Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-10-2010, 03:15
Administrator

Why does crowd not jumping mean a song is bad, or doesn't work live? Try a sigur ros gig, no one moves, doesn't mean they aren't great, or the songs don't work live. People need too get over the obsession that if a crowd isn't jumping around that they aren't enjoying themselves or appreciating the music. Especially as the MSP crowd ages.
Old 27-10-2010, 06:00
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Why does crowd not jumping mean a song is bad, or doesn't work live? Try a sigur ros gig, no one moves, doesn't mean they aren't great, or the songs don't work live. People need too get over the obsession that if a crowd isn't jumping around that they aren't enjoying themselves or appreciating the music. Especially as the MSP crowd ages.
Spot on.
Old 27-10-2010, 09:41
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post
1985 is the song I'd have to disagree with on that - it was one of the most crowd pleasing at the last gig I was at when that was played.
That one worked pretty well on the PPF gig I saw, and at the CIA in 2007.

I just think we have a dilemma here. The Manics now have a catalogue of songs spanning 20 years, and those 20 years covered a lot of ground musically. To try and condense that into a 2-hour gig, something's gotta go, and not everyone can be totally happy. I actually was.

It's actually hilarious to me that two of my favourite bands have had people bitching about their live setlists over the last couple of years for opposite reasons.

The Manics get criticised on here for sticking to the hits, the Smashing Pumpkins get bashed for not playing them enough. ( think the latter is as much to do with the public perception of a band that splits and reforms and the connotations of a nostalgia act, and the Pumpkins of 2007 onwards are anything but.

I was more than happy with the Manics set on Saturday, and I fail to see the problem. This is one of the reasons I end up hating the internet. It gives certain people a voice, who use it to bitch about something because it's not what THEY want, and they delude themselves that they want is what everyone else wants. I'm see it on wrestling sites I frequent, I see it on youtube, I'm seeing it on this website as well.

I guarantee you that if the manics went out there and played relatively obscure stuff like "Patrick Bateman" for most of the set every night, they would not get the reception they do from the masses, and that's what they are shooting for.

Getting back to the Lifeblood thing, it bombed, plain and simple. Why would they play songs from an album no one bought, and that they themselves see as a failure?
Old 27-10-2010, 10:00
Doors slowly closing

The Pumpkins are a different point because Billy made it clear that although he's trading under the same name, it's a very different band and he wanted to make new music rather than just resting on old glories. A brave man in my opinion. Ok so you won't hear Zero every night but you've got a good chance of hearing a b-side or even a first airing of a new song.

My bitch with the Manics isn't that they don't play Patrick Bateman or a 10 minute psych freak version of Drug Drug Druggy, but that it's such a safe set that there isn't even one "wow I didn't think they'd play that moment." And to be fair to them it's not like they haven't done it before on big tours that are aiming at a mainstream audience (so excluding something like PPF or HMV instore for lipstick traces.)

On the first SATT tour they played Born to End, Die in the Summertime, Sleepflower, Freedom of Speech won't feed my children, Yes (acoustic), stay beautiful (full band) and 6-7 songs (that alternated throughout the tour) from the new album. The tour was of a similar length and of similar size venues.

So it's not exactly that they haven't precedent for throwing in the odd curio or rarely played gem. There's a happy medium between pleasing the casuals with the hits and putting in a rarerity or two.
Old 27-10-2010, 12:29
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Because I go in the pit to jump around and let off steam. I can't just fucking stand and watch the Manics.
Old 27-10-2010, 12:33
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse In The Bathtub View Post
The Pumpkins are a different point because Billy made it clear that although he's trading under the same name, it's a very different band and he wanted to make new music rather than just resting on old glories. A brave man in my opinion. Ok so you won't hear Zero every night but you've got a good chance of hearing a b-side or even a first airing of a new song.

My bitch with the Manics isn't that they don't play Patrick Bateman or a 10 minute psych freak version of Drug Drug Druggy, but that it's such a safe set that there isn't even one "wow I didn't think they'd play that moment." And to be fair to them it's not like they haven't done it before on big tours that are aiming at a mainstream audience (so excluding something like PPF or HMV instore for lipstick traces.)

On the first SATT tour they played Born to End, Die in the Summertime, Sleepflower, Freedom of Speech won't feed my children, Yes (acoustic), stay beautiful (full band) and 6-7 songs (that alternated throughout the tour) from the new album. The tour was of a similar length and of similar size venues.

So it's not exactly that they haven't precedent for throwing in the odd curio or rarely played gem. There's a happy medium between pleasing the casuals with the hits and putting in a rarerity or two.
Good post. I agree with the SATT tour comparison; I think they got the balance right there.
Old 27-10-2010, 13:00
Doors slowly closing

I love jumping around a bit. At Newport i was standing on a step with a gap right next to me, which could have resulted in an injury to myself or someone else, if i started jumping around.

I generally don't jump around, unless others are also. In indoor venues anyway. Unless i have the space to pogo on the spot. It can be dangerous for other people. There was section of fans in Newport that were jumping around for a good bit of the set. I wish i had been in amongst them as it looked like fun.

As for going mental near the end of the set, songs like Mash and Tsunami are not going to instigate a mass pogo
Old 27-10-2010, 13:08
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.selfdestruct View Post
There was section of fans in Newport that were jumping around for a good bit of the set. I wish i had been in amongst them as it looked like fun.

As for going mental near the end of the set, songs like Mash and Tsunami are not going to instigate a mass pogo
It was good down the front in Newport, the roughest crowd I've been in this tour, although it wasn't as rough as some gigs from the past. Got plenty of pogoing in once the pogoers had moved in and those that couldn't hack it moved back.

You'd be surprised by MASH and Tsunami, they're always pogo-fests . . . the outro of MASH and the choruses of Tsunami!
Old 27-10-2010, 13:11
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Poet View Post
the outro of MASH and the choruses of Tsunami!
Just been thinking about that. Yeah, you're right. I could see myself trying a auld pogo or two, for the outro of Mash anyway
Old 27-10-2010, 14:19
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
Criticism is not unfair. It was embarrassing. Everyone can see for themselves here, I'm almost glad someone filmed it just so people can see how horrific it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azYwMx_0sFU

"YOU MAKE ME SICK LIKE THE AMERICAN DREAM!!!" Oh, God, just remembered the best bits are at 6.13 onwards.

OH.MY.DEAR.GOD...

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 27-10-2010, 14:21
Winterlover

Haha and the Youtube video says it "fucking rocked". Brilliant.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 27-10-2010, 14:31
Builder of routine

Quote:
abso-fucking-lutely! Could someone tell the band this please?
Old 27-10-2010, 14:33
Mr Msppedia

Quote:

"YOU MAKE ME SICK LIKE THE AMERICAN DREAM!!!" Oh, God, just remembered the best bits are at 6.13 onwards.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo oooooooo *tears out ear drums* may that band never befoul a Manics gig ever again
Old 27-10-2010, 14:36
Builder of routine

that youtube clip isnt as bad as i was expecting..they were alright. Singer needs to wear a skirt with that top tho
Old 27-10-2010, 17:04
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Criticism is not unfair. It was embarrassing, see for yourselves. I'm almost glad someone filmed it just so people can see how horrific it was.

Fucking awful beyond belief.

But nice comedy relief I suppose.