Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 08:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Scorcho View Post
My gut says Nicky here
I’m 99% leaning towards Nicky as well, LOL.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:25
Doors slowly closing

This isn’t even meant as a criticism particularly (though it’s not one of my favourite Manic B-sides), but I think it’s a horrible line in a horrible song about a horrible character from a horrible book. So very apt really. It does kind of sum up the character quite well. I would say Brett Easton Ellis probably bears most of the responsibility/blame/credit*!
*delete as applicable

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 04-08-2021, 08:52

Great song! Great lyrics!! Great guitars!!!

Old 05-08-2021, 02:37
Bored of being bored

I really like this song

(@ Razzle Dazzle Rose, maybe you could add a poll to this thread? E.g. Patrick Bateman: yea or nay.)
Old 05-08-2021, 10:37
Stretched out in the sun

I’ll take outrageously ridiculous camp like “Patrick Bateman” over bland and inoffensive mediocrity like the majority of RIF.

Okay, so there are 5 songs from that album which I actually do enjoy but my point stands! “Patrick Bateman” is at least fun!
Old 23-09-2021, 08:00

I'm told the question of who wrote this line has been put to Nicky in this forthcoming journal. No, really
Old 23-09-2021, 08:17
Under neon loneliness

If ever Sean wrote a lyric, it's this one

When I was in Blackwood on Monday I noticed the opticians is called "Batemans" and all I could think was

Last edited by tzb; 23-09-2021 at 08:24.
Old 06-10-2021, 19:46

I think they say Richey wrote it
Old 16-10-2021, 12:32

Nicky was asked this in Record Collector, he said he couldnt remember, he thinks it was Richey.

Personally its one of my favorite songs, i love the lyrics and the sound.
Old 16-10-2021, 19:29
Winterlover

American Psycho got a lot of attention back then and Bret Easton Ellis a lot of controversy.... to me Patrick Bateman thought he was bigger than God ...fuck God up the ass is just a piss take...and maybe a fuck you to the church frowning on homosexuality...no it's not their best song but I dont think richey always wanted to be taken completely seriously...there was humour there lost in the myth maybe...
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 23-11-2021, 20:59
Desire on its knees

Location: Back home at the Edge of the Earth AKA Deepest Darkest East Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
I find the song a bit of a slog but from this line onwards I think it improves considerably. I'd argue they could have removed a verse and extended the outro more as it's easily the best part for me.

In terms of an author I always assumed it was an early example of a Richey 'in character' song (which he moved more and more into by the time of THB/JFPL) but there is a fair chance that Nicky added some lines. Thinking about it it starts in the third person doesn't it ? ('he's a real cool guy') so perhaps it is more of a collaboration. Either that ,or its mirroring the way the book plays with identity reality and narration (from memory does it move to third person at the end ? Studied it for uni but that was a long time ago now!).

Part of me thinks it's a shame they wimped out of getting the choir to sing along to this line but a bigger part of me agrees with that decision!
Would have loved to study American Psycho at Uni! You lucky person! Why did I choose stupid Music, when I could have chosen American Psycho/Brett Easton Ellis Studies?! Seriously, I would love to write a piece on that book/film, I did film studies A-Level, and it was a great experience writing detailed essays about films.
I always loved Richey's character POV writing style, really insightful and creative, and could offer a great 'get out' card - "It's not about me, I'm writing about someone else!"
Patrick Bateman was always one of my favourite Manics tracks, not quite so much these days, but still in my top 15/20 for shizzle!
24/6/94 - Glastonbury Festival, 20/12/94 - London Apollo,21/10/96 - Exeter University, 19/12/98 - Exeter Westpoint Arena, 31/12/99-1/1/00 - Manic Millennium, 27/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 28/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 25/8/01 - Reading Festival, 14/12/02 - Plymouth Pavillions, 15/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 16/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 4/12/04 - Brighton Centre, 10/12/04 - Plymouth Pavillions, 11/01/05 - Cardiff International Arena, 22/01/05 - Cardiff Millennium Stadium (Tsunami Benefit Gig), 11/5/07 - Cardiff University, 12/5/07 - Cardiff University, 3/6/07 - Truro Hall for Cornwall, 21/8/08 - Newport Centre, 01/6/09 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 22/10/10 - Bournemouth Academy.