Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-07-2014, 21:55
Knowlede Is Power

This reminds me of a thread someone started a while back about autographs etc. Can anyone link me to the picture of a JDB signed Les Paul where he wrote D sharp (his favourite chord apparently) on the back? I'm going to the signing on Tuesday and really want to get him to write that on my arm and get it inked on?
Old 05-07-2014, 23:50
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
I met James very briefly after sneaking into a soundcheck at Brighton Dome. Saw him do Black Flowers and Yes on acoustic guitar from the side of the stage. Then when the soundcheck was finished the sound engineer assumed me and my mate were the support band and said, "Alright lads, we'll do yours in half an hour." Without thinking, "Ok, we'll just go and chat to the Manics for a bit" came out of my mouth and we ended up in their dressing room. I was just talking to James about how Yes has always been my favourite Manics song and asking him if he was going to play it that evening when security got wise and kicked me and my mate out. Lovely chap, really friendly and looked very apologetic when we got chucked out.
That's an awesome and very entertaining story! I don't think anyone would ever believe I was a member of the support band, so that's not an option, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristal17 View Post
I had the absolute pleasure of interviewing JDB at the Glasgow Barrowlands during THB tour. He is easily one of the nicest people I have ever met and by a country mile the nicest musician I have ever spoke to.v
Very reassuring! Didn't that frown on his face (which I've rarely seen him without, so I suppose he had it then as well?) confuse you or make you nervous though? That's what I'm worried about the most, to be honest, as silly as that may sound. I KNOW he does it all the time, and yet I'm pretty sure I'd keep asking myself whether I just asked a particularly stupid question.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:51
An imitation of dignity

Back in September 2009 I flew from Mexico City to Los Angeles to see them (it was a unique opportunity as seeing they may never come to Mexico and hardly ever go to the U.S.). Anyway, after the gig me and some others waited outside and met James (Nicky and Sean went to the bus far too quickly and I think nobody met them). He was lovely, signed everything that was given to him, took pictures with everyone that wanted one and chatted also with everyone. When it was my turn I told him that I flew just for the gig (which was true, I arrived on a Saturday morning and was back in Mexico by Sunday night) and he said "really? wow, come give me a hug" haha which was odd but a really nice gesture. He thanked me for doing the effort and told me that they would love to do a Latin American tour but "nobody has ever really invited us".

One of the greatest momentos of my life
Old 06-07-2014, 12:14
I live to fall asleep

Yeah met them a few times and always been so impressed by how totally lovely they are. I've even had the pleaseure of the JDB hand-shake, which to be honest I was dreading after hearing about it's ledgendary strength. He was so lovely, shook my hand and didn't totally crush it ( his hand was lovely and soft by the way) chatted for a while and when I said how much I liked the album he was really modest.

Sean was a total love and asked if I liked the new album and if I was going to any of the gigs (it was a signing when I met him, I'd previously chickened out of speaking to him when I'd walked past him in Manchester city centre a couple of years ealier on the day after a gig)

Nicky said he loved my scarf when I met him last, I was wearing a Louis Vuitton leoplard print scarf which I love, it was so sweet of him to noticed it .He signed a cd of mine and answerd a couple of questions about the tour and album. When I met him previously he was so lovely and spent a long time sat chatting to me about all sorts of stuff. I was amazed by his generosity and how he was so chatty. I know people say never meet your hero's well after meeting the Manics I'm glad I have, they totally confirmed what a fantastic group of people they are and I'm so glad I've met them.

Personally I'd love to have a drink with them and have the chance to have a real chat, or better stillgo to the rugby with them, now that would be a night.
Old 06-07-2014, 17:10
Freed from the century

Never met them or wanted to, I struggle with other people and know I'd just be tongue tied and bashful, but I'm so outraged at the moment I would happily go up to any of them and shout 'WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU DECIDED NOT TO PUT THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS ON THE ALBUM????'
Old 09-07-2014, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
Never met them or wanted to, I struggle with other people and know I'd just be tongue tied and bashful, but I'm so outraged at the moment I would happily go up to any of them and shout 'WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU DECIDED NOT TO PUT THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS ON THE ALBUM????'
Haha, yes, I'm with you on everything you wrote... apart from the Paris-part. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupernovaStar View Post
Back in September 2009 I flew from Mexico City to Los Angeles to see them (it was a unique opportunity as seeing they may never come to Mexico and hardly ever go to the U.S.). Anyway, after the gig me and some others waited outside and met James (Nicky and Sean went to the bus far too quickly and I think nobody met them). He was lovely, signed everything that was given to him, took pictures with everyone that wanted one and chatted also with everyone. When it was my turn I told him that I flew just for the gig (which was true, I arrived on a Saturday morning and was back in Mexico by Sunday night) and he said "really? wow, come give me a hug" haha which was odd but a really nice gesture. He thanked me for doing the effort and told me that they would love to do a Latin American tour but "nobody has ever really invited us".

Aaaaaw, what a lovely story! A Bradfield-hug - I'm kinda jealous!

I suppose I'd totally freeze, starstruck and what not, standing next to Nicky or James, but I have a feeling talking to Sean would be really enjoyable. You don't see (or rather: hear!) much of him in interviews, but the few things he does say are usually quite hilarious. Great sense of humour, apparently. This snippet from an Uncut interview kills me:

Quote:
“Oh, you’ve done it now,” says Sean as James turns in his seat, eyes red like stolen rubies and shouts, “Brian Eno? BRIAN FUCKING ENO!?!?! I saw him once, walking through London with a scarf over his shoulder carrying a baguette,” he spits. “He’s the kind of person who thinks doing that is great.”
Old 10-07-2014, 10:55

February 94, I was going out with a girl who worked at Sheffield Octagon centre. MSP had played that night, and it was a good night. I wasn't really into them that much at the time, but had gone along because I was a fan of James's guitar basically. I was loitering around having had a few too many beers waiting for my girlfriend at the time to finish work, and this bloke sat on his own tells me I looked like I needed a drink, and passes me a glass with a shot of vodka in it. I say thanks and down it, he produces a bottle from under the table, laughs and pours another for me. We spend the next ten minutes having a chat, I forget what about being slightly pissed, but he was a nice amiable bloke, and as pissed as I was. My girlfriend finishes work, and comes out, so I thank the drunk bloke for the drinks and we head out. After we walk out the building she says "Did you get his autograph?". I say "Whose autograph?" feeling rather confused. "Richey's" she replies. "Richey who?" says me.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:11
Winterlover

Met James for the 16th (I think) time on Tuesday at the Rough Trade gig. Always a pleasure to see him and yes, my hand is still killing after his bonecrushing handshake!
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 10-07-2014, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by who's responsible? View Post
February 94, I was going out with a girl who worked at Sheffield Octagon centre. MSP had played that night, and it was a good night. I wasn't really into them that much at the time, but had gone along because I was a fan of James's guitar basically. I was loitering around having had a few too many beers waiting for my girlfriend at the time to finish work, and this bloke sat on his own tells me I looked like I needed a drink, and passes me a glass with a shot of vodka in it. I say thanks and down it, he produces a bottle from under the table, laughs and pours another for me. We spend the next ten minutes having a chat, I forget what about being slightly pissed, but he was a nice amiable bloke, and as pissed as I was. My girlfriend finishes work, and comes out, so I thank the drunk bloke for the drinks and we head out. After we walk out the building she says "Did you get his autograph?". I say "Whose autograph?" feeling rather confused. "Richey's" she replies. "Richey who?" says me.
Seriously?!? That sounds like every fan fiction writer's favourite storyline - one of the Manics chatting the (usually female) "protagonist" up in a bar, attracted by her seeming ignorance of who he is. So relaxing to talk to someone who doesn't swoon over you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
Met James for the 16th (I think) time on Tuesday at the Rough Trade gig. Always a pleasure to see him and yes, my hand is still killing after his bonecrushing handshake!
OK, you people have convinced me. Now I kind of want to meet James just to see for myself whether all those rumours of his bonecrushing handshake are actually justified.
Old 10-07-2014, 18:23
Builder of routine

met them thrice now after years of being too scared to
Old 10-07-2014, 18:56

Quote:

Hola, I witnessed that! Everyone around you thought, "awww how cool!" You had a great moment there for sure. The thing that struck me is that the Manics always reference how far people travel to see them and yet they are still impressed. On a smaller level Sean thanked me for driving from San Francisco the night before and arriving in L.A. early enough to hear the sound check.
You must have seen the guy who essentially looked dead on the walk of fame outside after the gig. So Hollywood. I always wondered if that spooked Nicky and Sean to run to the bus (avoid the inquest lol). Ah the memories!
Old 10-07-2014, 19:03

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp View Post
Hola, I witnessed that! Everyone around you thought, "awww how cool!" You had a great moment there for sure.
Do you guys actually know each other? Otherwise: nice coincidence!
Old 10-07-2014, 19:07

Yes, I had about quarter of an hour with Nicky after the Leicester Uni 1992, which was the night they did TOTP for "You Love Us". He was lovely and warm and chatty, and was quite disgusted with the meatheads that were pawing a female crowdsurfer which, if I remember correctly is why they stopped the gig briefly. I spoke briefly to Richey and James as they were being pestered by girls and drunks, Sean signed my GT poster and then ran straight into the van.
Birmingham 16.5.91 (cancelled)- Birmingham 5.12.91 (cancelled) -Leicester 30.1.92 - Birmingham 11.2.92 - Leicester 16.10.92 - Wolves 9.7.93 - Swansea 8.8.93 - Leicester 26.1.94 - London 28.5.94 - Wolves 8.10.94 - Leeds 9.4.96 - Birmingham 12.10.96 - Birmingham 6.4.97 - London 12.4.97 - Cardiff 13.9.98 - Stoke 21.9.98 - Manchester 11.12.98 - London 15.12.98 - Birmingham 18.12.98 - Cardiff 21.12.98 - Kinross 13.7.99 - Stafford 22.8.99 - London 7.2.01 - Manchester 27+28.3.01 - London 30+31.3.01 - Reading 25.8.01 - London 12.9.01 - London 7.12.02 - Brighton 12.12.02 - Brighton 4.12.04 - London 9.12.04 - London 8.7.06 - London 19.10.06 - London 29.5.07 - London 11.12.07 - London 28.2.08 - London 29.5.09 - London 17.12.11 - Brixton 12.4.14 - Hoxton 8.7.14 - London 16.12.14
Old 16-07-2014, 13:57

I have to start my story off by saying I feared ever meeting the band because they mean so much to me, I have met countless bands some small and some as huge as Metallica, but the Manics are far far beyond anyone else.

The first meeting I had with James was a total fluke, I had managed to get tickets for the secret show at Newcastle o2 a few years ago, I headed straight to the venue around 5pm and could hear Kevin Carter being played as clear as day, when I walked around the back of the venue I could see the doors were open which is me and my friend could hear the band so clearly. We were over the moon just to hear the band soundchecking, the band stopped playing and we waited to hear if they would play anything else then out of nowhere JDB walks out. Now James is an utter god to me and as I have explained I never imagined meeting him, I had a brief chat which I cant remember anything of and then he signed my ticket!

Over the moon.

The second time was after a gig at the Carlisle Sands, I had travelled from Newcastle with some mates, after the gig we were standing around waiting for a taxi to pick us up from the venue when someone said it would be better if we stood under shelter. We literally walked next to the tour bus as Nicky was walking out but he said he had an urgent phonecall to make, a few minutes later James walked out and I talked to him for 5 or so minutes, had my photo taken and he signed my You Love Us gatefild vinyl. After that Mr Moore walked out, same drill for some reason I was really taken back by how talkative he was, maybe because you dont hear much from him in interviews etc. I walked away buzzing that I had two signatures on my vinyl, my friend grabbed it off me and walked over to Sean and explained how much of a fan I am, "Is there anyway you could get Nicky to sign it for him." I'll never forget what happened next, Sean held up the vinyl as if not to damaged it, explained to everyone that he would be back to sign stuff for everyone in a moment and went onto the bus, a minute or so later he came back with it with Nickys signature on it.

I was over the moon, I'll never forget that because he certainly didnt need to do that!

They all seem like really friendly blokes.
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

@cav81
www.scottmichaelcavagan.co.uk
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
www.soundcloud.com/visionsofmadness
Old 18-07-2014, 11:42

met the band after a gig in the ulster hall during the rewind the film tour. all photos went well bar the one with james. The girl kept taking selfies but james let it go and eventually we got a nice picture. he also nearly destroyed my hand with his handshake....