Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-07-2017, 09:38
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
They'll keep on making music but at least things in Manicsland aren't as bad as life in Status Quo!
Only Francis in it and "Last Night Of The Electrics" live album this month. I can accept media misquoting. But surely someone in their management would think "Too soon!" for a title like that?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:21
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Foo Fighters will never write anything as offensive as Autumnsong.
Oi!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-07-2017, 13:33
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Foo Fighters will never write anything as offensive as Autumnsong.
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you

At least Autumnsong has a strong melody.
Old 08-07-2017, 14:42
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

At least Autumnsong has a strong melody.

Pop quiz! Just for fun.

Are all these people in the image above;

A) Singing along to the self-evidently strong melody of Best of You over and over again?

B) Silently scratching their heads wondering what it would be like if only the song had a strong melody to sing back to the band, like, oh, let's say the Manics' Autumnsong, for example?

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 09-07-2017, 09:07
Stretched out in the sun

Seen a lot of reactions on social media since Nicky pulled out of the Madrid gig that I'm really uncomfortable with. Might be the same with fandoms or whatever but it seems a lot of people don't know where the line is.

All the band announced was a serious family illness, I'm not going to question or speculate who or what that's about. Some things come first, fair enough. The band didn't name names, but I've seen loads of people naming names, speculating, sending well wishes to the individual in question. I don't know what the fuck that's about. The band didn't name names, why does anyone think it's their place to name names? It's personal, and fuck all to do with any of us. What is it about, "look at me, I care", "I know something you don't know, I'm a bigger fan than you" or are they genuinely thinking that the band appreciate it? I swear, there are some fans who'd ask for a selfie at a funeral. Yeah, social media does narrow the gap between fans and their obsessions, but kin hell, have a bit of respect for their privacy. Maybe shit like this is part of the reason Nicky isn't on Facebook.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:48
Builder of routine

I spotted that too.. I would assume if the statement didn't mention names then the band won't like it. Depends who these people are tho.. are they just fans or do they know the family? Things are said with the best of intentions I hope rather than point scoring...

I was more offended by a comment on facebook saying that they should have pulled out because Nicky IS the manics..... um. Last time I checked there were three members ..cheeky sod...
Old 10-07-2017, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Pop quiz! Just for fun.

A) Singing along to the self-evidently strong melody of Best of You over and over again?

B) Silently scratching their heads wondering what it would be like if only the song had a strong melody to sing back to the band, like, oh, let's say the Manics' Autumnsong, for example?

You saying that when more people like something, that automatically makes it better than another thing less people like?
Old 11-07-2017, 10:28
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I spotted that too.. I would assume if the statement didn't mention names then the band won't like it. Depends who these people are tho.. are they just fans or do they know the family? Things are said with the best of intentions I hope rather than point scoring...

I was more offended by a comment on facebook saying that they should have pulled out because Nicky IS the manics..... um. Last time I checked there were three members ..cheeky sod...
Yeah... I don't know why people have been doing it, but whatever their reason I don't think they should be. Plenty of comments on posts offering well wishes to the family, not naming anyone or anything, that's fine.

Hah, saw that... Yeah, think they'd probably miss James and Sean more than him. Unless they want someone to say summat daft.
Old 12-07-2017, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post

Pop quiz! Just for fun.

Quote:
You saying that when more people like something, that automatically makes it better than another thing less people like?
I agree with what you're saying slop101 because I think you could say the same if the Manics had played Glastonbury with The Holy Bible set, compared with the more known songs. Though I really like Autumn song because it's the Manics and I love the sense of freedom in the lyrics and music regardless if it's sing back.
Old 13-07-2017, 18:25
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
lol, no, not at all, I would never say that... you're saying that to someone who loves the Star Wars prequels, come on... . I'm just saying that I found it an odd thing to insinuate 'Best of You', of all Foos' tracks to choose, doesn't have a strong melody when thousands of people manage to sing it back to the band at length. Whether you, or anyone, *likes* the melody or not was besides the point I was making

As it happens I don't think it's one of the Foo Fighters best (heh) songs. And I quite like Autumnsong, although I rank it as one of the Manics' worst choices as a single (but that's no great criticism coming from me). But I'd agree Autumnsong has a strong melody as well.

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 13-07-2017 at 18:28.
Old 14-07-2017, 15:51

Can we agree that Nixon was THE worst choice for a single (a lead-single, no less) MSP has ever made?
(and I love Lifeblood)
Old 14-07-2017, 17:03
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Can we agree that Nixon was THE worst choice for a single (a lead-single, no less) MSP has ever made?
(and I love Lifeblood)
I would agree it wasn't a good choice as the lead single, where there are additional aspects to consider. The worst choice as a track to be released as a single in general though? I'm not sure really, that's a much harder thing for me to decide upon... it just depends how one defines being a poor choice of single I guess.

Old 14-07-2017, 17:06
Builder of routine

I feel it was a massive stake bringing out two singles at the same time for KYE was a bit much.
Have SWSS as a Christmassy single then FTS the follow up a few weeks into 2001.
Oh wait. Got a dose of Manics Hindsight again.
Old 14-07-2017, 17:16
Builder of routine

Quote:
(and I love Lifeblood)
Yes .. the bloody awful video can take some blame too
Old 14-07-2017, 17:40
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Yes .. the bloody awful video can take some blame too
But it had Nicky being picked up by either James or Sean at one point! Can you images me that sort of thing n a THB video? Would have been great, but didn't turn out that way.