Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-10-2010, 12:59
Doors slowly closing

I don't think they'll ever do it but if they did, I would prioritise GT and EMG over the rest. I think they'd have to play an arena show to satisfy the demand for THB night
Old 08-10-2010, 13:24
Bored of being bored

Ideally, I would go to all of them; if forced to, I'd only skip SATT and PFAYM.
Priorities would definitely be GT, THB, EMG, LB, JFPL.
Old 08-10-2010, 14:10
I am purity, they call me perverted

I would love to see them do the Holy Bible, they've already done JFPL in full.
And then when he chases up to me turn around to him with glowing green slanted eyes and a hissing beak going "YOU HAVE FAILED USSSssss...!"
O2 Arena 28-02-2008, Brixton Academy 21-01-2011, O2 Arena 17-12-2011
Old 08-10-2010, 14:23
Bored of being bored

It'll never happen. They have too many songs they've never even played live once, never mind played them recently. They have over 200 songs, only about 60 of which have been played recently enough to not require them to be completely relearned from scratch, and if we didn't know already, the recent channel 4 documentary highlighted their attitude towards relearning old songs.

GT: doubt this would happen. I imagine songs like Another Invented Disease, So Dead, Methadone Pretty and Condemned To Rock 'N' Roll have long since disappeared from even the muscle memory in JDB's fingers, never mind the words. That's before you even get started on the b-sides. Still, I'd love to hear an updated version of NatWest called RBS-Barclays-HSBC-LloydsTSBHalifaxBankOfScotland.

GATS: would never happen. JDB is clearly embarrassed by several of these tunes, hence why he can't even be bothered to do the Sleepflower solo properly. Drug Drug Druggy? Yourself? Gold Against The Soul? Symphony For Tourette? I don't think he'd want to do any of them. And there's no way he still knows how to play Comfort Comes, Are Mothers Saints or Us Against You, not to mention Patrick Bateman, which just isn't happening.

THB: possible. Yes, Ifwhiteamerica..., Abortion, Suffeirng, Archives, Revol, 4st 7lbs, Faster, TIY, DITS and PCP have all been played within the past 8 years I think, and Mausoleum and TIHOE are very easy songs to learn. There's also an obvious demand, and it's one of the few albums they don't look back on with embarrassment. Only three b-sides to relearn as well.

EMG: very possible. Elvis Impersonator, ADFL, KC, E/A, EMG, SMBTGITS, Oz and NSAF are all regulars anyway, and TGWWTBG, Removables, Interiors and Further Away are all pretty easy songs. There's probably quite a lot of demand (although I don't know why, since we see most of it on every tour anyway...), and it's probably the album they're least embarrassed about. If they did one album gig, it would be this one. Dunno about b-sides, like.

TIMTTMY: fairly possible. Everlasting, Tolerate, YSTSFMH, Drowning, Tsunami, MLE and Black Dog have all been played very regularly or at least recently enough. Dunno about SYMM though. Prologue is obviously an easy b-side for them, but the others might prove less straight-forward.

KYE: no chance.

Lifeblood: no chance.

SATT: possible, since they've not started slagging it off yet. Apart from Underdogs they played every song on the SATT tour, so they're all fresh in the memory. B-sides might be a problem though - I'm not entirely sure if The Vorticists doesn't need three guitars, and there are perhaps a few too many acoustic tracks which would just bring down the atmosphere too much.

JFPL: well, they've already done it. Would they want to do it again? I'm not convinced, in fact I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd never heard from JFPL ever again so it's anice surprise to see Peeled Apples and JCEQT on the tour this time.

PFAYM: well if they can't even play all the tracks on the PFAYM tour, how the fuck are they going to play them on an album gigs tour?

If we're just talking albums (no b-sides), then my order of preference would be THB, GT, KYE, LB, GATS, JFPL, SATT, PFAYM, TIMTTMY, EMG.
If we're talking b-sides as well, then the order would be THB, GATS, KYE, GT, LB, SATT, JFPL, TIMTTMY, PFAYM, EMG. I would commit heinous crimes if I needed to in order to see a THB album gig, as well as to see Comfort Comes live.

But I can't see them doing any more album gigs, the JFPL ones were just because that was a special album. At most, I could perhaps see some THB/EMG gigs, since those are their most critically acclaimed albums (and we all know the Manics only do things they think will be critically acclaimed). None of the rest, though.
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 08-10-2010, 14:35
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMANIC View Post
If they ever do any of these album gigs in the future, I just hope they film some of them for dvd release.
Yes! I would love to do GT, GATS and THB, but obviously any would do for me. I think if this ever happens I will sell all of my material posessions in order to attend every date. It would probably be worth running away from home too.
Old 08-10-2010, 15:15
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieslowski View Post
if we didn't know already, the recent channel 4 documentary highlighted their attitude towards relearning old songs.
What was this comment? I haven't seen that doc so I'd be interested to know.
Old 08-10-2010, 15:33
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
What was this comment? I haven't seen that doc so I'd be interested to know.
They were just going on about how they'd have to do 3 hour sets if they wanted to try and please everyone and things like that, which they're not going to do. The reality is they just can't be bothered rehearsing more than 30-odd songs for a tour (I'll believe this 42 songs claim when I see the evidence for myself!)
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 08-10-2010, 16:05
Doors slowly closing

They were asked to do it once but they said no because they were 'always looking to the future'. Crap excuse considering most the songs in the live sets are old ones! Anyway, i'd probably go to all of them out of curiosity but the Generation Terrorists one would be hard to stand!
Old 08-10-2010, 16:08
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieslowski View Post
They were just going on about how they'd have to do 3 hour sets if they wanted to try and please everyone and things like that, which they're not going to do. The reality is they just can't be bothered rehearsing more than 30-odd songs for a tour (I'll believe this 42 songs claim when I see the evidence for myself!)
I wouldn't even call it 30 songs, they probably dont need to rehearse much of the set as they play most of it all the time anyway!
Old 08-10-2010, 17:07

It would have to be Postcards 'cause they're playing bugger all of it on the current tour!
Old 08-10-2010, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
It would have to be Postcards 'cause they're playing bugger all of it on the current tour!
HA.
Old 08-10-2010, 17:45
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
They were asked to do it once but they said no because they were 'always looking to the future'.
HAHA!!! That is quite literally one of the funniest things I've ever heard any of them say. Looking to the future? This from the band that has just tried to rewrite EMG twice in 3 years.

What's that smell? Oh yes, it's BULLSHIT.

- Stewart Lee
Old 08-10-2010, 17:45
Bored out of my mind

If by some miracle they ever get over disliking half their back catalogue and not wanting to rehearse too many songs, then I'd want to go to all of them (although I would find GT a bit of long slog ). But I don't see it happening.