Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-04-2017, 19:50
A self-made vacuum

Truth Vinyl Re-issue

Truth is planned for re-issue on vinyl in August:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Truth-...reet+preachers

Not sure if this will have anything to do with its 20th anniversary next year, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually gets pushed back so it can coincide with it.

This will be the third time this album has be released on vinyl (after the original and Music on Vinyl editions)
Old 17-04-2017, 06:13
I am purity, they call me perverted

Sony are gradually reissuing various MoV titles, using the same plates, as part of their catalogue. It'll be pretty much identical, minus the outer bag and possibly slightly cheaper feeling sleeve.
Old 21-04-2017, 16:18

Any idea if they'll re-issue Lipstick Traces on vinyl?
Old 24-04-2017, 07:41
Freed from the century

I actually saw a used original pressing of this yesterday in a shop.

Anyone know if it's substantially better than the MOV release? I doubt it considering it's also crammed on 2 sides. This album HAS to be released across two pieces of vinyl.

And agreed re: Lipstick Traces. Would LOVE to have that on vinyl.
Old 27-04-2017, 04:44

This would have a be a double vinyl release, right? At over an hour, I don't see Truth being on one platter.
Old 27-04-2017, 10:29

The MOV 1LP issue is probably the best sounding long vinyl I've heard. It doesn't suffer much from the length at all.
Old 28-04-2017, 11:52
Freed from the century

I took the Hull ferry to Amsterdam and found a copy in a record shop there. It looks like a re-issue, for there.
Old 28-04-2017, 17:48
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
This would have a be a double vinyl release, right? At over an hour, I don't see Truth being on one platter.
It has been twice already, so who knows.
Old 28-04-2017, 19:14
Builder of routine

Know your enemy was re-released on one LP and that was longer. I'm not sure the difference in quality will be that noticeable anyway. Double albums for 10-12 songs are a good excuse to charge more in my humblest of opinions
Old 29-04-2017, 07:58
Freed from the century

No, there is definitely a loss of sonic quality once you pass the 18-22 minute mark per side. You can get away with more for less busy music but neither Truth nor KYE are in that category. It's ridiculous they were ever done on a single piece of vinyl.

Tony Visconti said this:

Quote:
"No matter how much you want that warm visceral sound there is one RULE above all that makes vinyl worth it: Keep your timings per side under 18 minutes. After that the mastering engineer is forced to reduce the level by 1 DB per minute. That means a 26 minute side is really, really quiet and feeble sounding. That means the surface noise, dust and scratches on the record are WAY louder than the music.

So, if you are a musician who grew up used to CD albums with 74 minutes of content you'll have to rethink your vinyl desires. Nothing has changed about this very physical problem since its invention. Your long CD album will sound like s*** on vinyl.

So, the inescapable rule is 18 minutes a side maximum! (Some would argue don't go over 15 minutes per side)."
Old 29-04-2017, 08:49
Builder of routine

You can't tell with my speakers I wonder if that's why we're back to seeing albums that are 40 -45 minutes in length .. so they sound good on vinyl
Old 29-04-2017, 10:56

Thing is, there were plenty of 50-odd minute single albums in the pre-CD days.

It's also worth bearing in mind that someone like Visconti is incredibly well versed in sound and will probably hear stuff that the average listener won't. I have 60 minute albums on single vinyl which don't sound noticeably quieter than 35 minute albums, so I tend to take it all with a pinch of salt.
Old 04-08-2017, 14:55
Desire on its knees

looks like it's out
Old 04-08-2017, 19:30
I live to fall asleep

Looks nice How much is it? About £20? Can't say I'll bother, a lot of money for something I'd play once and just stare at other times, but I guess it's nice for a collector to have. I only have a few Manics singles on vinyl, that's it, but at least I have the limited to 1000 Underdogs vinyl which I'm pleased with
Old 05-08-2017, 10:02
Stretched out in the sun

Odd that this has been pushed out now, so soon after the Music on Vinyl repressing and so soon before a potential 20th anniversary reissue.. Wouldn't be surprised if the band are working/going to work on a reissue box set and this has had fuck all to do with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Looks nice How much is it? About £20? Can't say I'll bother, a lot of money for something I'd play once and just stare at other times, but I guess it's nice for a collector to have. I only have a few Manics singles on vinyl, that's it, but at least I have the limited to 1000 Underdogs vinyl which I'm pleased with
Unofficial, but I'd like to treat myself to one of these one day;

I don't know why there wasn't a pressing like that original, think it looks great meself. Maybe there will be... We finally got a black vinyl Holy Bible a couple of years ago and now we've got a blue vinyl Everything Must Go so who knows..

I know Underdogs is 1000 only but struggle to believe it, always seems to be on eBay and Discogs for next to nowt. Collecting is weird, you'll pay more for less rare singles.