Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-04-2018, 21:56
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTMA View Post
Luckily no one mentioned Heaven 17 during the making of JPFL, then.
Not sure what you mean. Marlon JD? Or surely not the whole album?
Old 30-04-2018, 22:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Not sure what you mean. Marlon JD? Or surely not the whole album?
Peeled Apples' chorus and verse of Heaven 17's Temptation. Thought it was commonly recognised to be a very close call so didn't feel the need to specify...

Last edited by PaulTMA; 01-05-2018 at 19:00.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:02
Doors slowly closing

If they still sold millions, I doubt there’d be a song they weren’t sued for. Bruce Springsteen would have a case against International Blue, Boney M for Distant Colours.

It’s no coincidence that Tolerate was the last time someone went after them.

A benefit of not being able to sell enough to oust The Greatest Showman is that they can carry on plagiarising to their heart’s content.

Anyway, the reason for Underdogs being removed is embarrassment. Whether it’s embarrassment over the cheap copy and paste editing or Nicky’s lyrics, it’s difficult to tell, but combine the two together and even Happyfeet knows the score a decade later.

The real mystery will always be how Jim agreed to sing it in the first place. Although in his defence he obviously couldn’t bring himself to sing the chorus twice...
Old 01-05-2018, 08:10

Quote:
Boney M for Distant Colours.
You know Rivers of Babylon was a cover, they didnt write it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NcbyzqILd8

Quote:
Why is Underdogs not on the SATT reissue?
I asked both Nicky and Sean, neither of them replied to me. They also ignored my questions about the singer on the last time i saw paris and the current location of Jenny Saville's Strategy.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:33
Knowlede Is Power

I really never got the dislike for Underdogs... listened to it again today, and it's a great tune! True, "The Edit" is there... but it doesn't ruin the song for me. I dunno, it's a fun couple of minutes... nothing more, nothing less
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 01-05-2018, 12:21
Doors slowly closing

I always mostly liked Underdogs, just not the bad edit (or the sweary outro tbh). I think removing the song entirely was an over-reaction personally, a fixed version of the track would have been preferable to me.

That said, I do think Welcome to the Dead Zone is a great track and worthy of being on the album.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 01-05-2018, 13:40
Freed from the century

I got the feeling they were just generally embarressed by the song for being misjudged, with the line 'people like you need to fuck, need to fuck people like me' and 'This one's for the freaks' was maybe a bit too derogatory to the fans and didn't really reflect how they felt about themselves.
Old 01-05-2018, 13:58
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi A View Post
I got the feeling they were just generally embarressed by the song for being misjudged, with the line 'people like you need to fuck, need to fuck people like me' and 'This one's for the freaks' was maybe a bit too derogatory to the fans and didn't really reflect how they felt about themselves.
I never saw the 'freaks' bit as derogatory at all. I think to do so you have to completely ignore the context of the rest of the lyrics, which makes it very very clear they are using the phrase empathetically (e.g. people who are called 'freaks' by others), if not actually sympathetically (including themselves).

The 'people like you...' lines I don't like cos I think it's just a bit clunky, a bit too much. I'm not opposed to swearing in songs where it works, but I don't think it really did there, IMHO.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 01-05-2018, 14:00

They should have replaced it with a cover of Morrissey's 'Papa Jack'.
Old 01-05-2018, 14:19
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I never saw the 'freaks' bit as derogatory at all. I think to do so you have to completely ignore the context of the rest of the lyrics, which makes it very very clear they are using the phrase empathetically (e.g. people who are called 'freaks' by others), if not actually sympathetically (including themselves).

The 'people like you...' lines I don't like cos I think it's just a bit clunky, a bit too much. I'm not opposed to swearing in songs where it works, but I don't think it really did there, IMHO.
I personally don't find it insulting either. I think that they were taking their ques from My Chemical Romance's Black Parade (which Nicky often spoke about positively in interviews at the time) and were trying to write something that was similarly unifying between band and fans. But in subsequent interviews, he seemed to imply it was a bit wide of the mark.

Plus, it was pro-tooled to death and ended up having clunky stop/starts on an album that was largely quite flowing and organic.

Personally, I would have kept the 10th year edition the same as the original. Kept it the same, 'warts and all'. But, lets see if we're having the same debate after the boxed set is released in another 9 years time.