Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 16:55
I live to fall asleep

Jesus I doubt that James or the band has actually spoken to anyone from the band apart from Duff for 5 minutes. I’m sure they all arrive and leave at different times.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:26
I am purity, they call me perverted

After the limp wristed set that they chose for the gig they should just be thankful that Axl didn't rip them a new one a la his 'pigeons of shit metal' comment in 06. I had contemplated shelling out for this, thinking it might be a special gig but wow, i feel bad for anyone that went to this for the manics.

Would rate it barely adequate from the setlist and the videos i've seen.
Old 08-06-2018, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemejebus View Post
After the limp wristed set that they chose for the gig they should just be thankful that Axl didn't rip them a new one a la his 'pigeons of shit metal' comment in 06. I had contemplated shelling out for this, thinking it might be a special gig but wow, i feel bad for anyone that went to this for the manics.

Would rate it barely adequate from the setlist and the videos i've seen.
You might want to reconsider all that given the circumstances. Besides, who gives a flying **** about a support slot for some 80s-90s-whatever has-beens when there's a very recent death in the family. I mean it's incredible they even showed up in the first place.
Old 08-06-2018, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvidg View Post
You might want to reconsider all that given the circumstances. Besides, who gives a flying **** about a support slot for some 80s-90s-whatever has-beens when there's a very recent death in the family. I mean it's incredible they even showed up in the first place.
I agree with your sentiment to a certain degree. I fully understand why Nicky couldn't make these gigs (again, my sincere condolences to him) and am surprised that James and Sean soldiered on without him, I was expecting them to cancel the support gigs. But..."has beens"...the GNR? Oh please.
We were gold.

One day we will return
No matter how much it hurts.
Old 08-06-2018, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_unfashionable View Post
But..."has beens"...the GNR? Oh please.
So when did GnR last release a new album? Right, 10 years ago. And the one before that...? So yeah, as much as I personally like Appetite For Destruction, in my books they're definitely not relevant in any way and very much riding on former glories. But I'm not here to talk about them so that's it from me.
Old 08-06-2018, 17:43

You know, you're right, my comment was insensitive. I'd fully forgotten about Nicky's mum, it must have been terrible. I'm sorry for that.

However, I'd be pretty sure that even if the tragedy hadn't happened, the set would have been similar, if not the exact same, and just as mediocre. If they were planning on doing a set like that they should never have bothered accepting the offer to open in the first place.

GNR aren't the only ones riding on former glories.
Old 08-06-2018, 17:46
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_unfashionable View Post
and am surprised that James and Sean soldiered on without him, I was expecting them to cancel the support gigs.
I think they probably planned for this? I don't want to sound maudlin, but even with a parent with declining health, life moves on, bills need to be paid. The band do have a strong work ethic as well. When they cancel gigs, it's because they (or James or Sean anyway) literally can't perform.

I imagine Nick will show up for the last date (is it today?), due to the process being so slow in the UK, it'll be a month or so before the funeral.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 08-06-2018, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvidg View Post
So when did GnR last release a new album? Right, 10 years ago. And the one before that...? So yeah, as much as I personally like Appetite For Destruction, in my books they're definitely not relevant in any way and very much riding on former glories. But I'm not here to talk about them so that's it from me.
That's right, GNR haven't released any new material for quite some time but I don't think that makes them irrelevant really. If they were, they wouldn't be doing a massive sold-out world tour with millions of people flocking to see them. They have such a fantastic back catalogue of classic songs/albums and massive success that 99% of bands can only dream of. Personally, I'm happy I got to see them last year and I thought they still had something to say.

Oh well.
We were gold.

One day we will return
Old 08-06-2018, 20:44
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post

I imagine Nick will show up for the last date (is it today?)
Nope, GNR are headlining Download this weekend. I think the next show is the 12th.
Old 08-06-2018, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I think they probably planned for this? I don't want to sound maudlin, but even with a parent with declining health, life moves on, bills need to be paid. The band do have a strong work ethic as well. When they cancel gigs, it's because they (or James or Sean anyway) literally can't perform.

I imagine Nick will show up for the last date (is it today?), due to the process being so slow in the UK, it'll be a month or so before the funeral.

I have no idea whether they planned for this or not and that is not something I would really like to speculate on. I am aware the band have a strong work ethic but I thought they might want to cancel under such dire circumstances. It's up to them of course.
We were gold.

One day we will return
Old 12-06-2018, 19:07
Knowlede Is Power

I've personally been a fan of both bands for a long time and when I heard the news that the Manics were supporting GNR my initial reaction was one of immense excitement for James, Sean and Nicky. They idolised GNR growing up and, having seen some of my friends' bands supporting some of their heroes, I have a tangible experience of how they must have been feeling when they got that phone call.

I really feel for Nicky about his personal situation. It would have been tragic enough whenever the passing of his mother happened but, to happen on the eve of something this massive for the band is really unfortunate for all involved. I'm sure James and Sean must have been suffering from inner turmoil about whether to do the gigs or not without Nicky. On the other hand, there must have been a joint meeting, including consulting Nicky, whether to play them or not. I don't think they would have done them if Nicky hadn't insisted, "The show must go on." Of course all this is just speculation from some random person on the internet, but I do feel I know enough about them to join in this conversation.

I can imagine James in particular being gutted that one of his oldest friends wasn't able to make it to a show they must have DREAMED of playing as kids. I really hope Nicky can make the third show and he's doing as well as he can in this unfortunate and sad situation.
Old 12-06-2018, 21:20
Born to end

I take a bit of comfort in the fact that neither band has the original line-up, so... it doesn't really count, does it ?

Est-il possible de restaurer la vertu de la gratuitι alors que le diktat marchand indexe de maniθre paroxystique toute valeur ΰ sa dimension pιcuniaire ?
Old 13-06-2018, 09:49
Doors slowly closing

Music-wise, as we've seen you can get another bassist in to play the parts so it doesn't make sense not to do it.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 13-06-2018, 14:15

There may also have been a contractual obligation to go ahead with the gigs. To GnR I doubt they cared whether that meant using a stand in bassist as I doubt they're much informed about the Manics
29.08.92 Reading 92 - 27.01.94 Southampton - 27.08.94 Reading 94 - 18.10.94 Exeter Uni - 29.05.96 London Forum - 21.10.96 Exeter Uni - 16.12.96 London Forum - 09.04.97 Plymouth Pavillions - 23.08.97 Reading 97 - 19.12.98 Exeter Westpoint Arena - 26.06.99 Glastonbury 99 - 31.12.99 Cardiff Millennium Stadium - 25.08.01 Reading Festival - 14.12.02 Plymouth Pavillions - 15.12.02 Cardiff International Arena - 11.07.03 Move Fest - 10.12.04 Plymouth Pavillions - 13.12.04 Cardiff CIA - 03.04.05 Southampton Guildhall - 12.05.07 Cardiff University - 03.06.07 Truro - 06.12.07 CIA - 21.08.08 Newport Centre - 29.05.09 Camden Roundhouse - 22.10.10 Bournemouth o2 17.12.14 Camden Roundhouse 2016 EMG20 Swansea 2017 Carfest South 2018 TIMTTMY20 Southampton