Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 15-05-2019, 11:42
Bored of being bored

No one has said their gigs are ruined, but it's a song that means a lot to many Manics fans, so it's completely natural for us to be disappointed it's been removed from what's supposed to be the album played in full. It's not comparable to the Postcards tour because that was never billed as being the Postcards album in full.

If they'd been open about the reason for excluding it - even if they'd just said 'we're not comfortable with the lyrics so won't play it on the tour' and left it at that - I'd find it a lot more palatable than them just pretending it doesn't exist.
Old 15-05-2019, 13:29
Bored of being bored

You see this is the Problem, whey they clearly advertised they were playing the LP in Full which is misleading, so for example if you specifically bought the ticket because of this & it's not played, then under false advertising you could get a refund surely as its not abiding to what was promoted.

I saw the tour in 1998 & obviously like many tours with many bands we got about 7 songs off it, I will still go on Saturday but this is probably going to be the last time, I was at THB gigs in 2014 the last tours never interested me.
Old 15-05-2019, 20:37
Born to end

The Lennon line I always interpreted as a sardonic laugh, as in the good guys get murdered while the demons still run amok, so all you can do is laugh. Like that Bill Hicks gag.. "If you're gonna murder someone, have some fucking taste - I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house!" That awful new Richey book actually stated the same thing in regards to the Lennon lyric, which is one of the few parts of the book I actually agreed with.

But yeh, I would probably have bought the vinyl reissue of TIMT had they not replaced Nobody Loved You. I can see that saying "nobody loved you like me" is very self-absorbed, but it just shows how much Nicky loved and missed him at the time of writing, and probably still does. Of course Nicky knows, and we all know, that nobody will love him more than his family! The lyric was just what came out while grieving, and everybody handles grief in very different ways. I feel the song is an important testament to this feeling at that moment in time.

Anyway, I hope whoever got tickets for the tour has(/had) a great time!

Last edited by 4our5ive6ix; 15-05-2019 at 20:42. Reason: typo
Old 16-05-2019, 07:24
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Honestly if people's gigs are ruined by the exclusion of one song signalled all the way back in October/November, I'm not going to understand.

I went to three gigs off the Postcards tour and got five fucking songs off that album, so as far as expectations go for this tour, I'm more than pleased.
Who’s said you their gig was ruined by the exclusion of one song? Several of us are saying playing “the album in full and much more” should mean just that but it doesn’t. There’s no ambiguity, it’s not the album in full.

What expectations did you have for the Postcards tour and what point are you trying to make?
Old 16-05-2019, 07:49
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

More than 4/5 songs in a 25 song setlist.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 16-05-2019, 10:45
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
More than 4/5 songs in a 25 song setlist.
Yeah was a bit piss poor representation of Postcards that tour... I went to 12 dates and managed to get 7/12 off the album, only one I missed that was played at all was The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever. The rescheduled Birmingham date only had 3 Postcards songs but got 4 from Everything Must Go. They only managed 6/12 for Resistance Is Futile across the whole tour mind, which leaves it as the worst represented album. Maybe if it’d have been smaller venues longer tour like Postcards there’d have been a couple more, maybe not. Wondered if they’d have brought summat else into the set for this tour like they did for Futurology and the Holy Bible anniversary tours.

Not massively surprised it hasn’t happened yet, easier to fit half an album or more into a night when you’ve got less albums. My top three of the last two albums have never been played and I don’t find that surprising either. But I do find it surprising that an album in full isn’t an album in full. It’s not like when Wire was talking about “Springsteen-esque sets”, bit vague, hyperbolic and maybe people will have different interpretations of that. It’s not a statement of fact on a par with “album in full”.
Old 16-05-2019, 11:30
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

But they revised the tracklist for the 20th Anniversary (first known about all the way back in September). Knowing this I can't see how people on FD are feeling cheated (I'd forgive the lay person who doesn't buy the recent editions or following the band's media presence). Isn't this akin to buying a cinema ticket for Star Wars and being shown the special edition. They just didn't specify which version of the album people were getting. The tour poster even uses the 20th anniversary cover. I know Im being an obtuse pedant, but I was 100% sure Nobody Loved You wouldn't be played from before the tour was officially announced. I'm just surprised that a)more people here expected it and b) holding it against the band (or their management).

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 16-05-2019, 12:19
I am purity, they call me perverted

Fully expected Nobody Loved You to be dropped from the setlist. It's the 'and much more' qualification that seems a bit disingenuous. Much more like what...Sleepflower? La Tristesse Durera? One genuinely good track from Lifeblood isn't swaying me, especially considering the ticket price.
Old 17-05-2019, 09:45
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
But they revised the tracklist for the 20th Anniversary (first known about all the way back in September). Knowing this I can't see how people on FD are feeling cheated (I'd forgive the lay person who doesn't buy the recent editions or following the band's media presence). Isn't this akin to buying a cinema ticket for Star Wars and being shown the special edition. They just didn't specify which version of the album people were getting. The tour poster even uses the 20th anniversary cover. I know Im being an obtuse pedant, but I was 100% sure Nobody Loved You wouldn't be played from before the tour was officially announced. I'm just surprised that a)more people here expected it and b) holding it against the band (or their management).
I suppose it's akin to going to see Star Wars and being shown the special edition if a key scene is cut and replaced by an out take.

Why wouldn't we expect it to be played? It's part of the album. Yeah, they revised the tracklist for the 20th anniversary edition. Doesn't even mention the 20th anniversary on here though

I was probably about 70% sure Nobody Loved You was gonna get excluded from the tour. I don't think it should've been and the adverts clearly stating that the album would be played in full are wrong. Wonder what the other 20 copies of the album from 1998 I've got are now if the anniversary is the original now. I've got a This Is My "Thruth" Tell Me Yours cassette...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondgoodandevil View Post
Fully expected Nobody Loved You to be dropped from the setlist. It's the 'and much more' qualification that seems a bit disingenuous. Much more like what...Sleepflower? La Tristesse Durera? One genuinely good track from Lifeblood isn't swaying me, especially considering the ticket price.
Much more is a stretch.. 10 songs, a set shorter than the album. Wasn't expecting a mammoth The Cure length setlist, mind. Surprised there hasn't been an acoustic break like there has in every one of their own headline gigs for fuck knows how long. Was looking forward to that most for the second half cos there seems to be a bit more variation there and with Everlasting already done that's one of the regulars gone. Ah well.

Hope I enjoy the gigs I'm going to, half-planning on sacking off Liverpool but shifting tickets... There are actually a few tickets less than face value on Stubhub of all places.
Old 17-05-2019, 10:19
I am purity, they call me perverted

Biggest disappointment to me was the mix. Maybe i'm being overly sensitive but it ruined the album run through for me. I could understand having the extra musicians on for certain songs that needed them, that would benefit but having them on for every song was just stupid and the worst of it was the mix....jesus, for the first half the backing guitarists and even sometimes vocalist were higher than James in the mix.... overall a very disappointing gig but Sleepflower in particularand the second half did salvage some of it.

When KYE came out and the lads went on their usual criticism of their last album James said something about seeing footage of himself singing the everlasting towards the end of the tour and that he was disgusted because he could see from his facial expressions and mannerisms that he was faking emotions 'acting the part' of a singer singing an important song, going through the motions, making faces to appear like there was still passion behind his actions.

The album run through was 90% like that and he only seemed to come alive for the second half.
Old 17-05-2019, 13:40
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
half-planning on sacking off Liverpool
I should think the emotional punch of South Yorkshire Mass Murderer in Liverpool will be off the scale.
Old 20-05-2019, 14:13
Winterlover

Moving Tolerate to the end is an interesting move. It's the sort of thing that really gets on your wick if you're literally expecting the album to be in its tracklist order. However, I've seen bands do "album in full" shows when they've meddled with the order significantly.

In this case I think the fact that it's only one song out of order that bothers folk. If they'd played around with the order significantly, I imagine people would have cared a lot less.