Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-03-2019, 17:29
I live to fall asleep

Know Your Enemy is 18 years old today

Know your Enemy was released on 19th March 2001.

My Manics fandom was at its height here. I loved the idea [emphasis on idea] of the Cuba visit. I loved Found That Soul on CD:UK. I loved the acoustic version of Intravenous Agnostic. I loved the song's guitar solo on the official website.

I still listen to KYE every so often. I LOVE the second half of the album. Dead Martyrs, My Guernica, His Last Painting, The Convalescent, Epicentre, Freedom of Speech, and Baby Elian are all low-fi, dirty, scratchy, half-arsed magnificence.

Some of the b-sides around this time were fantastic as well. Groundhog Days being my personal favourite.

They did get a bit fat around this period. And they should have done two albums instead of one. And the Cuba thing was a bit shit. But still, this was a good time in my Manics fandom.
Old 19-03-2019, 19:17
Knowlede Is Power

It was a great era and criminally overlooked by the band.

I know it’s not to everyone’s taste but a 20th anniversary - with gigs playing the album in full - would be immense.

They produced a lot of material during KYE and so much hasn’t been played (Dead Martyrs, Epicentre, Intravenous Agnostic once), and the likes of Year Of Purification which has been played a handful of times. I’d love to hear more live from this era, b-sides too.
Old 19-03-2019, 20:41
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I was wondering when it's birthday was. Really interesting time! Breaking up with someone (She walked away first!) and throwing myself into this album to compensate.
It wasn't the band's best look around this time but the album still stands up as a great listen.
I did see KYE on BBC2's late review show, but nipped out for a light (a smoke and had no idea autocorrect wrote "fight") and when I came back in I appear to have missed the review as it wasn't on the rest of the episode.
(Argh, why didn't I use the late lamented VCR to record it?)
Never saw it toured but still have the singles.
And still wish the band held their nerve and released them as two single albums, "Solidarity" and "Door To The River" wasn't it?
Maybe an anniversary could be those two albums as intended?
Although it was more Rock orientated than TIMTTMY, it was a lot more experimental than anything they'd done but you can hear how the limits on takes stopped the potential of a few songs.
I'd have KYE in my top five. A really overlooked time. And did they get their fingers burnt nearer the end of 2001!
But I remember Cuba being big news. Was Louder Than War shown on TV or was that a special Channel 4 programme.
Give it another listen, then take care when driving or operating heavy machinery while daydreaming of what a box set (One of their greatest b-,side periods... Fight me!) could consist of.
We know the Truth! It seemed easy to bring the band down a peg in the media, but KYE is a great album.

Last edited by Son of Stopped; 28-03-2019 at 00:07.
Old 19-03-2019, 21:01
Builder of routine

And I'm not on about James's appearance in 2001! I was more shocked over what Nicky did to his hair!
Old 19-03-2019, 21:07
Doors slowly closing

*feels old*.

I don’t have much else to add to my post of three years ago...

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...6&postcount=45

But ... 18 years already!!?

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 19-03-2019, 21:17
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
*feels old*.

I don’t have much else to add to my post of three years ago...

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...6&postcount=45

But ... 18 years already!!?
Hahaha! Reading that thread I seem obsessed with someone as that's probably the second time I mentioned them in relation to this album. Let it go! I'm letting it go... I'm ok... I'm ok...!
Old 20-03-2019, 00:32
I am purity, they call me perverted

I love the songs and videos from KYE.
Old 20-03-2019, 19:59
Desire on its knees

I recall one of the the band in an interview last year (possibly Sean?) talking about how they liked Baby Elian. Would love to hear them do that live though it’s unlikely.
Old 20-03-2019, 21:14
Bored of being bored

A strange period for the band but one that I liked. Can't help but feel that if they'd condensed the album down to twelve tracks it would be widely considered one of their best. Would be nice if the band would dig into for live songs and go past Ocean Spray and Let Robeson Sing.
Old 20-03-2019, 21:19
Knowlede Is Power

Dead Martyrs is immense!
It needs to be aired live.

KYE works best with headphones on.
It's really well prouduced.

Watsville Blues however is awful and gets ignored by me as it did 18 years ago!
Old 20-03-2019, 21:51
Banned

It's actually not as bad as I remember it. KYE always ranks low on my Manics' album list simply because it's the one I listen to the least. Now I'm thinking the band's negativity toward it is rubbing off on me and I need to give it a proper re-listen.
Old 20-03-2019, 23:29
I live to fall asleep

I remember it like it was yesterday. Not as bad as the band make out at all and definitely under appreciated by fans. It is very different as a whole, but it's a really great and varied listen. There's some really decent songs on there, I'll never forget when the official site was updated and it was just a dark thunderstorm and the insane guitar part of Intravenous Agnostic played and I loved it, forever loading up the site and getting excited haha. Right tune! I actually popped on the Cuba dvd the other night after a few beers and proper got into it, it's so different and brave and unlike anything else. I proper got into Watsville Blues and no matter how many times i've seen it I always feel a bit of Nicky's nervousness haha. Happy birthday KYE.
Old 20-03-2019, 23:53
Winterlover

Terrible. Sorry. It's 18 now. Wow. Ah well let it go its own way
I do like Epicentre but only cos it reminds me in a roundabout way of a Ted Hughes poem.
Sorry to intrude. I'm glad it didn't finish them though! It's part of their history and that's an aspect of the band I've always liked...this one isn't their best but they'll come back
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 21-03-2019, 03:20
I am purity, they call me perverted

I will always be fond of KYE despite its flaws. There's too much gold on it for me to ever ignore it - and Cuba was damn great too despite what they may say these days.
Old 21-03-2019, 03:43
Freed from the century

An interesting record - some of their very best stuff, but also some of their very worst. I guess to be expected on an album of that length. Personally, I would have liked a ten track rock record, given to David Holmes to do his thing on, but that's just me. I'm sure we've all got our own personal KYE tracklists.