Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 06-10-2021, 13:51
Under neon loneliness

I got an email asking me to register for the SSE Arena Wembley app, which I did. It then logged me into an AXS account (I think the ticketing org?) within that same app. Voila - tickets are there. They even have a QR code (which I obvs won't screenshot!)

Last edited by tzb; 06-10-2021 at 13:55.
Old 06-10-2021, 14:17
Bored of being bored

I've just checked and my ticket's not in the app. My ticketmaster account says it should appear within 5 days of the event. I wish they didn't cut it so close!
Old 06-10-2021, 17:27
I live to fall asleep

I checked my sse app and theres no sign of my ticket !!!
Old 09-10-2021, 09:19
An imitation of dignity

I wasn’t going to go to this (not a fan of arena gigs, Wembley in Dec 98 was one of the most soulless MSP gigs I’ve ever been to and swore never again as a result) but after the joy of last night, I’m now twitching somewhat about this one.
1997: Aston Villa Leisure Centre, Brighton Centre, Reading Rivermead, Royal Albert Hall, Reading Festival.
1998: Hereford Leisure Centre, Exeter Arena, Wembley Arena, Cardiff Arena.
1999: V Festival
2002: Brixton Academy
2009: London Forum
2014: London Roundhouse x 3
2021: Portsmouth Guildhall
Old 13-10-2021, 10:04
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdi View Post
I wasn’t going to go to this (not a fan of arena gigs, Wembley in Dec 98 was one of the most soulless MSP gigs I’ve ever been to and swore never again as a result) but after the joy of last night, I’m now twitching somewhat about this one.
I was there & it kicked off big time, Standing area of moshing big time, in those days to the intro to YSSSFMH, 2004 was terrible because you had alot of Razorlight fans & Lifeblood was not the Arena LP tour & neither is this for, this night.
Old 13-10-2021, 11:27
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
I was there & it kicked off big time, Standing area of moshing big time, in those days to the intro to YSSSFMH, 2004 was terrible because you had alot of Razorlight fans & Lifeblood was not the Arena LP tour & neither is this for, this night.
I missed the Lifeblood tour, wish I hadn't.

Back to Wembley '98 - I went on the first night, felt oddly detached from the performance from where I was. I remember 'She Is Suffering' sounding a bit too 'nice' and the cover of 'Train in Vain' felt a bit pointless.

That said, I also went to Exeter and Cardiff on the same tour - I don't remember much of Exeter but Cardiff was infinitely better than Wembley.
1997: Aston Villa Leisure Centre, Brighton Centre, Reading Rivermead, Royal Albert Hall, Reading Festival.
Old 13-10-2021, 13:06
Bored of being bored

Interesting how people experience gigs differently! I had an absolute blast at both Wembley '98 gigs, and at the 2004 gig there too. I haven't actually been back to Wembley since then though, so I don't really know what to expect this time!
Old 13-10-2021, 19:48
Knowlede Is Power

That Wembley gig in 1998 was my first Manics gig (and only my second gig ever) and I naturally loved it at the time. I have especially fond memories of Stay Beautiful and chatting to people in the queue, one of which I'm still friends with to this day. However, after over 20 years of going to live music now, I can definitely relate to what mrdi is saying about Wembley Arena being soulless. Having been back more recently, I wouldn't go again unless it was the only venue a band I wanted to see were playing. A perfect example is this Manics tour - I'd rather get on a train and go and see them in the beautiful and much more intimate Brighton Dome (where me and a mate weren't allowed into the gig on the SATT tour for sneaking into the soundcheck, but that's another story..!)

Sorry, I didn't mean to piss on anyone's fireworks here - it's just that the mention of that gig brought back a lot of memories for me. I hope everyone going has a fantastic night. I would definitely try and get as close to the stage as you can though - it really is too big and empty and getting down the front will improve the experience.

Last edited by starfucker; 13-10-2021 at 19:57.
Old 13-10-2021, 19:58
Freed from the century

Loads of tickets left, come on people get your tickers! I hope they haven’t over estimated demand. Maybe Brixton would have been more suitable

Were you crushed, Did I rush you, All my time is yours, My twisted heart is yours, The faithless shit is yours, The shameless fits of love that only smother you for moments, Until I fold them up and leave, All yours.
Logic will break your
Old 13-10-2021, 23:12
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
That Wembley gig in 1998 was my first Manics gig (and only my second gig ever) and I naturally loved it at the time. I can definitely relate to what mrdi is saying about Wembley Arena being soulless. Having been back more recently, I wouldn't go again unless it was the only venue a band I wanted to see were playing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to piss on anyone's fireworks here - it's just that the mention of that gig brought back a lot of memories for me.
This is it for me. Prior to ‘98, the largest venues I’d seen MSP play were festivals and the ‘comeback’ gig in Dec ‘95 at the same venue. (Which was very different - I was up in the gods almost side-on to the stage. James and Nick sat in front of me for a while during The Stone Roses’ set and like a dick I called James’ name and got a pensive wave from him - but that’s another story… )

Anyway - it’s probably subjective on my part but there’s just something about Wembley which feels a bit cold and impersonal, almost as though the connection between stage and floor ends up floating off into the rafters somehow.

Seeing the band at Portsmouth Guildhall last week was perfect - it’s a smaller venue than I’d remembered and the result is mutual engagement between band and audience. It’s how I prefer my Manics gigs and why i chose to sit out some of the landmark gigs in the past, like Nynex (97), Millennium Stadium (‘99) and the singles gig at the O2 - a venue which makes Wembley feel like the old LA2 by comparison.

None of this isn’t to say I don’t think the Manics should play the enormodromes - to the contrary, it’s always been an inevitability of their ambition and success. I’ve fond memories of Reading ‘97 and V99, when the lads delivered truly great sets.

Hope December is a special one for all who go, if there’s a ‘4ever Delayed’, ‘Roses in The Hospital’ or ‘To Repel Ghosts’ in the set that night, I’ll definitely be kicking myself for not going!
Old 13-10-2021, 23:34
Builder of routine

I don't mind arena gigs. London is my home gig so wherever they play I'll turn up. Feels rude not to I do prefer the smaller venues tho.
Old 14-10-2021, 07:04
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I think the problem with arena gigs is dependent where in the crowd you are. If you're not at the front, there's a fair chance you're going to be in a static part of the crowd. Unfortunately this has been my experience at the front at small gigs lately, it's fairly dispiriting when you're up and ready to enjoy yourself and feed back the band a bit of the energy, and everyone around you is either standing still or watching the gig on their phone livecasting to their two friends still on facebook. I've gotten over that hump and just disappear into my own world to enjoy the gig. but part and parcel of being a fan of a 'legacy act'. Still though, James at 52 puts a lot of energy into the performance while playing lead guitar and singing, it really puts the rest of the crowd to shame.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 14-10-2021, 12:35
I am purity, they call me perverted

Worth saying that although the modern Wembley Arena is very much a shed, the sound quality has been excellent every time I've gone there. Wasn't the case before the rebuild.
Old 19-10-2021, 13:13
Bored of being bored

Nah, WA is an Aircraft Hanger now surrounded by newly built Wembley City with shopping outlets & flats everywhere.

I could be there in 10 mins but if they dropped playing anything from the 1st, 4th & 5th LP I would certainly go but I can't take the singles anymore, I've only seen them twice since 2011 & that was the rearranged Brixton gigs.

I like this current LP but its not suited to an arena, I think the Manc gig got the best Set List overall in terms of 6 songs from the new LP. They will never sell it out, it's not 1998 anymore where they'd sell out an arena tour in less than a morning with 2/3 dates at each venue.
Old 19-10-2021, 20:32
Bored of being bored

Will be interesting to see if thy make much in the way of changes to the set for the end of the year dates. Whilst they seemed to up the ferocity of the playing on the recent tour they only played 19/20 songs a night, which is significantly down from the 23/24 typically for the RIF tour.... and the 27 different songs (not counting the acoustic teasers) they played across the thirteen dates was less than how many they were playing in single nights on the JFPL tour!