Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-05-2019, 20:54
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

There was a bloke in Dublin who never moved until Motorcycle Emptiness. Ten minutes later he was in a heep on the floor. I'd say he was probably in his early 30's so it's not just the older fans.

I got really close to the barrier on both nights in London. There was a lot of jumping around, especially after TIMTTMY. It was good natured though. I did have to hold my arm against the barrier as I was concious of being trust into the two people in front of me at the barrier.

You expect this at gigs but you have to draw the line if you're having a negative impact on other people's enjoyment of the show. That's the problem I guess, some people just don't give a fuck.

Last edited by Gusto; 25-05-2019 at 20:57.
Old 25-05-2019, 22:25
Bored of being bored

Considering when I was at Wembley in December 1998, there crowd was very mixed and in all honesty in terms of Male/Female. From my experience of their gigs 1995 - 2002, alot of fans dressed up with the Richie/Nicky looks but its been a rarity since then.

Yes, there are a fair few who get tanked up before they arrive, thankfully no one was throwing piss at the gig as that would certainly be an Oasis crowd.

On the Saturday there were a handful of couples, like I said I was about 15 people from the barrier and got involved when it kicked off a after the LP because I'm into that and enjoy greatly getting into the music etc
Old 26-05-2019, 00:06
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Again ??? Just close the fucking bar

Fuck that. Thousands of us are going to these gigs. Why prohibit all of us from having a drink or three just because a couple of individuals, who for all we know may not even have been drinking and who have no connection to the rest of us, started a couple of fights?
Old 26-05-2019, 16:37
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Fuck that. Thousands of us are going to these gigs. Why prohibit all of us from having a drink or three just because a couple of individuals, who for all we know may not even have been drinking and who have no connection to the rest of us, started a couple of fights?
Just a suggestion.
Old 26-05-2019, 17:51
Knowlede Is Power

Richey used to get really drunk before Manics gigs so why can't the Manics massive?
Old 26-05-2019, 20:21
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesy View Post
Richey used to get really drunk before Manics gigs so why can't the Manics massive?
Because he didn’t thump members of the audience?
Old 26-05-2019, 20:29
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesy View Post

And he was so bad at guitar they had they turn him down to an inaudible level.

Not to make light of her addiction, but alcohol didn't really help Amy Winehouse's live performances...

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 26-05-2019, 21:22
Bored of being bored

It's irrelevant if Richard was smashed out of his mullet because it did not do anything for his performances just made them dire.

It's an old cliché of artists or band members being on booze & drugs before hitting the stage, it's all been done before.
Old 27-05-2019, 13:20
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
Because he didn’t thump members of the audience?
He could get violent when humping
Old 27-05-2019, 18:31
I live to fall asleep

It's all so sad that what's supposed to be a fun night out can be spoiled by folk who can't handle their ale,I was at the Friday show in London and it seemed pretty cool on the barrier but I've had other shows where it sure wasn't such as Camden on the HB@20 tour where some dick and his slapper was slam dancing to the quiet songs -it got very heated sadly.

I would say that I cant be fucked with this shit anymore but I still drag my flabby arse to the shows, what choice do we have over such matters though ?,obv it's not worth retaliating as one would only get slung out by security and we wouldnt want to miss the show cos of these morons.

And I for one am a tremendous physical coward who can't fight for toffee

Shit I dunno

*sigh*

Last edited by rpmacmurphy; 27-05-2019 at 18:34.
Old 27-05-2019, 19:01
I live to fall asleep

A big chunk of it is, I think, down to the nature of the venue. At the arena gigs on the last couple of tours if you want to just stand and nod along you can go back to the more sparse areas and be away from it. If you want to be in the thick of it you make for the crowd. Somewhere like the academy in Birmingham (shitehole it is) you’re stuck, as the edge is entirely taken with the mercy stalls, bars and toilets. So you either have to join the crush towards the centre of spend the entire evening getting walloped by people making their way to and from the bar, dousing everyone with beer as they go.
Old 27-05-2019, 21:50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Fucking hell! If people dont want to get knocked or jostled by the mosh pit, then get a fucking seat!!!
I agree that fights are bad and unnecisary, but I seriously cant be arsed with all this "safe space" fucking bullshit. This is the reason venues have seats. If you dont mind juming around, dancing, and pushing, then stand! If you dont want it and just want to listen, then sit!!!

Fuck sake!

Sorry for my anger, its just as somone who likes a friendly mosh, im sick of dealing with kill joys stood with their arms folded, getting arsey and lashing out at me every time i get pushed anywhere near them.

It is a GIG people.
But that's not quite the same as starting fights with people and throwing punches.
Old 27-05-2019, 23:14
Builder of routine

Sorry but if the band has to stop a gig because there's a punch up in the crowd then it's gone too far. No one should have to put up with that. It's more than the normal jostling or pushing.
Old 28-05-2019, 07:12
Knowlede Is Power

Ok, sorry about my very sweary amd badly thought out post laat night.
I guess i was just generally feeling annoyed with alot of discussion I had seen on social media recently by people complaining about moshing and jumping, saying things like "I should have the right to stand and watch a gig without being pushed into while i was trying to film the entire thing ect." These are also the same folk who complain about, "my enjoyment of the gig was totally ruined because somone tall stood inftont of me." I mean, where does it end? Closing the bars amd having everyone stand perfectly still in hight order???
Anyway, I accept that this is of course totally different from what is being discussed in this thread, and yes, throwing punches and starting fights is taking things WAY too far, and yes, people should be able to enjoy a gig without the fear of being attacked.

Ill get my coat now...

Last edited by Suicide Aldi; 07-10-2021 at 04:43.
Old 28-05-2019, 17:10
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Ok, sorry about my very sweary amd badly thought out post laat night.
I guess i was just generally feeling pissed off with alot of discussion I had seen on social media recently by people complaining about moshing and jumping, saying things like "I should have the right to stand and watch a gig without being pushed into while i was trying to film the entire thing ect." These are also the same folk who complain about, "my enjoyment of the gig was totally ruined because somone tall stood inftont of me." I mean, where does it end? Closing the bars amd having everyone stand perfectly still in hight order???
Anyway, I accept that this is of course totally different from what is being discussed in this thread, and yes, throwing punches and starting fights is taking things WAY too far, and yes, people should be able to enjoy a gig without the fear of being attacked.

Ill get my coat now...

I very much echo a lot of this. Was at the Shepherd’s Bush Friday gig, and it’s probably the tensest standing area I’ve been in. One guy had a massive go at another guy for filming (kinda justifiably, but was way out of order in terms of anger levels...), and a lot of people getting angry at each other for either jumping too much, or standing too still. None of this excuses fist fights, but there just seemed to be a real bad feeling... something I’ve never really noticed before at Manics gigs?

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple