Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 15-05-2019, 22:50
Bored of being bored

Fcukin Phones & Morons on Social Media who are more concerned than watching the stage, it's completely pointless to go to a gig, I wish they'd ban phones at gigs but it's impossible.

I know what it's like to have the gig ruined by the crowd geezer, sorry it went this way for you.
Old 15-05-2019, 22:59
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
For no reason owing to the band, probably my worst gig.

Reason 1: like clockwork after Gwenno, two tall fucks push past me to stand directly in front near the stage. I've never seen two people look more disinterested at a gig. 50% of the time they were looking around, bored out of their minds. 40% of the time looking down at their phones and the final 10% Facebook casting the gig.

Reason 2. People Facebook casting the gig. There was a couple in front of me casting the entire gif sticking their phone in the air. Christ during Tolerate, I could barely see the stage for people videoing/casting the gig. If you're that type of person, you're fucking ignorant of the people behind you trying to watch the gig. Develop basic manners.

/Rant
Which side of the hall were you, RB? There was two guys in flowery shirts that looked bored throughout, they would probably be pretty central, maybe three or four rows back.

1993 - Milton Keynes
2002 - Cardiff
2014 - Bournemouth
2018 - Wembley Arena
2019 - Bath
2021 - Cardiff
2021 - Bath
2021 - Wembley Arena
2022 - Bristol
2023 - Bath

Torn between the then and now, never really knowing the why and how
Old 16-05-2019, 00:04
Bored out of my mind

First gig of the tour for me and I enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. I’ve not really been in the Manics zone since around this time last year and have been busy in other fandoms, but I always find the Manics nice to come back to after a break. I enjoyed hearing the Truth tracks I’d never heard before, plus it’s always a treat to hear Ready For Drowning (one of my all time favourite Manics songs) I hadn’t heard Prologue to History since my first Manics gig almost 16 years ago (Move Festival), which is a bit crazy. James seemed really up for that one. It’s a shame that they’re not playing Nobody Loved You, but I can kind of understand why.

If I hadn’t heard about them soundchecking Umbrella yesterday, it would have been a big surprise them playing it tonight, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Although I can’t help but think of Tom Holland on Lip Sync Battle whenever I hear that song now

I’m so glad they’ve ditched the arena gigs this tour. They are much better suited to venues this size and I actually came away all hot and sweaty afterwards, which I don’t think happened once on the RIF tour last year. The crowd round me on the barrier just to the left of James were decent...enthusiastic without being dicks about it.

Next stop Manchester for me. I like the Ritz and Mancunian crowds tend to be decent, so looking forward to those.
Old 16-05-2019, 06:10
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldland Manic View Post
Which side of the hall were you, RB? There was two guys in flowery shirts that looked bored throughout, they would probably be pretty central, maybe three or four rows back.
right behind them.....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 16-05-2019, 08:50
Freed from the century

South Yorkshire Mass Murderer was immense. So heartfelt, and 30 years on sadly still so relevant and timely.
Old 16-05-2019, 10:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

I really enjoyed that. Happily no phone imbeciles on my side. I'm cool with people sticking them up for a few seconds every now and then and that's all that happened.
Old 16-05-2019, 15:52
I live to fall asleep

What do people make of Gwenno? I was really impressed at the Dublin gig.
Old 16-05-2019, 18:31
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoney MoJunk View Post
Bit too quirky for me. I didn't mind The Escapists nor the Anchoress, but Gwenno was just the other side of the line of quirky acceptability.

1993 - Milton Keynes
2002 - Cardiff
2014 - Bournemouth
2018 - Wembley Arena
2019 - Bath
2021 - Cardiff
2021 - Bath
2021 - Wembley Arena
2022 - Bristol
2023 - Bath

Torn between the then and now, never really knowing the why and how
Old 16-05-2019, 19:06

Quote:
Liked her lots. She was in The Pipettes, if anyone remembers them - a very different proposition. The one time I've seen her since she went solo, it was just her and a bunch of electronics, so it was nice to see her with a band. Also, who doesn't love a song about whether there is or isn't cheese, sung in Cornish?
Old 16-05-2019, 20:02
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
I'd heard a few tracks of Gwenno on 6music recently and liked what I heard. I enjoyed her performance last night. Over the years, I think I've been happier with the MSP support lineups as time has gone on - they've generally been good over the last few tours or so.

I deliberately hadn't listened to Truth in a while before last night (I'm still to listen to the remastered album) so a lot of it sounded fresh in a way (I'm Not Working sounded almost a bit unfamiliar), which was nice. Last night made me remember how interesting some of the compositions actually are compared to some of their other albums.

Highlights were Tender, Born a Girl, Be Natural, Ready for Drowning and surprisingly SYMM. I also liked the welly JDB put into the vocals on Prologue. Black Dog unfortunately had a slight sharp whine coming out from nick Nasmyth which put me off a bit.

Quite liked Umbrella, but would've preferred a multitude of the band's own songs over that choice.
Old 16-05-2019, 21:50
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
I thought she was really good. She was on Jools Holland, possibly the same one the Manics were on, and I liked her on that too.
Old 19-05-2019, 17:57
Winterlover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9de1JRxWfUI

I'm sorry to say this (and sorry to be pretty consistent about it in the last years),
but it seems that the time when I will be able to sing Manics' songs better than James ist not endlessly far away anymore. :-(
Old 19-05-2019, 21:04

Sounds fine to me. Maybe bugs out a couple of notes near the beginning - it happens. Other perceived imperfections mostly a result of awful audio quality, a couple of people singing (shouting) along within earshot of the mobile etc. I wouldn’t say he’s necessarily the strongest he’s ever been vocally but not all that far off.
Old 19-05-2019, 22:20
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I'm so impressed with how well rehearsed these rarer songs are
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 22-05-2019, 20:02
Bored out of my mind

A bit late, but here are a handful of photos. I've not really been taking many on this tour so far though, so they're not the best. I think I was too absorbed in the rarer Truth tracks.

This one makes Nicky look like a human torch, but there we are