Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-09-2009, 22:48
I live to fall asleep

Meeting random Manics fans

Don't you love when you meet Manics fans?I was out tonight and mentioned the Manics while in a restaurant and some guy who was in our party asked me what I said regarding them. I told him I liked them and from then on we had a great conversation about their albums and songs. It really made my day, he knew all them and their albums so he was not just a casual fan and I asked him if he was a forum member of FD but he said he wasn't. Anyway, nothing important I know, but to me it was a real a highlight just meeting someone who lives in the same town and loves the Manics!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:11
A self-made vacuum

I always get excited when I meet someone who's even heard of them. No one knows who they are here, typical as I'm in the US...
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46
Builder of routine

as I'm quite lonely in my Maniac Fandom, the meet-ups of Manic fans are always so happy! I finally feel that there's someone who understands me and doesn't look at me "...??!!!" if you know this kind of gaze
I've never met anyone random who's a fan. several times I've met people who remembered the title of YLA so when the other girl could sing the chorus of Indian Summer I almost started crying
They should be MORE POPULAR!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:31
Knowlede Is Power

Aye i posted my story on the YKYAMFW thread.
About this random girl who was my age who loved the Manics
good times
Old 05-09-2009, 09:37
Doors slowly closing

I was dancing in this club not long ago with my friends and a huge bunch of RAF guys (I think...they were definitely military). My friend suddenly grabbed me, drunkenly pushed me into this guy screaming, "HE'S A MANICS FAN!" We start dancing and he's shouting over the music, "THE HOLY BIBLE IS THE BEST FUCKING ALBUM EVER!" and I'm like "I KNOW!!!" The conversation went like that for a good half an hour over this hardcore dance music. God, that was funny.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:20
Doors slowly closing

I've met a few fans randomly, mostly reasonably casual. What I don't get is when you're at a gig and you see one of the 'hardcore' - you know, rubbish makeup, tatty leopardskin clothes - looking a complete mess essentially - and they're not forum members. How the hell do they keep on top of news?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 05-09-2009, 10:25
Doors slowly closing

yes good point UEF, i sometimes think about that too.

oh well, news travels like the California Wildfires i expect.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:26
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dext37 Fielding View Post
yes good point UEF, i sometimes think about that too.

oh well, news travels like the California Wildfires i expect.
Couldn't think of a more sensitive metaphor?
Old 05-09-2009, 13:01
I live to fall asleep

Met a couple who were really into them at a party couple of months ago. Made my day. They them put everything must go on. No one else took much notice but we were there singing every word. Fun times.

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 05-09-2009, 13:03
I am purity, they call me perverted

I was in a pub in Dublin yesterday night and was wearing my home-made "No surface all feeling" t-shirt, and this guy looked at it and shouted "Manics!"...made my night!
Old 05-09-2009, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtn View Post
I always get excited when I meet someone who's even heard of them. No one knows who they are here, typical as I'm in the US...
Same in France...that's why (amongst other reasons) I moved to Dublin
Old 05-09-2009, 13:32
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I didn't speak to him, but one day walking home a man was cleaning his car/hoovering the inside seats and he was listening to SATT!
So I stopped to listen. He probably didn't know I was a Manics fan and thought I was going to nick his car?
I did move my head and tap my foot in the rhythm of Indian Summer if that helped?
Sensing I was making him nervous I left around Autumnsong.

And the only other random was me playing YLAINE in my bedroom and a couple who live round the corner (I think, I've never met them but seen them before...) walked past my house and looked at me in my room with a look of
"Darling! He's taken our song? We can't sing it to each other now?"

And there was someone who had Everything Must Go who used to live up the road until half his family was arrested/ evicted/ taken into care so I wouldn't fall over anyone who has happened to have heard the Manics, Deets!
Old 05-09-2009, 13:35

PCP (which in itself, was VERY unexpected!) started playing in the nightclub I usually go to, and I saw some guys who really appreciated it. "The Holy Bible is the best album ever made!", were the first words they said to me. Then we discussed the new album (SATT at the time).

Last edited by La Boh้me; 05-09-2009 at 13:40.
Old 05-09-2009, 13:57
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtn View Post
Same with me. I'd never met anybody who'd heard of them until just a few months ago when I took a philosophy of religion class. During the first week of school my professor paired us off randomly to do group work, and as it turned out, the girl he assigned me to work with happened to be a Manics fan. Looking back, I guess it makes sense that two Manic Street Preachers fans would meet through philosophy of religion, but at the time it caught me completely off guard. When she asked who my favorite band was and then didn't react to my response with either a blank stare or the typical "I've never heard of them," but instead yelled, "Oh my God, I LOVE them!" I was so shocked that I was actually speechless for a few seconds. Needless to say, we didn't get much work done after that.
Old 05-09-2009, 13:57
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I never seem to meet manics fans until I started my new job at the same time as the JFPL tour was announced therefore one of my first jobs was to request the dates off. When i told people who i was going to see i was quite suprised that my expected reaction of 'who?' was actually replaced by 'wow, i love the manics, i saw them at T99 and they were amazing

it is possibly why i fit in quite well in my new job

JUST DIVINE BRILLIANCE