugge, BEL
2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2003 Midtfyns Festival - Ringe, Denmark
2004 IOW Festival - Isle Of Wight, UK+ Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2004 Wembley Arena - London, UK
2006 Haldern Pop - Haldern, Germany
2007 Rocknacht - Köln, Germany + Hexagon - Reading, UK + Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2008 Pukkelpop Festival - Kiewit, BEL
2009 Roundhouse - London, UK + Lokerse Feesten - Lokeren, BEL
2011 Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK + Cardiff International Arena - Cardiff, Wales + Pinkpop, Landgraaf, Holland + O2 Arena - London, UK
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
2014 Brixton Academy - London, UK + AB - Brussels, BEL
2016 AB - Brussels, BEL+ Royal Albert Hall - London, UK
Old 07-01-2011, 17:06
Winterlover

I kinda agree with the quote to an extent, but it doesn't apply to them now as much as it did when the book was written. If I went to see the Manics having never done so before, I'd expect certain tracks to be in there Design for Life, Motorcycle Emptiness and Tolerate at the very least. Having said that it doesn't all have to be singles and hits. I'm a casual fan of other bands and most do play their bigger songs, and most have staples that are album tracks and other semi-rare tracks. I don't think they have to change wholesale every night, but they should probably accept that now they are playing academies and smaller venues, it is a more knowledgeable fanbase that they are playing to, not like the heady days of 1999.

I think the Manics have a certain fear that transposes onto their performances, wheras so many other bands chuck rarities in even if they don't go down well just for the hell of having fun playing as a band, because they enjoy it. They are quite complex characters with strong personal tastes, which unfortunately for more hardcore fans, seems to make the band unable to do anything other than put on a greatest hits show.

NB: If they were to do a tour of Greatest Hits once more, I don't imagine it would be a whole load different to A. the last hits tour and B. the current tour setlist for obvious reasons.
Old 07-01-2011, 17:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiZi View Post
I remember posting this setlist months before the tour, and I hate to say I was almost spot on. However, I was too optimistic about the number of PFAYM-songs

It sums up how predictable they became last years ...

I've reached the point that I'm not sure anymore I want to travel to see the Manics. For me, it's an awful thought, as I consider myself a 'hardcore-fan'. I just sold my Brixtonticket- not worth the hotel, eurostar anymore ...
Hearing this kind of thing from a lot of hard-core fans makes me wonder when they will realise that it's the hardcore fans not just the casual fans that buy their singles, go to gigs.....and things like the boxset price don't help.
Old 07-01-2011, 17:41
Footprint of history

I'm on the other side of the fence. I've been seeing them live since 1994 and I want to hear hits not obscure album tracks. I get embarrsed for the group when you are in the middle of the crowd and they start getting restless.
Old 07-01-2011, 17:44
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Hearing this kind of thing from a lot of hard-core fans makes me wonder when they will realise that it's the hardcore fans not just the casual fans that buy their singles, go to gigs.....
Wise words!