Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-06-2011, 20:08
Doors slowly closing

it's all a matter of taste, opinion, blah blah blah, but still - JFPL ranked below SATT, GT and PFAYM? even the comments they have seem to undermine their own ranking of it.

said it before and shall say it again - LB contains 1985, an absolute masterpiece. i would forgive practically anything else on it just because of the glory of that track, but i don't have to as i like the vast majority of stuff on it.
blog
Old 20-06-2011, 20:17
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
The only magazine I've bought recently was The Ultimate Music Guide to Pink Floyd. In which a reviewer, who was a fan of the actual album, goes through them track by track and marking each one out of 5. In a way it basically spoils the albums by telling people, who had never heard them before of what happens.

My point is, the band are four or five albums away from having a magazine like this. (Pink Floyd have 14)
I think then, and only then, will Lifeblood be regarded as one of the band's highlights. In the meantime, laugh at Classic Rock's Aunt Sally mindset and keep listening to Lifeblood.
Old 20-06-2011, 20:32
Knowlede Is Power

Haha I actually really love Lifeblood, good for autumn and winter days when it's raining/snowing. Reviews will always have a small amount of truth and a massive amount of personal opinion in them. *shrugs* *moves on*
Old 20-06-2011, 20:33
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
As bollocksy of a list as one would expect from something called Classic Rock.
Yeah, I just had to glance at the name of the magazine and just rolled my eyes.

I've been listening to Lifeblood a lot lately, its a really great and underrated album and it's really grown on me.

2014 - April 11 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2014 - April 12 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
Old 20-06-2011, 20:51
I live to fall asleep

They ranked GATS, SATT and even fucking PFAYM above Lifeblood? They don't deserve ears.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 20-06-2011, 20:58
Bored out of my mind

Oi! Lay off Postcards! (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 20-06-2011, 21:19
I am purity, they call me perverted

Regard all art critics as useless and dangerous.
Old 20-06-2011, 23:00
Stretched out in the sun

Why is everyone upset about Lifeblood when they had the audacity to rank PFAYM above JFPL? That is a true crime.
Old 21-06-2011, 00:12
Freed from the century

Classic Rock magazine, your Manics album preference is bad and you should feel bad.

2014 - April 11 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2014 - April 12 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
Old 21-06-2011, 06:18
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Why is everyone upset about Lifeblood when they had the audacity to rank PFAYM above JFPL? That is a true crime.
i think you'll note that at least i agree with you mate

if we take this article "seriously", and it's clear that we shouldn't since the writer doesn't know their arse from their elbow going on their own contradictory comments about each album, then there would be a compelling case to have KYE or, at a push, GATS as the "worst ranked" or "avoid" album more than LB.

as someone has said here, and has been said more than once in the past, the band for some inexplicable reason shitting all over the album themselves doesn't particularly help.
blog
Old 21-06-2011, 06:55
I am purity, they call me perverted

Classic Rock is really not too bad a magazine to my mind.

Also, I do actually understand what they are saying for the most part in their comments even though my Manics 1-2 would be THB and JFPL. They are not talking from a Manics fan perspective. Although I think JFPL often gets condemned as darker than it really is because it is automatically cast as the twin of THB. I think there is actually alot of joy in that record inspite of the obvious (WLW, Doors Closing Slowly etc)

In the last few years though I have started to notice GT being held in far greater affection from critics for whatever reason that may be.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:01
Winterlover

I wish I loved Lifeblood as much as people did on here, I just don’t think it’s that great. Although the Classic Rock Magazine blurb below it is bollocks – I do actually like 5 of the 12 tracks! – “anaemic: a huge, wafty, water-treading record” is a bit harsh...

The real crime here as a lot of people are saying is that JFPL is not only considered on a par with KYE, but inferior to GATS, PFAYM and SATFT (that’s Send Away The Fucking Tigers)! This glaring flaw even made me ignore the claim that THB is somewhat inferior to GT...

Classic Rock Magazine clearly only employs utterly cloth-eared buffoons.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:16
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I....SATFT (that’s Send Away The Fucking Tigers)! ......
it would be a nice gesture of solidarity if everyone could now start using SATFT as a reference to this album. i appreciate i am in no position to expect people to do this, but it would be excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac185 View Post
In the last few years though I have started to notice GT being held in far greater affection from critics for whatever reason that may be.

i put it down to a mixture of rose tinted glasses and the fact that it is actually pretty good when compared to what albums get released these days. some of their greatest songs appear on this album, albeit mostly bass-free and tinny, but as an "album" it is somewhat disjointed and has a touch of filler about it.
blog
Old 21-06-2011, 08:22
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I wish I loved Lifeblood as much as people did on here, I just don’t think it’s that great.
Yeah, it's a difficult album to defend when someone calls it awful unless you want to challenge that person's opinion with your 'how wrong you are because it's actually quite mediocre, so take that' comeback.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:39
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
it would be a nice gesture of solidarity if everyone could now start using SATFT as a reference to this album. i appreciate i am in no position to expect people to do this, but it would be excellent.
I'll keep things going my end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Yeah, it's a difficult album to defend when someone calls it awful unless you want to challenge that person's opinion with your 'how wrong you are because it's actually quite mediocre, so take that' comeback.
Exactly. I don't think any album with 1985, Empty Souls, Solitude Sometimes Is & Cardiff Afterlife on it could be truly awful. But I do find a lot of it cold and pretty forgettable.