Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-01-2019, 01:38
Freed from the century

In other news.. Journal For Plague Lovers 10th Anniverary

Only the Manics could do this. Amazing, sublime piece of work. Personally. I missed this tour in 2009. True shame there’s nothing planned for this. Gutted I missed the album played in full. Did many experience the tour? Personally, I treasure any 3 piece live performances.
Old 16-01-2019, 08:16
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoutus View Post
Only the Manics could do this. Amazing, sublime piece of work. Personally. I missed this tour in 2009. True shame there’s nothing planned for this. Gutted I missed the album played in full. Did many experience the tour? Personally, I treasure any 3 piece live performances.
It's a shame you missed it. I saw them twice in London. The first halves (the album in its entirety) were the best gigs i have even seen. TJSS strings made me shiver and the songs like All is Vanity worked great live. The only minus was the half-playback vocal in W'sLW, it was embarassing.
Old 16-01-2019, 11:24
Freed from the century

Sadly out of work at the time and didn’t have the finances. Shame there’s no profesionally filmed shows from the tour.
Old 16-01-2019, 13:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
I hope they play from JFPL on the May tour. I don't know if they will tour this album.
Old 16-01-2019, 14:29
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
I hope they play from JFPL on the May tour. I don't know if they will tour this album.
It would be great to hear some JFPL although, not with the heavy souped up current line up.
Old 16-01-2019, 17:31
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
I can’t see them doing a ten or twenty-year nod to it, sadly. Might get the occasional JCEQT or Peeled Apples in the future but it seems like a period that they felt that they had to do, rather than wanting to do.

Great summer that one. Went to the Brighton gig and it was brilliant.
Old 16-01-2019, 18:25
Bored of being bored

As much as I'd like to see the album revisited it doesn't feel very likely. The last time they played a track live off it was 2015... since 2010 they've performed tracks off it a grand total of seven times (JCEQ 4 times in 2015, MASH twice in 2011 and MJD once in 2011).
Old 16-01-2019, 20:36

Quote:
It would be great to hear some JFPL although, not with the heavy souped up current line up.
If they were in complete natural mode perhaps they could play a few songs. I also missed the 2009 tour. I wonder if they make changes on a 10th edition album.
Old 16-01-2019, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I can’t see them doing a ten or twenty-year nod to it, sadly. Might get the occasional JCEQT or Peeled Apples in the future but it seems like a period that they felt that they had to do, rather than wanting to do.

Great summer that one. Went to the Brighton gig and it was brilliant.
I can understand why they wouldn't re tour the album. It must have been amazing to see the first time.
Old 16-01-2019, 20:41
I live to fall asleep

I remember when this came out, I was so excited and loved it. Man it only seems like last year, not ten!!! It's a shame they don't play anything really off this album anymore, I'd love to see a few tracks done live except the Jackie Collins which I did see them play in 2010 I think on the Postcards tour. Such a brilliant album.
Old 16-01-2019, 21:48
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
I can understand why they wouldn't re tour the album. It must have been amazing to see the first time.
Yeah it was great, particularly as they had never done a full album gig before.

I can’t believe it’s ten years ago!
Old 16-01-2019, 22:23
Freed from the century

I do like the fact they played both THB and JFPL on their respective tours as a 3 piece with such Richie heavy albums.

Last edited by kevoutus; 17-01-2019 at 06:25.
Old 16-01-2019, 23:05
I live to fall asleep

They say you always remember your first, and my first Manics gig in 1999 will always be my favourite, but the JFPL gig was an AMAZING gig. To be honest the album in full was enough for me and I could have just left it there. This was the gig I met them afterwards as well. That was weird. I thought it would be amazing and I didn't like it. Was too real. Sean was lovely though.
Old 17-01-2019, 13:00

From what they have said in the subsequent years, the process of recording the album seems to have been a pretty painful one for them and it is understandable why that was. I think they have probably drawn a line underneath that experience and don't want to revisit.

It's a shame because I think it is one of their best albums and would easily be in my personal top 5. Some great songs on there and the version of Vision Blurred by The Horrors they did at that time was one of their best covers. I totally understand why they feel the way they do about the album though.

I went to see them on Llandudno on that tour and Wire had a bad back. He was in a right strop and didn't say a single word all night apart from singing William's Last Words.
Old 17-01-2019, 19:58
Winterlover

Quote:
Did many experience the tour?
Yup. Peeled Apples was absolutely colossal live. I thoroughly enjoyed the show I saw on that tour.