Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 13-05-2019, 18:16
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I presume Nobody Loved You's exclusion is all to do about their feelings about Richey and nothing to do with the music in question. Nobody Loved Richey except Nick.............. And James and Sean, his Sister, his Mum and Dad, his lovers, his friends, the bloke in the local off licence who sold him his fags and vodka. It's a fair guess that perhaps the band have rightfully changed their mind on a lyric that pretty much spits in the face of the people in Richey's life which aren't Nicky Wire. Rather than using it as a stick to beat the band with, maybe we should be happy that they've grown wiser with age.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 13-05-2019, 21:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

I enjoyed the gig, my 7th time seeing them, but am slightly erred they left off a track in Nobody Loved You. I'm sure it will eventually come out when they play in the UK the exact reason for omitting the track.

I never liked Born A Girl and didn't like it live either. SYMM really came to life live tho.
Old 14-05-2019, 07:56
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I presume Nobody Loved You's exclusion is all to do about their feelings about Richey and nothing to do with the music in question. Nobody Loved Richey except Nick.............. And James and Sean, his Sister, his Mum and Dad, his lovers, his friends, the bloke in the local off licence who sold him his fags and vodka. It's a fair guess that perhaps the band have rightfully changed their mind on a lyric that pretty much spits in the face of the people in Richey's life which aren't Nicky Wire. Rather than using it as a stick to beat the band with, maybe we should be happy that they've grown wiser with age.
Aye, so why not take the opportunity to clarify rather than pretend it never happened?

I've seen em loads of times when they've plucked out an older, lesser or never played song and made some self-depricating quip where they end up slagging off the song they're about to play. Yeah, it was written about Richey but it needn't be set in stone. A lot of us will have had some relationship or other where someone means the world to you at a certain time and you're so certain you're the only one who truly understands them, then all of a sudden they're out of your life. Course it's not the same as the disappearance of someone who's been in the public eye, but still you've got no idea what they're up to or how you are once they're out of your life and you are left wondering, so it's identifiable on some level.
Old 14-05-2019, 08:12
Bored of being bored

I've said this on another thread, but I've honestly never interpreted the message of 'Nobody Loved You' to be that Nicky was the only person in the world who loved Richey. It's about the fact that Richey felt that no-one loved him, and just how wrong he was about that, and the sadness of the fact that now Richey will never know how much he was loved. Which makes it an immensely moving song to me and I'm sad that it looks pretty certain I'll never get to hear it live.
Old 14-05-2019, 08:24
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflower View Post
I've said this on another thread, but I've honestly never interpreted the message of 'Nobody Loved You' to be that Nicky was the only person in the world who loved Richey. It's about the fact that Richey felt that no-one loved him, and just how wrong he was about that, and the sadness of the fact that now Richey will never know how much he was loved. Which makes it an immensely moving song to me and I'm sad that it looks pretty certain I'll never get to hear it live.
That, too. Think the song kinda alternates between the voice of the one who loves and the one who loves speaking on behalf of the one they love who felt unloved. Still, here we go, three comments on a page with differing interpretations of the song. A song which I personally feel is an important one for the era and a shame that it's being excluded.

I dunno about going from Everlasting to You Stole The Sun either...
Old 14-05-2019, 13:23
Bored of being bored

It's irrelevant to whom it's about or what it concerns, we all have our own interpretations, even self ones, it still should be played.
Old 14-05-2019, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
It's irrelevant to whom it's about or what it concerns, we all have our own interpretations, even self ones, it still should be played.
Why? You're still getting more songs off TIMT during one show than if you were to have attended every gig during the original TIMT tour....

Do you disagree with the band no longer sing "I laughed when Lennon got shot" during Motown Junk?

Last edited by Routine Builder; 14-05-2019 at 14:49.
Old 14-05-2019, 15:01
A self-made vacuum

The tour was advertised as the album in full plus much more - which is not what we are getting and it's poor form
Old 14-05-2019, 15:49

The album is being played in full, they just revised the track list, prior to the tickets going on sale... On the scale of shitty things the band has done or said, this doesn't even break the top 50... It's not as if the band don't always make explicit promise about songs being played on tour and they never materialise (Prologue to History being a repeat offender).

Has anyone been bothered to ask Sean on Twitter? NLY's exclusion has been known since October?

Last edited by Routine Builder; 14-05-2019 at 15:54.
Old 14-05-2019, 17:00
Bored of being bored

I would like to know why they have decided to omit it, that's all, there are probably a lot of people who want to hear it Live.

As for Motown Junk, well it was released 11 yrs after he was murdered, not 11 yrs before, so I'm not sure of the logic here?

Empty Souls was sung Live properly with the changes to the lyrics for Radio/Single
Old 14-05-2019, 18:33
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Bradfield View Post
The tour was advertised as the album in full plus much more - which is not what we are getting and it's poor form
I agree. And it is for this reason that I have 1x standing ticket available for London Shepherd’s Bush on the 17th. Face value of course.
Old 14-05-2019, 19:04
Knowlede Is Power

The Motown Junk / Lennon thing - it's totally understandable why James leaves that line out when performing the song live. When that line was written it was a naive attempt at being controversial. As the band grew wiser they realised it's really fucking embarrassingly cringe-worthy.

As for Nobody Loved You... what Routine Builder said.
Old 14-05-2019, 21:04

The band also cut Tsunami from their setlists for a period following the 2004 Tsunami. The band have been wary about how songs could be perceived rather than a lyrics original meaning. Couple Nobody Loved You's exclusion with recent book challenging the band's relationship with Richey, you can see why they might drop it and also, not explain why so as not to give certain parties a sense of satisfaction.

I'm only guessing but basing on why they've made song changes in the past. Musically speaking, they've never ragged on it as much as Been Natural, so I'm pretty sure this is about the lyrical content.

Old 15-05-2019, 09:09
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
The album is being played in full, they just revised the track list, prior to the tickets going on sale... On the scale of shitty things the band has done or said, this doesn't even break the top 50... It's not as if the band don't always make explicit promise about songs being played on tour and they never materialise (Prologue to History being a repeat offender).

Has anyone been bothered to ask Sean on Twitter? NLY's exclusion has been known since October?
It's not being played in full and I'm surprised you don't find it misleading to say that it is. Like I said earlier, I don't recall any other bands doing that for an album gig/tour. Saw Radiohead at LCCC back in 2008 after In Rainbows came out. They played 9/10 songs off that album that day, may as well have advertised that as "playing the album in full and much more".

I can't recall them making an explicit promise about songs being played on tour and not, which ones are you talking about? Wire's teased in tweets many a time about rehearsing songs for a tour that haven't been performed in the end, but y'know, there wasn't an advertising campaign saying they would be.

Quote:
The band also cut Tsunami from their setlists for a period following the 2004 Tsunami. The band have been wary about how songs could be perceived rather than a lyrics original meaning. Couple Nobody Loved You's exclusion with recent book challenging the band's relationship with Richey, you can see why they might drop it and also, not explain why so as not to give certain parties a sense of satisfaction.

I'm only guessing but basing on why they've made song changes in the past. Musically speaking, they've never ragged on it as much as Been Natural, so I'm pretty sure this is about the lyrical content.
But they never advertised that they were gonna play Tsunami.. I laughed when Lennon got shot - yeah, bloody early on in their career, they were wanting to be confrontational and brash, say whatever it takes whether you mean it or not to get the attention. Doesn't take anything away from the song not to sing it although I did wonder about whether Paul McCartney was aware of it when they supported him...

By all means cut out Nobody Loved You, just don't advertise that you're playing "the album in full and much more" when you're not.
Old 15-05-2019, 09:38

Honestly if people's gigs are ruined by the exclusion of one song signalled all the way back in October/November, I'm not going to understand.

I went to three gigs off the Postcards tour and got five fucking songs off that album, so as far as expectations go for this tour, I'm more than pleased.