Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-02-2018, 16:21
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
Surely the acoustic version has to be released
In the olden days it would have been a place-filler on a single.
Old 16-02-2018, 17:06
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
In the olden days it would have been a place-filler on a single.
Oh really... well I think it's a good acoustic version regardless of the consensus.

It's not amateur or unworthy. I think its very real and I hope the band release that version.
Old 16-02-2018, 21:06
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
Oh really... well I think it's a good acoustic version regardless of the consensus.

It's not amateur or unworthy. I think its very real and I hope the band release that version.
You misunderstand me.

It wasn't a statement on the quality of the song; it was a statement about the tradition of the band including live versions, cover versions and alternate versions of existing tracks as ersatz b-sides on singles, because of the large number of 'exclusive tracks' that were required across vinyl, CD and MC when there were actually singles still being put out.

It was a matter of simple logistics in those days.
Old 17-02-2018, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
You misunderstand me.

It wasn't a statement on the quality of the song; it was a statement about the tradition of the band including live versions, cover versions and alternate versions of existing tracks as ersatz b-sides on singles, because of the large number of 'exclusive tracks' that were required across vinyl, CD and MC when there were actually singles still being put out.

It was a matter of simple logistics in those days.
Ok, I see what you mean. I'm not so familiar with the download formats and I bought a record player, so I'm looking to get the albums and singles on vinyl although some are more expensive. I bought most of my cds when they came out.

I've been a fan for 20 years and after all the great albums, I dont think a person should be afraid to post about them.
Old 17-02-2018, 14:53

This is gorgeous, upped my liking of International Blue by 20%
Old 26-02-2018, 10:56
Born to end

The thing I love is how contrasted the 2 versions are and how they both work so wonderfully.
Music does a lot of things for a lot of people. It's transporting, for sure. It can take you right back, years back, to the very moment certain things happened in your life. It's uplifting, it's encouraging, it's strengthening. - Aretha Franklin | MusicInDepth
Old 26-02-2018, 11:57
Winterlover

Yeah, you can't really get away with just putting a single off an album (once it's out) these days since there's no videos, no B-sides, or anything of note to get fans excited. Bands know this. Just look at how few of them even bother with coming up with artwork for the singles on their Spotify profiles for example.

On that basis, most artists are adapting their release schedules a tad. Some of them front load 4 singles and get them out in advance of the album. Others release the first few tracks or a random selection that aren't singles at all, leaving the singles themselves as a surprise. If you do want to release anything post-album, you've got to do something slightly different to get it in front of people. Looking around at recent releases, it seems most artists either choose to do alternate mixes, extended versions or (increasingly) "stripped" versions of certain songs.

The era of the single as we know it is long gone, and it's good to see MSP get with the program. Anyway, I digress. This version is not bad actually. This is wild speculation, but the question I had rattling around my head as I listened, was is this is actually how the song came about (rather than the loud version?)