Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-01-2015, 22:27
Doors slowly closing

And remember, almost nothing becomes a collectors item when it's sold as such...
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 29-01-2015, 08:55
Stretched out in the sun

When it's deemed collectable enough for scalpers to stick it on eBay within half an hour, it's a collectors item. Yeah, there'll be an initial rush and panic, just had a quick look on eBay and there's still a lot of stuff on there from previous Record Store Days. Maybe you've missed your chance with the multiple copies of Motown Junk you bought though, saying that there are none on eBay or discogs right now...
Old 29-01-2015, 09:07
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
I like the idea of RSD but in reality it's an absolute carrot-dangling waste of your time.
Yeah, it's a fantastic idea but the main reason I missed them in the past is because I had work or hadn't been paid yet, and inevitably they were sold out by the time I finished/was paid. Some queue overnight, some buy them just for eBay (like the 'beat the touts' rush of a ticket scramble). Good job I don't care about collecting as much as I once did, because the last thing I want to do is wait outside a shop for it to open these days.

And yes, they are collectors items. One single I wanted was limited to 30 copies and it was that band's first release in over a decade, so inevitably every fan wanted one.
Old 29-01-2015, 09:57
Winterlover

I like that RSD encourages people to spend in Independent Record shops, but a lot of real fans get fucked over by the scalpers who chuck them straight on ebay...

I'd like to see more Independent Record shop exclusive releases throughout the year rather than just one mental day!
Old 29-01-2015, 10:17
Stretched out in the sun

I do find it a bit cynical too. Sure there are people who go to independent record shops week in week out but I'm not going to pretend to be one of them. At a guess I'd say probably over half of my collection is second hand anyway. They do need the boost but I think it's probably kinda like a Christmas dog, all the fuss one day then not arsed.
Old 29-01-2015, 10:29
Administrator

If there's such a market for them to get this boost on one day you think they could spread it out and print more vinyls. Clearly more people would buy them. It's such a pain not being able to order online.
Old 29-01-2015, 10:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I do find it a bit cynical too. Sure there are people who go to independent record shops week in week out but I'm not going to pretend to be one of them. At a guess I'd say probably over half of my collection is second hand anyway. They do need the boost but I think it's probably kinda like a Christmas dog, all the fuss one day then not arsed.
I buy most of my music in Spillers now, but to be honest I rarely find it more expensive than online retailers like Amazon - it's sometimes cheaper - and quite often the same price as HMV or maybe a pound more.

I do still buy in HMV sometimes as well though, and occaisonally second hand.
Old 29-01-2015, 11:04
Freed from the century

This is a strange release… The Holy Bible has been available on picture disc since 1994. It was a proper vinyl release that was so desperately required, and it's great.
Old 29-01-2015, 17:37
Knowlede Is Power

Ugh these things annoy the fuck out of me.

I usually just stay back and stay patient and sometimes it pays off. Not sure how. I might just be lucky.

GREAT for independent stores though - deffo not against that. I use the one in Newcastle as much as possible even though eBay is tempting because I've got some great little bargains on there. Costs a little more (to buy from stores obvs) but I really do want to keep it alive if you get what I mean. The guy in there is lovely too.

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)
Old 29-01-2015, 18:55
I am purity, they call me perverted

If The Holy Bible were to be released as a picture disc for Record Store Day, would it be an international release, or just limited to the UK?

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 30-01-2015, 00:50
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by begging_to_be_cool View Post
This is a strange release… The Holy Bible has been available on picture disc since 1994. It was a proper vinyl release that was so desperately required, and it's great.
well no - it hasn't been available since 1994 - the limited amounts of it that were released that year were bought up very fast..so it hasn't actually been available since 1994 - it is now a very rare record! a new picture disc would be very welcome..it's not the same as the original 1994 version but i think it will be very welcome!
Old 30-01-2015, 08:22
Freed from the century

Picture discs have terrible sound. Would rather they released a proper 180g 2xLP if they are insisting on releasing another vinyl version.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:45
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
Picture discs have terrible sound. Would rather they released a proper 180g 2xLP if they are insisting on releasing another vinyl version.
Agreed.
Old 30-01-2015, 17:12
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
I had a bad experience with Record Store Day a couple of years ago. There was a White Stripes single and something else (can't even remember what now) I wanted. I realised it would be busy and I'd have to get there early and each shop only gets a limited quantity of each record and all that. I thought my local record shop (Flashbax, Crouch End) would be the best bet as it's small, a bit out of the way and wouldn't be too busy, not in central or Camden or somewhere music-y. I got there 10 minutes before it opened and could not believe the size of the queue. 60 people at least. I queued anyway just in case I was lucky. After 45 minutes queuing I got to the door of the shop and in the window there's a poster with a list of everything being released. The White Stripes single I was after was listed at £15. For a 7" single. So, even though I was skint at the time I thought, well I've queued this long now, I might as well get it. No chance. None left.

I like the idea of RSD but in reality it's an absolute carrot-dangling waste of your time. The scalpers only add to the infuriation. If I was in charge of one of the participating stores I would prepare questions on each band beforehand to ensure the records are going to genuine fans. Also I would have some type of system announcing to the queue when a certain record has sold out so that people aren't needlessly and epically wasting their time.

Be prepared to wait and potentially be disappointed.
I've been to the flashback store n crouch end a few times I'd avoid it on RSD tho as it's so tiny it can't hold a lot of people.. queueing would be even longer..10 minutes before is definitely too late tho' you need to start queuing from 5 am if not earlier

I've never bothered with it .. the london stores are way too popular.. i've had most stuff i wanted from amazon a few days later. Will the picture disc be super limited or just released on that day?
Old 30-01-2015, 18:30
Doors slowly closing

Vinyl is so last year.