Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-01-2009, 12:54
Winterlover

That's a really sad shot, Sean's drums everywhere and Richey looking completely lost.
Old 21-01-2009, 13:00
I am purity, they call me perverted

Faster US vid was filmed on the last night of the Astoria gigs, you probably already know this.
Old 13-10-2010, 20:24
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
That's such an incredible photo.

There's been a fair bit of talk about this/these gigs (the 1994 ones at any rate) on here today. I'd be interested to hear any more stories about them if anyone has anything to share. We're listening to the bootleg* now, and Snoo's regaling me with the small bits of information she can remember.

It's kind of weird that, although I'm sure they were great gigs, the significance of them wasn't truly realised until a little while afterwards, I guess. Matthew did mentioned earlier that "they felt like the end of something" - did anyone else who was there feel like that?

I think being able to attend these gigs would be the one thing I would change about Manics fandom career if I could. Even though I was only 11 at the time...

*Edit: Although I wouldn't turn down a soundboard recording of this show, there's something about the slightly gritty audience recording which really seems to suit the performance.

Last edited by Ben; 13-10-2010 at 20:27.
Old 13-10-2010, 20:27
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
I didn't enjoy them very much really...but then I didn't really have a good tour...didn't really feel like anything to me, but then again I would have been utterly wasted against a wall somewhere!

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 13-10-2010, 20:27
Bored of being bored

I was there in 2007
Old 13-10-2010, 20:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
Well i have all three gigs on one video tape.
Ah wow cool - I don't suppose there's anyway you could convert these (I have no idea if this is even possible!) and upload them? I (and probably quite a few people) would be muchos muchos greatful
Old 13-10-2010, 20:30
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz Delirium View Post
I didn't enjoy them very much really...but then I didn't really have a good tour...didn't really feel like anything to me, but then again I would have been utterly wasted against a wall somewhere!
Really? What didn't you like about them? I assume you went to all three nights?

Also, FWIW, I think it's great that people like you (and Kevin) that have been seeing the Manics regularly since '92 are still seeing them now, and still love the band.
Old 13-10-2010, 20:50
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
Really? What didn't you like about them? I assume you went to all three nights?

Also, FWIW, I think it's great that people like you (and Kevin) that have been seeing the Manics regularly since '92 are still seeing them now, and still love the band.
There aren't many of us left, I do love Kevin he's a good mate, I miss our long letters though, damn internet! I went to all 3 yeah but mainly got pissed, threw up, and cried a lot. I fell out of love on that tour that's for sure. I just felt utterly detached at that time and wasn't enjoying the band or the music.

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 13-10-2010, 21:17
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyn View Post
Ah wow cool - I don't suppose there's anyway you could convert these (I have no idea if this is even possible!) and upload them? I (and probably quite a few people) would be muchos muchos greatful
They are in my parents loft but when i get a chance i'll dig them out. If they haven't warped that is. I bought them off a girl who sold bootlegs and videos who was involved with Terrible Beauty fanzine.
Old 13-10-2010, 21:26
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz Delirium View Post
I went to all 3 yeah but mainly got pissed, threw up, and cried a lot. I fell out of love on that tour that's for sure. I just felt utterly detached at that time and wasn't enjoying the band or the music.
I do remember you saying before that you weren't a fan of THB era Manics. I'm glad you fell back in love with them. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the gigs.
Old 13-10-2010, 22:43
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Dunno, I'd have said Glasgow Barrowlands by quite a long shot.

*sorry thats not entirely relevant to the thread I just like quality listing gigs*
YES YES YES

(Also not relevant, and not even related to what Ben's saying, but it was an amazing gig, I just have to emphasise it a bit more.)
I really don't mind if I'm being lied to

It's the facts of life sunshine
Old 14-10-2010, 01:31
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post

that's all I have to say
Are there any better versions of this photo?
Old 14-10-2010, 10:21
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
Matthew did mentioned earlier that "they felt like the end of something" - did anyone else who was there feel like that?
I vividly remember turning to the people I was with after the final night and saying: "wow, that was like it's the last gig they'll ever do". I've been kind of haunted by that ever since, because although I have generally seen them at least once on pretty much every tour since, in some ways it still feels like it was.

My other memories are pretty scattershot and too personal to be of much use. I remember staying on in London after my college term finished for Christmas and walking to the Astoria each night from Kilburn. I remember wearing army surplus and too much eyeliner. I remember the band (Nicky) being on edge, which I've since put down to the sound issues they were having. I remember my rather beautiful companions dancing in high heels on the tables they used to have upstairs but, strangely, not whether I joined in. I was at the very least stood on my seat! I remember getting very excited when James played Bright Eyes. I remember buying an 'I am hypocrite whore/stud slut cunt/cock piece of 20th century motherfucking shit' T-shirt. I remember sitting on the steps in the venue bar after the last gig, not engaging with anyone else apart from my friends (not that I was very outgoing anyway), and then leaving quite early, so it was definitely an odd night. I still have the ticket stubs/aftershow pass at home. After one night I bought a massive poster outside of the Faster/PCP single sleeve that I wish I still had, it took up most of a wall in my flat at the time.

I persuaded one of the girls I went with (both of whom were more committed fans than me in 1991-94) to go to her first Manics gig since the Albert Hall in 1997 when they played the Astoria again in 2007. She had such a good time that we went to see them at Brixton that winter as well. That made me very happy.
Old 14-10-2010, 10:31
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by begging_to_be_cool View Post
I vividly remember turning to the people I was with after the final night and saying: "wow, that was like it's the last gig they'll ever do". I've been kind of haunted by that ever since, because although I have generally seen them at least once on pretty much every tour since, in some ways it still feels like it was.

My other memories are pretty scattershot and too personal to be of much use. I remember staying on in London after my college term finished for Christmas and walking to the Astoria each night from Kilburn. I remember wearing army surplus and too much eyeliner. I remember the band (Nicky) being on edge, which I've since put down to the sound issues they were having. I remember my rather beautiful companions dancing in high heels on the tables they used to have upstairs but, strangely, not whether I joined in. I was at the very least stood on my seat! I remember getting very excited when James played Bright Eyes. I remember buying an 'I am hypocrite whore/stud slut cunt/cock piece of 20th century motherfucking shit' T-shirt. I remember sitting on the steps in the venue bar after the last gig, not engaging with anyone else apart from my friends (not that I was very outgoing anyway), and then leaving quite early, so it was definitely an odd night. I still have the ticket stubs/aftershow pass at home. After one night I bought a massive poster outside of the Faster/PCP single sleeve that I wish I still had, it took up most of a wall in my flat at the time.

I persuaded one of the girls I went with (both of whom were more committed fans than me in 1991-94) to go to her first Manics gig since the Albert Hall in 1997 when they played the Astoria again in 2007. She had such a good time that we went to see them at Brixton that winter as well. That made me very happy.
That's really cool. Thanks for that. I like the little random memories. It helps add some context to the night(s).

It seems like a lot of people have/had very different nights there. You could almost make a Pulp Fiction style film of the evening (in as much as it would be lots of different people's views of the evening, all seperate yet running in parallel if you see what I mean) of just the audience.
Old 14-10-2010, 13:30
Footprint of history

Ok, I have another question: Was there still such a culture of queuing for Manics shows back around '92-'94? I'm guessing there probably was, but was it as extreme as it has been in later years?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just becoming increasingly more fascinated by these shows, and anyone who was at them...