Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-04-2009, 22:51
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Give 'em a break, this project's a self-financed labour of love for them. And they're very nice people indeed.
Neither of those things are important. "Self-Financed" isn't synonymous with 'personal art project.' They obviously want this film to be taken seriously so they themselves need to take it seriously. It's taken what like 5 or 6 years so far?! The fucking Lord of the Rings trilogy was shot and released in that time.

If they want to people to consider this a serious documentary and not a personal project they should have shot and edited in a timely manner, put together a decent website to promote the thing, and have some decent artwork designed. None of those things cost a lot of money - just talent and a bit of time.

This isn't unqualified opinion by the way.
Old 29-04-2009, 23:02
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Neither of those things are important. "Self-Financed" isn't synonymous with 'personal art project.' They obviously want this film to be taken seriously so they themselves need to take it seriously. It's taken what like 5 or 6 years so far?! The fucking Lord of the Rings trilogy was shot and released in that time.

If they want to people to consider this a serious documentary and not a personal project they should have shot and edited in a timely manner, put together a decent website to promote the thing, and have some decent artwork designed. None of those things cost a lot of money - just talent and a bit of time.

This isn't unqualified opinion by the way.
It is a genuine comic absurdity to try to compare anything about how this film is being made to anything about how Lord Of The Rings was made. Stop talking as if you know anything at all about this project or about how the film industry works, because clearly you don't.

Last edited by Bach Psychosis; 29-04-2009 at 23:05.
Old 29-04-2009, 23:06
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins View Post
They're quite pleasant yes

Considering how much slagging off theyve had on here, I'm surprised they haven't turned up with a vial of swine flu....
I think they should, we're overdue for a culling.
Old 29-04-2009, 23:39
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach Psychosis View Post
It is a genuine comic absurdity to try to compare anything about how this film is being made to anything about how Lord Of The Rings was made. Stop talking as if you know anything at all about this project or about how the film industry works, because clearly you don't.
I will presume you are one of WibblyWobbly? I put the caveat "This is not unqualified opinion" at the end of my previous post for a reason, I have worked in production as long as I was old enough to do so.

The reason I drew the comparison between No Manifesto and LOTR was mainly for humorous effect, but also to highlight the fact that it's taken so long to get the project completed. I fully understand the complexities and politics of getting low-budget, or self-financed projects of the ground, I know how difficult it is I assure you. The problem WibblyWobbly have is that people may stop taking them seriously and will lose interest. It would not be so great a problem if their PR was a little better. A nice website with some clips, some photos, and a detailed rundown of how the project was going that was updated regularly would go a long way to keep people's attention a little. If I wasn't a member of this forum I wouldn't have a clue what this project was about.

The web is the best marketing tool there is and it's free, they should be harnessing it.

Why am I saying all this, 'cos we all wanna see the damn film!

Last edited by Simon; 29-04-2009 at 23:44.
Old 29-04-2009, 23:45
I live to fall asleep

i'm not slating the credibility of the film makers at all. i'm sure it will be brilliant and more than worth a watch. but i must echo the opinion that an aesthetically pleasing vaguely professional front cover isn't a hard or expensive thing to design. THAT looks fucking horrible, cheap, tacky and lazy, and probably doesn't do the feature any justice at all.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 30-04-2009, 02:42
Bored of being bored

There is an interview with the producer of No Manifesto here. He talks a bit about No Manifesto about 12 mins in, but not a lot of detail unfortunately.
Old 30-04-2009, 12:55
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
There is an interview with the producer of No Manifesto here. He talks a bit about No Manifesto about 12 mins in, but not a lot of detail unfortunately.
Ah I remember him when he was filming me and I noticed he was staring into space and his camera was seemingly pointing at the ground half the time but I didn't say anything
This interview is from two years ago apparently, so it's notnew sadly
Would love to see some clips / photos / info about it on their site.
Old 30-04-2009, 21:46
Doors slowly closing

Ok...

I think the film poster is quality, it brings across the sheer energy of the band very well. I think it's great, and from what i've seen of the film i think it'll also be great. I wish them every success with it.

Oh, and btw having listened to the Producer's interview i notice he has his own band...they're pretty good!

Last edited by Radiomanic; 30-04-2009 at 21:55.
Old 30-04-2009, 22:20
I am purity, they call me perverted

WHAT! the cover looks cheap and horrible! It has a comic brick effect background for God sakes!
Old 30-04-2009, 22:51
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Maybe someone here should design a better poster and submit it to them! It couldn't be any worse, could it?
I think this an open invitation for someone to have a go at redesigning the poster - there's a few designy types on here that could give it a go I'm sure.

One thing that is revealing about the poster is the Moviehouse logo - they are a UK distributor so it looks like they are getting somewhere now.
Old 01-05-2009, 00:16
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
Ok...

I think the film poster is quality, it brings across the sheer energy of the band very well.
i'd say the photos they've used portray the energy of the band well, yes. but the execution and the way it's presented is just sub-amateur and horiffic.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 01-05-2009, 00:33
Bored of being bored

Quote:
If they want to people to consider this a serious documentary and not a personal project they should have shot and edited in a timely manner,
.... None of those things cost a lot of money
I guess they could have shot it on a mobile phone for no money.
Aw but think of all that fiddling about with bluetooth.
Old 01-05-2009, 00:55
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee bisom View Post
I guess they could have shot it on a mobile phone for no money.
Aw but think of all that fiddling about with bluetooth.
I was referring to the web page and poster not costing a lot of money or effort.
Old 01-05-2009, 18:07
Bored of being bored

Quote:
I will presume you are one of WibblyWobbly? I put the caveat "This is not unqualified opinion" at the end of my previous post for a reason, I have worked in production as long as I was old enough to do so.

The reason I drew the comparison between No Manifesto and LOTR was mainly for humorous effect, but also to highlight the fact that it's taken so long to get the project completed. I fully understand the complexities and politics of getting low-budget, or self-financed projects of the ground, I know how difficult it is I assure you. The problem WibblyWobbly have is that people may stop taking them seriously and will lose interest. It would not be so great a problem if their PR was a little better. A nice website with some clips, some photos, and a detailed rundown of how the project was going that was updated regularly would go a long way to keep people's attention a little. If I wasn't a member of this forum I wouldn't have a clue what this project was about.

The web is the best marketing tool there is and it's free, they should be harnessing it.

Why am I saying all this, 'cos we all wanna see the damn film!
You presume incorrectly. I do not speak for WibblyWobbly.

I will say, though, that you have an interesting way of trying to encourage people to do their best work.
Old 01-05-2009, 19:37
Bored of being bored

Quote:
You presume incorrectly. I do not speak for WibblyWobbly.

I will say, though, that you have an interesting way of trying to encourage people to do their best work.
My aim was not to encourage or indeed discourage, I was merely pointing out a few truths. I am sure they are doing their best work - I've seen their credentials, they've worked on high profile documentaries before - I don't doubt their abilities as film makers. Their problem is the perception people have of them.

Either way they must be listening, because there is a trailer on the website now